Need A List!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by IrishO'Brady, Sep 15, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Last Tuesday I headed up to Tennessee for some fishing. Got the rain gear, plenty of fuel, life preservers, all the equipment. I had everything. I had always heard to make a checklist for all boating... didn't think I needed it. Got all the way there , backed down the ramp... and lo and behold... I had no boat key. Still managed to use the trolling motor to get to one of my spots and caught a few fish, salvaging the trip, but it could have been terrible. Does anybody make/have a checklist they use before they go out?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I keep my key in the boat at all times, But yes I have a list also..

1.Poles
    2.tackle box
    3.bait
    4.Blacklight
    5.Inverter to power blacklight
    6.battery to power the inverter
    7.life jackets
    8.both finders
    9.long sleeve shirt
    10.digital scales
    11.camera
    12.old rag

Thats about it

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I am lucky in that I can keep my boat inside so I rarely have to take things out. However, I still have a list for those times when I take everything out to clean it. My key also stays in the boat. I am terrible with keys. If I lost the boat key it wouldn't matter if it was on a list or not!
    I would only add a few things to Riverking's list. First aid kit, marine radio, cast net, landing net...W

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

LOL...Those are the items I forgot, see why I have a list now....LMOA...Yeah definantly cant leave without the cast net, that actually has its own compartment in the boat, so i never take it out of the boat, but cant forget the landing net either...Got a brand new one last week, cant wait to dip in it the River, and put a nice cat in it

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Perhaps a cell phone ? I always carry mine. Also, a paddle. Even used it once to get close to a limb I got hung up in.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I made a list but I lost it. I just keep a list in my head, so far so good. Dont forget to put the plug in.:big_smile:

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    thanks a bunch for all yall's great info, Im compiling a list of all your collective suggestions - so far a few things I see that I have forgotten on previous trips... lake map and cell phone especcially lol- and the boat plug LOL and to put the two straps on the back on before I leave to head home... sheesh- maybe I should make a Boat list and a seperate "supplies" list
    keep the suggestions comin! :)

8. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    everything stays in the boat including key - spare key is in my truck just in case.the only thing i have to grab is bait which i have forgotten a couple of times.

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I dont make a list, but the week that I am planning to fish, I will make 30 trips to the boat and look in every storage spot and see whats not there. And hope when I get there I have everything, 9 out of 10 I do. There is no method to my madness.

10. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    yep, my key stays in the boat,
    I have a spare in the truck
    but my boat key doesn't have the key to the trailer lock on it.

If someone steals the boat, I think I'll come out money ahead.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Sunblock, sunglasses, shade to add a few.. You don't want to forget those out here in AZ.
    Regards~

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Chris, I don't necessarily have a list but I have an order in which I do things. I start by hooking to the trailer and finish with locking the gate to the back yard. I do everything in the same order and most of the time it all gets done. We also have a routine we go through in the parking lot before we launch the boat and this is where I run into trouble. I forget to do stuff my main fishing partner (my sister) does if she don't go. I finally get it together but I have to make a few extra trips from the boat to the parking lot Oh well.

st

13. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Yep been there done that. i got to the ramp and didnt have the key for the boat so had to come back home to get it. i didnt have to go as far as you did. got back to the ramp put the boat in and down the canal we went out to the gulf for fishing , got 6 miles away and stoped to fish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no tackle box ,,,,,,,,,had to go all the way back to get it ,,,6 miles ,,,in a boat thats a ways to go and alot of gas . so now i just keep the key in the boat and i made a list that i follow. and i can always add to it if have to.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I done that once, but I got lucky, I had a key to one of the doors on my motor home that would work. It was a little rough getting in and out but it turned it once it was in.

15. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    I don't use a list, but I keep the keys to the boat and trailer coupler in the driver's door pocket on the truck. I have a boat bag where all the boat gear, including electronics, pfd's, etc. stays. I keep the boat bag and tackle box together in the garage. Also, I tie the drain plugs to the steering wheel on the boat. So far, so good.

16. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I like the tip," Tie the drain plug to the helm. Maybe to the ignition key would work even better ??

17. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    sheesh you think as many times as Id forgot it Id start to remember by now ... maybe tape it to my forhead lol

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I should start using a list of somekind! I got clear down to my personal fishin hole and dug around in every pocket....NO freakin sinkers!!! I was cat-fishin too!! So I just played fetch with buck for an hour or so and came home! I think I'll make up that list now...LOL

19. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I like the boat bag idea and the idea on putting the plug with the key!

-Boat bag- Maps, hat , glasses, pfd's, sunscreen, bugspray, ignition key( with plug attached) rain gear, camera

- fishing tackle loaded aboard- rods/reels, tackle trays (sinks, hooks, rigs etc),spare spool of line(or two), boca grips, landing net, cast net, flashlights and boatlight poles,anchors and anchor roap, spare emergency rope, emergency flare, first aid kit( including hook remover kit)

-Coolers- drinks, snacks, bait in bait cooler and plenty of ice in both

BOAT CHECKLIST- trailer secured? locked? tow straps on? nothing left on to kill battery (aka my bilge pump Ive accidentally flipped on and left running till it burnt out) trailer lights working? good tire pressure?(truck and trailer) plenty of gas? plenty of oil? (I got a 90 hp 2 cycle)

LAUNCHING- put the plug in, lock tow straps in truck, get to gettin

hows this for a basic list guys? might seem overdone or stupid but hey safety first ya know? Let me know what I'm missing

Safety gear to stow away, so I'll live to fish another day. :)

20. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Good list, reminds me of my checklist when I had my plane. Sometimes we get in a hurry and get ahead of our mind, so a checklist is great. Think I will just print your list and keep it with my boat bag.