Need a little advice on Missouri river catfishing

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by new kat, Jun 23, 2006.

1. new kat

new kat New Member

State:
    La Plata Missouri
    I am kinda new to this catfishing thing. i caught some as a kid but never went serious until recently. Did manage to get the wife into it tho and its something we can do together that we both enjoy. However, all we seem to catch in the local lakes and such are little ones. I would like to get into the fish that you guys are talking about out of the missouri river but don't know how to get started. I have a couple of big cat rods and reels spooled with 20lb line but really don't know what to do with them. Any help? I am pretty confident we would be content with a couple of stringers of 5-10lb fish. I do have a 16ft. jon boat with a little trolling motor but no outboard but m looking for one. Thanks in advance for the help I am sure I will get.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi rob and welcome to the best catfising site on the web. There are some big fish in the Missouri just waiting for you and your Bride.First I would recomend you useLive bait shad, bluegills,chubs or cutbait of the same. larger cats (channels,flats,and blues) prefer live bait or fresh cut bait.If your fishing from the bank I would try and find some structure log jams, wing dikes. Or channel breaks or deep holes in the daytime. Structure is important so try to find it if possible and place your bait by it. also when you get a motor it will open up alot of different options. I wouldent put the flat bottom on the big mo. with just a trolling motor though as I feel you would be asking for trouble it (the river) just runs to swift. but you might also try driftfishing on some lakes It works great, Just let the wind move you and you can cover alot of area. Hope this helps. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Rob, Welcome to the BOC. I'm sure all your questions about catfishing can be answered here..... not by me however, as I am relearning...:big_smile:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello Rob. Welcome to the BOC. Spend a few hours reading the threads on this website and you will be catching some fish in no time. Sounds like your rod setups are up to the task. Like JD said, a motor will open up alot of opportunities for you. Good Luck in your search for the big cats. You certainly are in one of the best areas in the country for the big ones.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the site.

What area of Missouri are you in? We might be able to point you in a direction that will get you closer to the bigger fish.

And don't put down the smaller lakes and such. They often have some pretty big fish in them. One of the smaller lakes around here did pretty well for me (and I know there are bigger ones in there) until I moved. Now I am closer to Truman Dam than I am to the smaller lakes so I fish there.

6. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Welcome to the board new_kat!
    You have come to the right place to learn about catfishing.

7. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    I don't know much about Biology, I don't know much about Geometry, but what I do know in bluefishing and best way to learn is the BOC...:misdoubt:

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Howdy and welcome. For the bigger cats, generally blues and flats, with the occasional channel, fish with live or fresh cutbait. Blues aren't that structure oriented other than spawn, and tend to be in DEEP open water. Usually right at the bottom of an underwater bluff. For flatheads, you can still catch 'em on the bluffs, but they are slaves to woody cover. Fish logjams for them. That's just the general guidelines I go by. To get more in depth you could visit the library. It's huge and gives great tips. And anymore questions just post 'em. Again welcome to the boc.

-Red

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    New one of the other brothers said it really depends on where you are fishing..I hit the Missouri around the Washington area and motor up stream..that is from years of having old motors that I was not sure of..now I have a new one but all my fishing holes are...up stream!.. We have been catching 2 to 6 pound cats the last few weekends and one 16 pound flat off a limb line in the main channel..that was after I told my brother flats would not be hitting in the main channel..shows ya what I know.. There are several areas I would be glad to show ya if you were in this area.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like the bite is picking up your way also Dave. Nice Job. The flats have been biting pretty good on the Miss in the main channel the past two weeks as well. Good Luck.

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Welcome to the BOC Good luck on the water

12. Tyler Boehm

Tyler Boehm New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When fishing from the bank, would you guys suggest fishing on the shallow side near the wingdams or on the deep side of the river?

13. Mike Bailey

Mike Bailey New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Howdy, have a look at this thread, another guy had your same question about the wing dikes and my answer to how I do it is in the thread. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?187855-How-do-I-fish-the-rock-dikes-on-the-Mississippi Like I said, this is how I fish the wing dikes, some other guys might have other ways, more than one way to catch a cat, good luck

14. bubbagut

bubbagut New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish the mo. From st louis to washington alot I use 2 differnt rigs. A sliprig or a 3 way.on the sliprig I use 4-6 oz lead then attach it to 10-14 in. leader with a 8 o circle hook. 20 lb. Line is good enough for what your after but I never use anything less than 40/b on the mo. Also braid is better than mono because of the faster current....less current drag cause its thinner. On the 3 way I use 6-8 oz weights.make sure the hook leader is longer than the weight line and fish it closer to you so the lines more vertical. For bait I prefer fresh cut shad the best but skippies or asian works good too. At nite I fish sandbars or log jams, and the day I fish main channels focusing on outside bends. I fish a 16 footer with a 25 horse it works just fine I've only crashed once.....yes I was on the news.lol but I wouldn't start boating on that river practice on the miss once you get your motor. The mo makes mistakes cost quickly...I was underwater faster than I could react.
    If you wanna go and see how. I do it pm me I live in o'fallon and have been serious catman for about 15 years. Plus I could use a fishin buddy to make my family happy as I spend about 95 percent of my time fishing alone at nite.hope this helps good luck and tight lines.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the USCA. Alot of river rats have the methods down some are local patterns and some othere patterns that will work on the MO or the MISS. I have a real good diagram of how to fish slotted wing dikes in my albums on my profile. I know I turned alot fo MO river guys and few Miss river guys in mooneye fanatics lol. Letten the cat out of the bag that skips are not the king bait of the river :sneaky:. Still waiten on one of thess guys to post back with a true monster caught on a live 10 to 12 inch mooneye or a sob story how they got broke off or bent out a hook. More infor than you will ever need here just read back as far as ya can in the MO rivers post or Mo section. Be a sponge and go get dem feesh.

Mike Bailey likes this.
  16. Mike Bailey

Mike Bailey New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the diagram, I've never fished a notched dike before, they're notching more of the dikes all the time