Need a fishing reel review fast

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish kenny, Oct 3, 2007.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been searching for the right reel and satisfaction is gonna come with a price but I cannot afford to blow away money for nothing being a poor man having fishing as a habbit. I have my rod and it come with a price now I want to match it with a ABU GARCIA 7000 - C3 I with the 4to 1 gear ratio....It have a ambassadur 6000 that I am not happy with....I catch 5-25 lbers on the fly and I know diong this I have a potential of bigger,the 6000 is already stripping out after a year.I have a shakesphere that cost less but has done better but on the other hand I like the smooth casting/feel of the Abu and I dont have that counter to iratate me so....I am gonna take a chance for lack of good judgement because a fool and his money will soon part.....WHAT DO YOU ALL SAY I AM GIONG TO CHICAGO SAT. AND WE ARE STOPPING AT CABELAS SO BEING A ADDICTED FISHER ON A MISSION YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS:confused2:OH MY ROD IS A OCEANMASTER:crazy:

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Kenny, two words: shimano stella:wink::big_smile:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Is that rod a BPS Oceanmaster? If so I say a Shimano Calcutta.

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I say stick with Shakespeare, but get a 30LB or 30LA without the line counter. They are great reels for the price, and will hold a lot of big line. I know from experience they will winch in big ol' catfish when put with a strong rod. Good luck fishin', whichever you choose.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    If you have the $$$ buy the Abu 7000. 6 years ago I bought a Abu 7001C3, and with good maintenance it is still the best baitcasting reel I own. I have a couple of Penns, a Shimano,a Quantum,and a Abu 6501C3 aswell. Go with the Garcia. :confident::boss::feel_good::byebye:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Oh did i mention Pflueger Contender:big_smile::wink:

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have several Abu's and have had great luck with them all. I don't really know much about other reels for cats but I sure can't put down the 7000. I think they are worth the money.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now if you were after some really big fish,I could recommend a Penn.I have never heard of a Penn stripping out on 5-25 lb.bait?Nope,not I.I fished for and ate that size,but I have seen that size used for bait!They caught a Measured 14 foot plus Tiger Shark on it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Mr Phil loves that Shimano Stella....lol....

11. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hey Kenny,
    You didn't provide too much to go on for reel suggestions.... do you like a level wind? Size or weight limitations/preferences? Most important, since your prepared to pay a price for quality, what price are you prepared to pay?

Since your going to Cabelas, they have a sale on Daiwa Sealine X-SHA which is an incredible reel for the money. Sealed bearings, sealed drag, clean smooth freespool that has the potential to out cast 99% of the fishermen that use them including centrifugal breaking to tame those long hard casts with an anchor+bait. They come in a 4.9/1 or 6.1/1 gear ratio... excellent reel for a "Benjamin"! The only draw back (which is actually a benefit in my eye...) is that it doesn't have a level wind. I've taken the level wind off all my bait fishing Abu's because it's just not needed.. but to those who prefer it, the Sealine doesn't have it.

If you have your heart set on an Abu, here's a tip... look for the models that are still made in Sweden, or that say "Swedish cut brass gears" (yes Cabelas has them)... they have the Brass gears as opposed to the brass-on-nylon found in the cheaper more common models, which is why many people have the issue with the "mass production" Abu's giving in...

There are a lot of reels that will do you well in the $100 price range.. fewer under a $100 and many many more over...

12. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last I checked, rogers sporting goods still had the Abu 9000 Big Game and the 7000B for $70. That is a steal for the 9000. I have 2 7000's and 2 9000's and the 9000 is my favorite and will handle any cat. Do a search for roger sporting goods.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny you have picked a great reel. The 7000c3 will do a great job. Consider it an investiment. With proper cleaning and maintenance it will last a lifetime. I own several of this model and have had no problems. Good luck with your choice.:big_smile:

14. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Hey Brandon, that Pflueger Contender looks like a nice reel for the money. I know that Ambasaduer makes the best at over 100.00 each, but how do those Contenders compare to say a Penn 220 or 320 gto. I noticed one with a 6 to 1 retrieve.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the contenders are the best reels ive found so far!!! they are super smoothe i have a penn 220gto to tell the truth the penn is junk compaired to the contender the only thing better on the penn is the clicker. id dissagree with abu having the best reel also. id like alot of thiese sworn abu fans to try a g30 pflueger and see how nice they are.:crazy:

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have 2 ABU 7000 and love them.The only trouble i have with them is i cant cast them as far as my 6500c3s,i cant seem to get both knobs adjusted correctly or somethin.But they will flat haul a big cat in without any trouble thats for sure.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    alright i guess i didnt say what all i have to compair, abu 5000(2) 6000 6500c3 6600eon, ive used 7000 7000c3, penn 220gto(2) 320ld had a 309, okuma classic 300l (nice cheep reel) pflueger contender g30 diawa 3 millionaire. pfluegers are good reels.

18. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    the Pflueger Contender should be a great reel no doubt... but there's a reason for that. :wink:
    The "inspiration" for the Contenders is very obvious to a Penn fan.. because it's so very identical to the Penn GS series... inside and out..

It has sealed bearings, and a nice big brass main gear however for a reel that is designed for heavy fish, it has a rather narrow drive shaft... I don't know anyone who has had an issue yet.. but I'll include a photo of the main gear from an Avu 7000 and one from the Contender (G50HS to be exact) and you can clearly see where the Abu has a larger fitting for the shaft.

Nothing wrong with the Contender for sure. Should serve you well for cat's. I would opt for an "HS" personally for bait fishing because the level wind rob's you of casting distance, and is an exposed worm gear to clog up with dirt, sand, and the such.. I only use level wind's on reels that are going to be used for constant cast and retrieve type fishing (lures)

Attached Files:

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chicago trip was a nightmare fer us small town boys so my reel is on hold. Now I have time for research.Gonna goto St.LIOUS in two weeks to Cabelas IF WE CAN FIND IT? It was like a needle in a haystack in chicago and we were there for other reasons so.....Besides in two weeks I will have more denero to go:big_smile:

20. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Someone said the Contender is the same as the Penn GS series not true at all. The GS reels are the best casting reels period. and the 525 is even a mag model. The Contender looks to be a nice reel.