Need a good flathead catfishing rod for my new reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ironorr, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I just recently received an Abu Garcia 7000C-3 as a gift and need a good rod for bank fishing for large flatheads. I will be mostly bank and dock fishing from rivers and dams. My question is what rod would be best for this reel to handle the biggest flatheads? I have been looking at the CatMaxx rods and they seem very strong. Any opinions on rod length, action, etc. would be appreciated.

2. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Ive got one of those catmax rods from bass pro shop, Its the 7' one med to heavy action. Its a pretty stiff rod, for me almost too stiff, but with a grown flathead it would definetly haul him in. I like to use a cat master rod made by silstar. they started selling them around here about 2 years ago. They are 7' also. I caught my biggest flathead on one-35lbs no problem. I like them cause they are only 20 dollars, and they are white or black.:cool2:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think most here like a 7 foot rods, though there are some that go up to 12 and 15 feet. I like the ugly sticks in mh the white one's work good. Others prefer the shakespeare tiger rods. Good luck on your hunt for your rod.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Congrats on the new Abu, The 7000s are sweet reels! I have a 7 foot Penn power stick plus that I am happy with, All stainless guides!

5. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    1. A 7 foot rod is a good all round rod length but if you need to cast far you may want to go up to 9 feet or longer.

2. A medium heavy or heavy action rod if you are going to be throwing heavy baits and weights. Some of these actions vary from one rod company to another. One company may have one that is rated heavy but compared to another company's rod it may be a medium. Be sure to try and find out what the line and weight rating is for the particular rod and try and make your decision from that. But, of course, (if you can) find a store that has a rod you can put your hands on, so you can feel it for yourself and inspect it etc. Look for good quality guides, reel seats, handles and workmanship.

There are several good rods on the market and there is also a lot of junk. Buy the best you can afford. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for."

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Georg... And thats a nice reel.. im going to be getting me one.. But i have a 6000 and a 6500 Trophy Collection. Abu's Ambassadur series reels have been great to me..... but i have them on Qauntum Big Cat rods..( second generation )... I would recomend a heavy action one... They run about $40 where im at.. im not sure about what they run in your neighborhood but i would assume it woulld be around the same, give or take... but they are inexpensive but very strong and productive... Or i would find a good size Ugly Stick to mount it on.... Just my Two cents on it.. Hope it helps...

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i have two of the catmaxx rods. one is a 10 foot heavy action and the other is a 9 foot medium heavy. i'd recommend the 9 foot medium heavy highly. it is more stiff then most of the rods out there, but i can cast everything from 1 - 10 oz with it with any size and type of bait. it loads nicely when casting, can really get a bait out there if you need to, and it's not overly heavy and cumbersum. the 10 footer i have is extremely stiff, and very heavy (weightwise). nice for extremely heavy lead and bait, but you need to be an olympic power lifter to get 2-3 pounds of crap (or carp) flying through the air for any distance. if i had to do it all over again, i would have bought another 9 footer instead of the 10, but each setup has it's place. right now i bank fish 100% of the time.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Gator, a member here and Sponser, makes custom rods that would fit the bill.

9. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The 9 foot medium heavy sounds like the one I'm probably going to get. Do you have the one with 9 guides or 12 guides?

10. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i want to say it's twelve.......but i'm not sure without going out to my truck and counting. it's a two piece rod. i would have prefered a one piece but the bass pro i was at didn't have it in that size. besides that it's nice to beable to fit it in the truck.

11. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have 3 of the 7000c3 and I have them on a shakespeare tiger rod. I cought my biggest flathead on it 50+ pounds the scales oniy went to 50 pounds.

12. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I have a 7000c3 on a Cabelas king cat pro Im a fan of long rods mine is 9 ft. I dont like bass pros line of cat rods as much.1 there black who wants a black rod for night fishing & they are over priced.I think cabelas is discontinueing the king cat pro their not in the catalogs any more but u can still get them on their website for under $30 their king kats are pretty nice to their also e-glass and their white w/ chartruese tip (great for night fishing) under $20.both have a sopft tip for detecting subtle bites but still have the balls to put the brakes on a monster when necessary.

13. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Get a tiger rod.

14. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like The Jim Moyer The Boss Rods Or An Ugly Stik Tiger. I Like 7 Or 7 1/2 Foot Rod.