Need a fishing rod to make longer casts

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by just cats, Nov 16, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Guys I have two yellow tigers, 7ft.MH, and I'll never part with em, best rods I've ever owned, but I want to get one longer rod to have along as well, when I need a little more casting distance. You guys steered me to the tigers so now I'm asking for your advice on a longer rod, I really don't want to go with anything too extreme, thinking around a ten footer or close to that. It will need to cast half pound weights and half pound baits. And hopefully it will need to be able to handle fifty pound cats.Need to keep it in the $50 - $100 range.Thanks

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Forgot to mention that I will be putting an Abu 7000 or 9000 on it probably, but for sure a bait casting reel of some kind.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your not going to get much more distance with the 10 foot pole... some, but nowhere near, I imagine, what your wanting. I think you should go with a pole either 12, 14, 15 or 16' long. They range in price form $25.00 to 36.00 at an Academy Sporting goods store. I have them all, 6', 8', 10' 12' 14' 15' and 16'. When river fishing from the bank, I use the 14, 15 and 16 foot poles. In the boat I use the 6' or 8' poles... the 10 and 12 foot poles are collecting dust in the shed. LOL. If your wanting to fish tailraces, I would strongly recommend you go with the biggest pole you can get for the money you want to spend. The reel will work great on any of these poles.

4. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i agree at least a 12ft or longer i know ugly sticks are $70 and above but worth the money

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am stuck on the berkly glow sticks. The 9 ft I got handles 5 oz wieght and it glows but they also have a 10 and I believe an 11 or 12 which holds more . They have worked so great for me I can't wait to replace my other rods with them. They are only about 30 to 40 bucks at bass pro. I have abu 10000bg's on both of them. For the money that I have spent on some of my other rods and reels this was half as much and way better to me.

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Casting distances I have found depend on the reel, rod, and how good the caster is getting the distance. I use the pendulum cast or the hatteras cast for distance. Any stiff or fast rod will do the trick. I personally get distance with an Abu 7500C3CT that is on a 10' Lami.

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jack, personally I prefer an Ugly Stick and they do make longer rods that fall into your price range.

If Peewee happens along he will be able to help you out on another rod. I don't remember the brand of rods he has but he has some that are as much as 16 feet long. He said they were the cats meow.

st

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    great onfo yall,but lets not forget that line size also has alot to do with how ur going to be able to cast.like ur going to be able to cast further with #17 than with #30,buti would not go chasing BIG cats with #17.

9. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    with a 16fter i think could cast to the other side of the river. but have you tried weights on the bottom of your rod?

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In the 10 ft range, Tsunami is a good rod. For 12 ft or longer, there are lots of good rods, but the Ugly Sticks hold up well.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Beefstick is a good rod that is inexpensive. I have one and love it. I use mine for surf fishing and havn't found a fish YET that it couldn't handle. I also have a power-tip that I like just as much. Both of mine are spinning rods but can be purchased for bait caster

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    1/2 lb+ baits? i would go with a 12 footer myself, your gonna need something with a fast action for casting large baits too. one of our local tackle stores has a really nice 12ft diawa (sea surf?) "eliminator" that goes for like $60, do a search for surf rods on yahoo. i use 1lb+ baits from time to time myself but i use only 10ft rods. when trying to cast large baits long distances you have to hook them really deep to keep from flinging them off the hook thus decreasing your odds of ripping your hook from the bait when setting the hook. i place my baits with a boat or canoe.

13. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Most of you are telling me to go with a longer rod and Yes...I know that longer rods equal longer casts. But as I said, I don't want to go too extreme, a ten footer is what I am looking for to gain a little more range. I want to do that without the problems associated with the extremely long rods. I have a twelve footer that is quite old and it was useful to me in the past but is not heavy enough for the way I now fish. But having dealt with it's length for a few years has taught me that it is longer than I want.
    If you like 12; 14; 16; or 50 foot rods that's great,but I'm looking for a ten footer that can handle a pound of weight and bait. Thanks

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know that they make them... be like fishing with a broom stick. I'm sure you will find something though.

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Just a thought, St.Croix's WILD RIVER makes long rods and they're reasonably priced. Check them out. www.stcroixrods.com

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    [
    Jack,
    If you really want to get out there...... listen up.:smile2: I dont like giving up my favorite rod (s) for big non-feeling sticks...... Maybe you can use the technique that my brother Al forwarded to me 10 or so years ago. This is a tip,.... actually it was a picture too, but anyway, these ole boys mounted a big "sling shot" on the front of their "chevy" or "ford" if you prefer,.........They would "lob" their rigs away..... far out there when fishing for sturgeon....... Seems that when ever God gives us a good place to fish, then some official says you cant fish beyond the bouy line, or for terrorist reasons. you can't be next to this darn dam.

I haven't made a "sling shot" in years. Let your imagination go..... "have you ever seen the balloon launcers that kids use.?.... some adults too.

lets see now...... maybe 1-1/2 inch pvc pipe, left and right about 30", up 30" too..... use bungee cord for the rubbers.......you can even make a "take apart" model..... Maybe a spinning reel would be best ..... but if you use a "level wind" or conventional....... might have to put some tuff skin stuff on your thumb.

Good luck..... my wife always say's.... I don't need another pole.... pardon the pun..... she doesn't fish to much..... got more mopps and gadgets than I have poles.

bayrunner ray

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    is this what you're looking for? it may be a little out of your price range,but if you do a google search you might find a used one for less. hope this helps RainShadow 10 ft. 1 pc ~ Heavy Action ~ Moderate-Fast Taper ~ Line: 15-30 lb. ~ Casting Weight: 4 - 10 oz. plus bait. ~ Makes a great shorter heaver for tight locations and/or extremely windy conditions.

18. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I use a 9' medium-heavy action rod. I baught it at wall-mart for about $45-$55, I think it was a shakespear or somthing like. I use a medium sized bait caster and cast from here to the next county with it. I use anywhere from 15-25lb test and can throw up to 1 1/2lbs with ease. I prefer to throw lighter though if possible. Ive caught sharks with this rig up to 6', so 50+lb cats should'nt be a problem with proper drag set. Good luck.

19. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Thanks guys, I've been googleing the rods mentioned but haven't really found what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards an Ugly Stick Big Water Casting Rod. Cabelas has them in ten foot length but the only action I can find in the ten footers is Heavy. I'm afraid it may be stiffer than I want. Does anyone have any experience with an Ugly Stick; ten foot; heavy action; big water casting rod? I don't want to order one and find out it can double as a baseball bat. Also , does anyone know what the difference is between a spinning rod and casting rod, other than the handles and the extra big guide on the spinning rods? Are the rod blanks the same? I've ran baitcasters on spinning rods a few times in my life and had no problems but I'm curious as to just what the differences really are.

20. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Spinning rods are usually copletley straight and casting rods have a thumb or finger lip or piece