Need a little tip on this lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by southpaw, Aug 7, 2006.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    has anyone fished lay lake? if so i was wondering if there are any skipjacks there? whats the best bait on lay for big blues and flats? any tip would be greatly appreciated.the only fish i have tried for on lay is bass.i am sorry i said that but i have seen the light and changed my ways lol.

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I fish Lay lake all the time. There are skipjacks in the lake, but I like catching shad below the dam before I hit the upper lake. Also, blue gill are abundant around the docks and make an awesome bait for channels, blues and flats. Use them live for flats. Give me a PM sometime if you want to fish.

3. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the tip.i have to get better before i can fish.all i have is a little john boat with a trolling motor.so iam kinda limited to my travels on the water.i fish close to the marinas away from the big boats.so far it has worked for me i have caught 3 big blues this year 35 lbs was the biggest so far. how do i find skips in the currents at the marinas and what do i use as bait?will they come to light like a shad will.if so i can catch them in my throw net.plus i would like to get some suckers as bait.any advice on getting them?i will let you know when i can go.will send a pm maybe we can get together.

4. jwasted

jwasted New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have never tried to catch cats at lay but the bass fishing is always nice. I whould love to catch some cats from there also but do not have a clue how to catch them there.