Need a motor

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by whiskerbattler, Jun 19, 2007.

1. whiskerbattler

whiskerbattler New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK brothers i picked up a real fixer upper. It is a 1950 Arkansas Travler 14ft v-hull. It is going to need a bunch of work but with luck will be worth it. I need advice on how big of a motor is right and where i may find one at a good price. Thanks for all your help brothers.

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I rebuilt an Ark. Traveler about 20 years ago,(boat and trailer 150.00), a 1955.
    I put a new floor in it and recovered the seats, and put down marine carpet. I put a 50 hp on it but a 25 or 30 would have been plenty, mine was also a 14 ft. Had about 300 in it , used it for a year and sold it for 900.

I havent thought about that in years thanks for memory jog. Good luck on your venture.

3. whiskerbattler

State:
    Oklahoma
    well this boat needs some work got the dents and dings worked out sanding it down and prepping it for paint. It has never had a floor other than the hull and the seats are just three bench seats but i am going to fix them up nice. Any tips on floor transom and any other repair info would be great. Thanks

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Brandon, as to the size of the motor for your boat, perhaps this will help you...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38918

There is a library on this site which is jammed full of interesting and helpful information. You can find the library under the heading "get smart" located on the right side of the screen, in the white area.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Brandon, I have an old 18hp evinrude that takes the pressurized tank that would go with the Time period, if your going to restore your boat. I'll sell or trade. Good luck on the project. Later Andy

6. whiskerbattler

State:
    Oklahoma
    how much would you be asking for the motor and what shape is it in. Thanks

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I want 200.00 for it cash or trade, I'll get it out of the shed if your interested and get it fired up. I hadn't run it this year yet. Later Andy

8. whiskerbattler

State:
    Oklahoma
    what is the pressureized tank you speak of. What does it weigh about. And do you think it will be to big for the 14ft boat. What work does it need. and what do i have to add to boat to run it. Thanks for info in advance

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    This motor came off of a 14' flat boat. The pressurized tank is for the fuel system that was available back then. I can't tell you how much it weighs, but maybe Bubbacat, or Bob Paul can jump in. This motor pushed the boat pretty easily. Later Andy