Need a large and inexpensive spinning reel, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JimG, May 23, 2008.

1. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As the title says, I need two large yet inexpensive spinning reels. Need the ability for long casts and the ability to hold heavy weight line (20-30lb mono). I was going to purchase a couple of Diawa DF100A Giant reels but the reviews are spotty, some say good and some have had failures. Shakespeare Alphas seem to be a little too cheaply built for my tastes. Have not tried the Shakespeare Tidewaters. I could spring for a couple of Diawa Emcast Sports but I'm trying to go a little cheaper. What say all of you? I'm putting them on two Diawa Beefsticks that are 9' and rated for 1 to 6 ounces. I'm aware that you get what you pay for as I do own quality tackle (Baitrunners mated to St. Croix rods) but I'm now on a tight budget.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    okoma reels are pretty fair for the price, i have one and like it . or you may try ebay

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I own a couple of different Okuma spinning reels. Id say that they are middle of the road on price, higher in quality. You can usually find one for around 50-75 bucks.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    My buddy has a couple of King Kat spinning combos and he is new to catfishing and really likes them. They are about $45.00 each. I spooled them with Ande 30lb.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim Welcome to the BOC. When you purchase fishing equipment look at it as an investiment. Purchase quality equipment and never have to look back.If you take a short cut it will cause you headaches in the future. What part of Illinois are you located?:0a18::0a25::0a25:

6. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Located in Fairmount, that's near Danville. I looked at an Alpha, Regal Plus 'Bite and Run', and a couple Okumas today. Nothing like my Baitrunners. Oh well I guess I'll look some more.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome Jim to the BOC. a Abu Garcia Cardinal 106 is a good choice it hold 150 yds of 20lb test line. I have one I think its a good reel even thou I aint try it out yet.

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You can get a used vintage Garcia Mitchell 302 on ebay for aroung $30.00 including shipping. :cool2: Tough as nails, large line capacity and made in France.

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    flea markets........

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    BAIT RUNNERS ARE HARD TO BEAT ,BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE DEFFERENT OKUMA'S THEY ARE NOTED FOR THERE SPING REELS AND I HERE ZEBCO 'S SALT WATER SPINNER'S ARE GOOD I OWN PENN'S AND THATN IS WHAT I LIKE GOOD LUCK

11. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    cat maxx from bass pro. they are on sale 30.00

12. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd buy a couple 6500 Baitrunners but just can't swing the cash right now. Had to buy a new TM for the boat and that blew the fishing and hunting budget for several months. And to make matters worse I need a new tree stand this year. Anyone try the larger Shakespeare Tidewater spinning reels? I do have 4 Shakespeare spincast reels on med/heavy UglyStiks that are considered 'junk' by many. I've never had problem out of any of them. I use them for nightfishing as they tend to be trouble free. 2 are EZ-Cast 85's and the other 2 are Synergy Titanium 20's. They don't cast too far and are not very smooth but like I said they have been trouble free for two years of hard nightfishing. I'll see if anyone local has a Tidewater spinning and see what it's like.

13. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Like so many things, quality goes along with price. If you buy cheap, you're gonna get cheap. One thought is to decide what you want and then start searching the after market. Ebay, flea markets, garage sales. You'll find what you want and then may have to pay to have it cleaned and maybe parts replaced. I believe that cheaps goods are false economy because they cost more in the long run to replace them. If you can, bite the bullet, get a good product and you'll find that with proper care it will last you the rest of your life.

14. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you have access to an acadmey sports store they have super large spinning reels that are way bigger than the alpha's for $ 30.00. They do carry them at my hometown store cant say for anywhere else.

15. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    That is the best answer and it holds a lot of truth. The Okuamas are okay and of the guys buy them for the price.

Check out Digital Dagger . . . they have some good prices.

16. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    try catfish connection okumas for under 60.00

17. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would highly recommend the Okuma Avenger. Good luck.

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    shakespeare tidewater oughta last ya if ya treat it right. i know a guy thats had one for about 3 years now.they are fairly cheap and hold a bunch of line.

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Jim,
    you didn't say how much you're willing to pay for these reels so i'll guess no more than 150 dollars combined. so how about the okuma coronado cd90
    it'll hold 390 yards of 20lb test and retails for 65-75 dollars depending on who you deal with. take a look and let me know what you think.

20. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Academy by me has some Optima big spinning reels for 25-35.00 or so. I bought my son one about 8 mths ago and so far, no trouble...