Need a little help

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by fishfun, Sep 3, 2009.

1. fishfun

fishfun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    First off let me introduce myself, I just started on this forum a few day age and I am really interested in what you all have to say from the post that I have read. I have lived in Tucson for most my life but moved to Mesa for dental school. I love to fish for catfish, not a big fan of catching anything else. Like everyone who has catfished a lot I want to get my hands on a large cat. I have always done well catfishing but the largest one that I have caught is about 10lb, most of them are 6-8lb, I cant get over that hump. I have all the set ups for big cats but no luck. I know that you all are fishing the river, went out yesterday just to find a spot and I am pretty sure I found where to go, but if you all have a good location please let me know. Also how do you rig you pole, what is your set up, I am starting to think that I am doing this all wrong. Maybe I am not going at the right time. Basically I am looking for tips and advice for fishing the river. The SPR canals are getting a little old, and I am only pulling out 5-6lb fish from them. I am ready to catch some good fish, and I am willing to take any advice that I can get. Thank a lot for all the help.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    1st:0a25:to the Hood!!! 2nd there will be some arizona folks along to help you i am sure of it!!:big_smile:

3. fishfun

fishfun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Also do you all just get your bait fish just by using worms or do you all net them

4. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My bait fish comes from Creeks and ponds. My wife doesn't like to catfish because she has no patience, but she does enjoy bluegill fishing because it's non stop. If you don't have a bubble maker, I would suggest getting one to keep your bait alive. The one I have is a universal 5 gallon bucket top with the airaiter built into it. But I always have a partner to help me get bait. :wink: WELCOME TO THE BOC!

5. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Paul,

I get my bait fish via rod & reel, typically bread or worms for bait, targeting bluegill. Roosevelt, Bartlett, and Pleasant are great lakes for big cats, typically further up the rivers that feed them but the lakes themselves are good too..

I'm sure others will add to the info I've posted here...

6. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    do u have a boat? and what river are u talking about?

7. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    since u are in mesa u can go to the upper salt river above rosie if u take the young rd north before u cross the bridge at the salt river there is a road that u wanna take a left at sorry i don't remember the name but if u take that road there is a couple of little roads to the right one of them will take u to the diversion dam that is a good spot. but insted of turning right to go to the diversin dam if u go straigt a little bit there is a road that goes to the left i think there is a white gate there if u take that road it will take u down the river a little bit and there is some nice holes down there and most important big shade trees. and that river right there is never a bad option last time my buddy was up there the guy next to him pulled out a 62#er but i always catch cats in there. but go to the lake first and catch some gills. i hope that helps

8. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have the best luck catching gills with a little gold hook and a bobber with a little pice of worm but everybody has there own metheds

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First of all Welcome to the BOC, my rig is just the common barrel swivel rig "carolina" with a 4-5 ott gamakatsu offset circle. I use 6'6-7' MH & H action rods. I have a ABU 5000 and a KING KAT combo for equipment. My go-to bait is skipjack but will use cut gill heads/ live bream on occasion. Although now I plan on netting some threadfin & gizzards in hence I recently bought me a new castnet.:smile2: Anyhow hope this helps.. be sure and check the member library & my article in our "outdoor articles" forum.:wink:

10. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Paul, most of the stuff I learned is from here on the BOC. I'm not sure why you aren't catching larger cats, it sounds that you know where to find them, but the bigger cats will have their pickin's of prime spots or areas. If you are catching cats consistent in one location and they are all the same size then there are probably bigger cats in another area close by which is prime, prime spot, just have to fish for them.
    For channel cats, the best way to cover lots of area to find them is drift fishing with slip floats, if you are in the main river channel with current. My go to bait is fresh shad, if you can find them. I catch them in a throw net. If I do find them, I will catch as many as I can and freeze the ones I don't use and use them later. My second choice is fresh cut bait, usually carp or bluegills, use hooks large(5/0 or larger) enough for the bait and hook is always exposed. I catch them by using corn, bread, worms, mealworms, or my cast net. Best location is around boat ramps and docks, but there are other areas too, I can't tell you everything.
    For flathead cats, I like to fish areas with lots of snags, cover, deep holes, and adjacent from them are usually shallow flats, which I love to target at night using live bait on a slip floats. Some people say they catch flats on cut bait and live bait. For me I like to use live carp and gills, size are from 4" gills to 15" carp. I have caught them on balls of worms, crayfish, crankbait and heads of carp.
    To catch larger Flatheads you have to have lots and lots of patience.

11. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
  12. fishfun

fishfun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the tips. Gotabig1, I am fishing at the salt river a little above where the tubers start. I am not to familiar with the area so I have not gone to far up river. I dont have a boat, but on occasion some buddies will bring their boat. I think that a lot of what I am doing wrong is location. I tend to stay in one spot for a long duration of time because I will get a bite, or catch a few small ones. I recently read that if you are catching small fish, large cats are not in the area, anyone know if this is true? Hopefully I will run into you all out fishing!:smile2:

13. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Paul! If you're fishing from the bank and don't have that mobility, the best advice I can give is to keep fresh bait in the water and be patient. Sometimes you only have to move up or down stream 50-60 yards to get on fish. I am not familiar with the rivers you are fishing, but it sounds like you are doing Ok if you are regularly cathing 8-10 pounders. As far as your last question, as a general rule if you are catching alot of very small fish (fiddlers under a lb.), then no, there are probably not any big ones in the vicinity. But if you are catching 1-2 pounders which are adult fish in most waters, I would say that the chance of you catching bigger fish is pretty good. I regularly catch 1-10 lbers in the same spots. But like I said, if they are less than 12-14 inches or so, it seems like that is all you're going to catch. Good fishing, and good luck!

14. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Paul,
    Welcome to the BOC. I just joined in August also. Their is a lot of good info on here and a lot of good people. I usualy go fishing for the monsters about once a week, so if you want to go just hit me up with what nights you are open and we will see what we can do.

Humble

15. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hay fishfun i have never fished the lower salt river below saguaro. most of us are talking about the upper salt river above rosie i am sure there is flatts in there though. above rosie thats where all the big hogs are. and u dont need a boat u dont even need a truck u can get a car in there no problem

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Paul.

17. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
  18. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to the BOC Paul

19. Ms. Cat'n Around

Ms. Cat'n Around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC, Paul. There is plenty of helpful information to learn from on here, alot of great people to give advice also.

20. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Paul to the BOC, With all the catfisherman in Phoenix area I am sure you will find new spots, I fish on Roosevelt mainly closer to home. Welcome and Good Luck!