Need a M/H or Heavy?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by DJH1, Jan 28, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm buying all new rods and reels this year to get a little more serious about my catfishing. I've already decided on Penn 220 reels, just trying to decide on a rod. I'm buying three of them, so price is definetely a big factor. Already gonna have to come out with about $150 for the three reels.

100% of my fishing will be done from a boat on the Mississippi River. Mostly behind dikes, around rip rap banks, and in deep holes that are in decent current, sometimes a lot of current. I'll be using 40# line, circle hooks, and sinkers up to 8oz. The bait will be either cut skipjack or small live baitfish. I've looked at a few heavy and medium heavy rods but can't make up my mind. Are the heavy action rods just too stiff on the end to use circle hooks? I've used medium heavy rods before and they seem to have a HECK of a bend in 'em when in pretty good current. Also, what rod length would be best? Found 6'6" heavy action sturdy stiks at catfish connection for around $20, are these gonna be too short?

I really need a heavy action rod with just a little more flex in it than some of the ones i've seen. I would love to have three catfish safari rods, but I just can't afford it unless I buy cheaper reels, which I really don't want to do.

Any suggestions?

2. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    uglystick tigers cost about 55.00 a good choice for the big river

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    MH ugly stick tigers are perfect for what you are doing,and in my opinion the best rod for the money on the market.i use circles 95% of the time without any problems from the tigers.

4. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    I can reccomend the 7'6" red wrap river rod. It have a great amount of backbone to handle the current but not to stiff so you can't see subtle bites. You can check them about at www.shop.catfishsafari.com

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had the Penn 220 gto's, and still have 3 of them, but I must admit that I like the Penn 209's much better! The level-wind is better too me and I can cast the 209's much farther. I have my reels on Surge rods, but on a "limited" budget, the Quantom "big cat" rods are half the price! Get MH for using circle hooks, you need some give in that rod tip to LOAD-up!:wink:

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Joey,
    I fish the Ohio River not the Mississippi, and have landed a few decent fish. I have one of the Penn 220 and 230 GTO's and they work good for me. I personally like the 6'6 M/H Sturdy Stiks and have them paired with my Penn reels. I think they are plenty long and have more than enough back bone to handle almost any fish that will come my way. If your on a tight budget, the Sturdy Stik is a great rod for the money. rspd507

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If your gonna be fishing the mighty mississippi river and casting up to 8 oz. sinkers using live bait or cutbait. Some of the fish you might hook-up with could be gigantic. I would recommend an 8' heavy action rod. I have a 9' penn rod that I like very much.

8. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    I hate to sound synical, but I went through 4 220 GTOs in one year..... Burned the drag out of every one of them.......... Needless to say I am no longer a big fan....... As for rods..... I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased a Bass Pro Shops Cat Maxx rod. I now fish with them primarily. I use the 7'0 mh action one piece. But depending on the amount of weight to be used and the current you will be fishing a heavy action may be more advisable. They are wonderful rods and are fairly inexpensive. I do believe around 30-40 bucks each.

9. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a 220, just got it actually. How big were the fish you were catching? Doesn't sound good as I also plan on saltwater fishing and hate to say but the current at the beach plus a 5' shark will work the drag in a reel.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use MH for all of my catfishing needs.

11. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    20 - 50 lb range......... I talked about this some time back....... I think bass pro must have got a bad lot or something.... My buddy has the same reels and has no problems with them....... I think Im just gonna stick with the abu's.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Okuma also offers some great and affordable rods. I have been using a custom rod from Skipper Rods in Ohio and am impressed. PM me and I'll send you his contact info.

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the 7'6 mh cat maxx rods from bass pro and Abu 700 ic3 reels. I love them both.