need a little advice

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by STALLIONDUCK, Jul 31, 2008.

1. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i fish this pond where there are enornmous channel cats and i can prove it me and my dad were fishin there one day and we both pulled in 10 pound channel cats about 5 minutes between and i saw one last nite when i was fishing there that had to be close to thirty pounds and i cant figure out wut bait to use ive used dip bait, livers, and worms. but i think the fact that they are fed has somethin to do with it. so if you could help me i would greatly appreciate it

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    get you some of the food they are feeding the fish and make a powder out of it with a blender.take it out and make a paste out of it by adding a little water.then take some wheaties and crumble them up real good with your hand.add the weaties to your paste till it will ball up and stay on a hook.put a float bout 12 inches above your hook and cast out.hold on they will bite.if bite is slow throw out a handful or the dry fish food to get them started.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    JD,johnnie Gave you some Good advice being that them cat's are being fed and they will be use to eating that fair. I also mighe suggest that you try some fresh cut bait such as cut bluegill or some skips,live or cut. I have had good luck with bluegill heads in ponds and lakes,just hook them through the eyes and make sure your hook is always exposed and sharp OK.Good Luck now go Knock Um Dead and post up some pictures when you catch them channels.:wink: J.D.

P.S.
    Anyone named JD is tops in this Old mans Book:smile2:

4. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ive got the same problem at a pond in a county park.The only cat we caught,a 7 pounder was caught by my wife on a nightcrawler at 9.30 pm.The park closes at 10 pm.Been back 4 times armed with small sunfish,worms,stinkbait,crawdads and even cherry chicken breast.Aint had a bite since the first and only channel cat.There is about 6 foot of vegation or moss around the pond.The cat caught was a spawning male and its belly was full of the moss.Ive tryed shallow and deep and just on the other side of the moss,no luck.Have watched people catch some nice bass.Maybe they feed these cats also?

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If those fish in that pond aren't being fed then find out what kind of bait fish are in there that the fish could be feeding off of. If it's gills catch ya some of them and try them for bait. Try them live, cut and any other way imaginable.

6. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I also fish pond with giant channels that are fed and i just chum the water and throw out cut bluegill right in the dog food(on a float most of the time) and they eat it right up!

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    find out what kind of fish are in the pond and use it cause thats what they will be used to eating.

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    couldent have said it any better. johnny know what hes talking about and in my opinion thats about the best advice your going to get right there.

9. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    I have learned allot on this forum and here is a real good tip.
    I have been in your shoes once or twice. This is how to catch channels that are spoiled to food.
    These can be caught easily if they are not to full.
    throw a handful of floating fish food in the water
    when thy start to boil like a swimming pool use this and hang on

go to the grocery store and purchase a loaf of soft rye bread. this sounds stupid but it works believe me.
    use heavy line, at least 20 lb test. that's my favorite
    use a eagle claw #4 trebile hook
    put a split shot just behind a barrel weight, so you can cast
    put the weight approx a foot behind the hook
    tie a good knot, such as a trilene
    make sure your using good equipment, can't empasise this enoughf, such as good line, hooks etc.

now take a slice of that bread you bought and wad it up on your hook and make a small ball covering the hook
    now just catch what you can eat and don't be selfish
    you can wip every cat out of that pond if your not care ful
    them big ones will think their getting the extra value meal of the food pellets

don't try any other bread other than rye. you would be just wasting your time, do some research, catfish love rye bread more than any other grain bread, There has been scientific research on this.

you must let me know how you do, because it will make my day hearing from someone in illinois catching fish the same way I do when I find fish like that

this only works in realy stocked ponds/lakes that are being fed to much fish food
    your after a diferent type of creature in this type of situation

10. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thnx guys for all your help. i went back out there last nite and it was kinda warm but too warm. well wut i did was took a live 4 inch bluegill and casted it out and then i threw 2 handfulls of that fish food that he feeds them out there and instantly within two minutes had a bite and fely him tug and then i set the hook and it took me 20 minutes to pull him to the bank and in that 20 minutes i had to go into the water go through trees go half way around the pond so needless to say it was a lot of fun and a u guys advice helped me to pull in a 22 pound channel cat my PB to this day for channel cats and maybe its just me but i count that as a fish of a lifetime in my book so thnx again for all your help and maybe ile see one of you illinlois guys out on the great missippi river one of these days or maybe 2 weekends from now lol

11. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Way to go, looks to me like you got that pond licked!

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Did you get a pic ?:big_smile:

13. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    srry guys i didnt get a pic it was midnight and we had no light. i almost fell into the water because i couldnt see. the way we saw how much it weighed was becuz we had a digital scale that lit up so if i can pull in a few more ile get pics i promise

14. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    Another way to get them to bite, get a good blood bait or blood flavered dipbait. There is no self respecting cat that will not bite on it.:wink: