Need a little help/advice here

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by barboot1, Jul 26, 2008.

1. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    I made what I thougt was a great buy at my local Kmart last week. I bought a rhino rcbxl baitcast reel with the bait clicker (the big one) for $29.00 brand new! I got lucky to find them on close out so I snagged one up. I put it on a 6'6 shakespere tiger casting rod I had laying around just to spool my line on and test it out a little. I put on some berkley big cat flourescent green 20# line and rigged it carolina style with a 2oz egg sinker. I adjusted the drag and the dynamic tension knob. Heres my problem Evey time I cast with it it wants to backlash. I am no newbie to baitcasters I have several abu garcias I use all the time and have for years but none as big as this reel. What would you say is the problem and how do I fix it? I know its me or the way I have the reel adjusted. This reel is a beest and I really like it and want to keep it and use it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    adjust your cast tension knob to where when you have the casting button depressed your line or weight will just begin to spool off. Try casting a little side armed instead of overhanded.

Usually with bigger longer rods and reels and bigger weights you don't have to cast as hard either. You may have to use your thumb more also.

3. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks! I will try this. After I respool my reel. Gonna try some berkly big cat 40# this time around. This reel holds lile 300 yards of 20# so I should be able to get a bunch of 40# on there! As soon as I head up to cabelas I'm gonna switch my rod as well. Gonna get me a cabelas king cat 7ft mh rod. Thanks again. I will post my results and review of the reel as soon as I get some quality time with it:wink:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i thought they had 7s but they have a 6'6" 8' & 9' listed. id recommend the 8 or 9 the 6'6'' is only rated 8-20# and the 8-9' are 14-30 i have the 8&9 and they are some good $20 rods

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

6. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks. I think the 8ft would be a better rod to go with as well. Cabelas has a nice abu garcia kit kat rod combo going now too I might buy. An abu garcia 6600 with the bait clicker and a kit kat rod of your choice for $89.00. Not a bad deal.

7. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you might want to remember that when you put bait on youll have to readjust and it also has to do with the number of bearings in the reel the more bearings the easier to cast without backlash

9. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks for all the advice. I put some new line on this weekend #40 brekley big cat and re did the settings. I had no problems what so ever. I tried the side arm cast, Works like a charm and I got plenty of distance with a 2oz egg sinker carolina style rigg. Never got a single birdnest. I did notice ya gotta use your thumb a bit more with these bigger reels. But over all a nice reel nice loud bait clicker. I like it. Thanks fellas
    Brian