Need a new bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CJ21, Dec 9, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    So far I have been minnows and livers, because I cant find no shad. but I wondering is bream a good bait to try? but have not been coming empty handed on the minnows, so I dont know if they is eating them or not.

2. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    try using eels, buy an eel trap (30$) and experiment on using the trap. (im still learning but finally im catching eels) the cats go crazy on em , I just nailed A 20LB channel on cut eel.

Attached Files:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    First of all, as far as fish goes, try to use what is in the waters where you fish. Bluegill are usually everywhere. So are shad, but you have to net them. I don't know of anyone who catches shad with a hook and line. And it also depends on what your target fish is in regards to how you fish your bait. I can't offer and advice on blues other than what I have heard on BOC, so I won't. However, with channels, I have done really well on both bluegill and shad cut bait. The gut pocket seams to work the best, but don't forget about the heads. I seem to catch some bigger ones using heads, but the bite is usually slower in coming.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Where do you find eel traps?

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Gills are great for all types of catfish. If you can get them, use the live, use the heads, and use them as cut bait. Mostly, that's what I use because I can catch 50 or more in my little 3.5" cast net where I launch. The've done well for me. Besides shad, liver, and gills, there's shrimp. It can be productive. Of course, there are hundreds of other baits, but those are what I mostly use. Strangely, I've never caught a catfish on night crawlers.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have caught a lot of cats on worms.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

bream do make a good bait. As well as worms/night crawlers. Shad can be hard to find at times. I am not sure if the fresh water eels are in Alabama. If you can find bait shrimp (cheap) that might be worth a try. Are there any carp in the waters you fish? If so the make a great cut bait. But as always check your local regulations to make sure that whatever you fish with is legal.

8. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I use shrimp soaked in vanilla. Works great.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    this winter i have had a hard time finding any live shad or perch.
    I have been using frozen, cut shad and it has done a decent job, it actually outfished both live goldfish and minnows this weekend. But i have to change bait regularly every 2-3 hrs.

10. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    if i was you i would start usin them bluegills whole,cut,alive,dead no matter how you do it just do it.i would say 95% of the fish i caught was on bluegills.i caught a few on worms,shad even two on a bare hook. but in my book 3-6inch bluegills are a sure thing if anything.i even caught a crappie thet was about 15 inchs long and bout 1 1/2-2lbs at a pay lake on a bluegill bout an inch long.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    We can use bream for bait here as long as it is catch on a hook and line, but I am not sure about carp.

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Would you please explain the gut pocket?

13. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't use bream a whole lot, but use the head w/ guts, it's the best part.

14. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    The gut pocket is ther area between the ribs that contains the stomach, liver lungs ect. I do pretty goon with the head and them alive. But I have a question what about frozen herring?

15. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Bream is a great bait. If you start using them, get ready to catch some BIG fish! Good luck.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok thanks, for the tips guys.

17. juscatfishin

juscatfishin New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bluegill or cut bluegill work fine. Use what's in the area that you fish in.