Need a flathead catfish! - Help me with location

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fry Guy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Ok. I know they love cover and I've been using live blue gill. The problem is I do not have a boat and I don't know anybody around that can show me the proper places to fish for flattys.:confused: I am in missouri about an hour away from Truman Reservoir. If anyone could show me some good detailed pictures and maybe circle the areas they would fish I would be forever greatful for the information.:worship: PLEASE HELP!

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I know the feeling cuz I have the same problem..with Truman you would be better advised to look for streams the run into it with standing timber in the water and start there. I know these places exist along the roads but you just have to drive and keep your eyes open. My sis showed me some places just like that when I first moved back down here but I could not tell you how to get there. Good Luck.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    You can't show me or you wont show me?:grin-big: Do they hang around the standing timber or more of like sunken log jams? Of course the problem with that is onece again no boat:crying: Once again PLEASE GIVE ME PICTURES. I need something dummy proof.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    If I had pics I would share them with you in a flash, afterall thats what BOC is all about brother. Flatheads definately love structure, the nastier the better. One of the problems your going to have this time of the year is that they should be deep and not very active. Personally, I like Spring and Fall to go after the Flatheads, otherwise its the Blue Cats for me. The places my sis showed me were near Warsaw and Lincoln so if you can get a map of that area and look where streams intersect with the back roads you should find the same places she showed me. Look on both sides of bridges for access roads...seemed most had a way down to the water nearby...I truly wish I had those pics and more detailed info for you. Again Good Luck.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you fishing now or planning a trip for later in the year ?

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'll fish now and later this year. Rain, shine, day or night if I think I can catch a fish I'm fair game. I would really love to find a couple of holes I could consistantly fish that produced but I guess that's what were all looking for. Honestly I just want to catch my first flathead.

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Fryguy, I am not sure what to tell you about that.. I also am stuck on the bank. I had got lucky enough to be shown my first spot and now know what to look for. Now I usually check the satelitte via internet and look for good areas there. From that you basically just gotta find some place that you can legally access and see for yourself what looks good. A pole set up to check depth is needed since you wont have a boat/depthfinder on hand. Just look for some good bends with lots of cover/sandflats etc,..

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Also I am always up for a fishing partner especially someone that could maybe show me around. I'll drive wherevere pretty much as long as it's not to many hours away so if anybody is up for it please don't be shy. Any help in getting a flatty would be awsome. Thanks guys.

9. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

i looks like your new to this so let me give you some pointers. fishing is all about trial and error. if you dont have a boat so what, you can catch a lot of fish from the shore if you do your home work get a lake map ask local bait shops get all the info you can. but your best bet is just getting out there and spend as much time as you can. time will give you experence and trial and error will give you knowledge

10. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fryguy,ya would`nt happen to be close to the Missouri river would ya?Down about Knob Noster by chance?If so ya can catch Flatheads off the riverbank on cutbait anytime in the months of May through November,just fish rocks and brush where ya can find it.Reason I say this is I know some that is stationed at Whiteman AFB,and he is pretty good at fishin for them,kinda had a hand in teachin him what he knows about fishin the big river(Like I am his father).

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Yes I do live by Knob Noster. You wouldn't still happen to be in contact with the guy would you because I'm stationed here at Whiteman to and that would work out pretty well.

12. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    Fry guy I would say your better off in the spring for catching a flattie , so for now take in all the input you can for fishing flats , as you do this try to think of a place on the water near you that best describes some of what you are learning to look for , I like to fish on outside bends , where the current breaks , or where the water pools around , look for high banks on outside bends these are usually good spots, look for any structure , like big log jams , at night I fish for flats in shallow water close to the bank , in the daytime I fish in deeper water , flats are predators, if you can present your bait as if its injured it is an easy meal for flats , also when I use gills I like to put 2 on a hook ,they aggrevate each other and give off alot of vibration this is good for flats, there is a ton to learn about flathead fishing take it all in by spring you will be ready for any flat, take care.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only luck bankfishing for flatheads I had was either below dams, around bridge footings, or wading.

Often, you can cast around the bridge footings from the bank. Try above them, behind them, and between them.

Below dams early in the year can be good.

If it's a smaller river you can wade, move up and down and look for the cover in or near some deeper water (a small river deeper water might be only 4-6 feet deep.)

Shawn

14. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fry Guy, I talked to some friends that live in the area and your best bet is checkin on walk in area at Grand Pass CA down your way on the Missouri river. Dont know much about the area by land as I always go to that area by boat and have fished it alot at night and seen people fishin on the bank,good water to fish just do not know the ins and outs of the conservation area. Best bet is to go to the headquarters and ask about fishing and see what they say. Know of several places along the way that you could get some bait close by but just have to knock on some doors and ask yourself. There is a tackle shop in Waverly that is geared to the catters and they could probably hook ya up. If Craig is in the shop he is a good guy to ask,or go to the bait shop in Carrolton and ask the guy that owns it and he could tell ya alot about the area.

15. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    River structure, like logjams, rocks & riffles, cutbank on an outside bend, transition areas from deep holes to shallow flats. In lakes, look for cover. Standing timber stumps, rocks, dropoffs, any change in the bottom.

For flatheads, use the cold winter months to do a little research. Google "terraserver" or "terrafly" (if you have dialup it probably won't load). Put in the zipcode of your area of interest, anf you can look at all the satellite images hooked together. FInd the body of water you're interesteed in, and zoom max. The B&W pics have good enough resolution to tell a bit about depth, by looking for contrast - darker is deeper. You can select a function that will overlay roads, so you can see general access. It will also give you lat/long coordinates for your GPS. Gaining access is another thing altogether - landowners are all different.

Dennis

16. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scouting, It takes lots of leg work. No one said the sport is easy.

I recomend,
    In-Fishermen Catfish fever and Day on the River.

17. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Hey thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll start driving around and finding spots for thins spring. I'm also getting a new pole and a baitcast reel (my first) so hopefully it will be a spring to remember.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Glad you guys helped him out, Did you see that avatar? That there fella's holding up bait! We need to get him a dandy ol mud colored Flathead. Does Truman run into the Osage? Oops, no that's Bagnall Dam. I fished there once and my uncle caught about a 10lb channel. Springtime is a good bet when they come off the winter lethargy. They seem to move to warmer water and where the bait is, or right below a dam. Yes they love structure. if you can find shallow water next to deeper water with snags to call home (Rock or timber) and current to bring the buffet by, and couple that with a dam where they can't go any further upstream, you're in Hawg Heaven.

19. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    How fare is that from Joplin, Mo, Fry?

20. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I think it's about 3 to 3.5 hours away. I can probably make it in 3 if I take Highway 13 until I hit 44 to Joplin. I'm up in the Warrensburg area if you are familiar with it.