Need a fishing mentor

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by MuDD_Cat23, May 24, 2008.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well guys ive tryed everyones tips and tricks and i thank you, but i just got out the river i started fishing around 3 in the afternoon for some bream got 18 bream then when the sun finally went down i went to these different holes and log jams where i have caught some cats on limb lines and well only thing i caught was some insect bits i dont even belive i had a nibble. So this is what im asking is there anyone from the wilmigton, delco, whiteville, brunswick county area just is there anyone out there that can take me fishing so i can learn i have so much fun doin jug lines and limb lines i want to be able to be a sportsman about it and take one on my rod and reel. I am willing to pay gas food just about anything right now to catch one my girl wants me to just give up cause im devoting all my time to fishing for cats and not spending no time with her i just wanna be able to land a nice fish. so let me know if you can help me out along them lines

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Where do you fish?

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am not from your area but I do know that sometimes it can be a waiting game. If you have caught fish there before, you can do it again on r&r. be silent and have patience. As for the girl thing.... we all have choices in life every day.

Good luck,

Shawn (OH)

4. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Truer words were never spoken Shawn. Now Shane as for those cats......sometimes its a none today and 10 tomorrow kinda thing......if your patient you will reap the rewards......it took me from late Feb. to early april to finally catch my first flathead and tha blue thats in my avatar......same for my brother. He caught his first big blue just last weekend......patience is a mighty virtue when it comes to catfish. Good luck!!

5. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tubby is right on! And sometimes you have to try new spots or techniques. Even if you laugh at yourself for tryin' it, it might work out and then you have found something new that works. Sometimes you have to just keep moving until you find a productive area. Certain conditions may hold fish in one area and other conditions may make them move 100 - 200 yards to another area. You can try to key in on bait also, because at night especially those fish are in feeding mode and will not be hanging around an area without anything to munch on. Try to find shallow flats up river from a deep hole that you know holds fish. They will move up out of that hole at night to feed. You don't have to fish structure at night because they are not in ambush mode they are in hunt mode. Don't give up, maybe we can hook up sometime we'll do some fishing and you can get another perspective on another persons techniques first hand. The only way to learn is by doing and it is tough and disappointing at times but when it finally comes together it is a great thing.
    Hope this helped. Keep Fishing!!:big_smile:

6. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you guys very much but im goin to have to look around in the river to try some different aspects im fishing in brackash water so what im goin to do is from what ppl have told me that they are catching some cats towards the salty end. so what im goin to do on my next 3 days off is something i really dont wanna do buit im goin to set up about 4 jug lines and try a few different spots and see about where i can find some fish I KNOW its not sportsman like but i need to try something but ill prob. throw the fish back cause it isnt worth keeping it if u didnt catch it on rod and reel so maybe i can find about where these cats are at so i can finally get surprised and land one

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Shane, stay in the game. Catchig big fish is not easy and it does take some time going it alone.

Be sure to keep track of everythig you are doing in a written journal so that you are able to accurately remember what works and what does not work. You may think you will remember what happened when, but when you accumulate hundreds of days on the water it will all kinda mush together.

Hopefully some BOC members from your area will step up and lend you a hand and maybe even take you out.