Need a good waterproof glue to use on canvas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 10, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks, for a project im working on.

Right now only thing I can think of is gorilla glue and i dunno how well that would due being submerged in water for hours at a time. Could use 2 ton epoxy but would take me to long to mix it up and apply.

Anyway looking for something easy to apply, will last in water for hours at a time, used on canvas and or nylon fabric.

oh yeah forgot to add, cheaper the better

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    go with the gorilla glue...that stuff will outlast us all...i used it on a rc boat my nephew has 2 yrs ago and it's still holding on

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks,

Ive never used it but ive heard good stuff about it. Looked at lowes, walmart, and craft store and couldnt find anything else that looked better

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Kevin,

I've used gorilla glue on wood and metal, it's great stuff. I don't have any experience with fabrics, but I think it will soak thru which may or may not be a problem for you. You don't say just how flexible you expect the joint to be, but the glorilla glue is pretty rigid. Maybe try it a small sample before you do the whole project.

One thing to remember about gorilla glue - it expands. If you're going to use it on fabric, suggest you set up some way to clamp along the entire edge, and make sure your clamps won't get stuck on in the process. You might try two pieces of wood, covered in wax paper or saran wrap. When the glue penetrates the canvas it won't stick to the wood, and you'll have a tight joint that won't separate the layers.

Dennis

5. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Some of us old timers used contact cement for canvas.

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks for help,

Im sewing the fabric also, using 20 or 30 # big game. The glue is just for added measure. Part of it will need to flex enough for it to be put into a O shape. May have to do little pieces at the time.

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa