Need a dual battery setup. HELP

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by SkipEye, Jul 19, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok, did it for the second time. It's no fun after dark, anchored below a dam to turn the key and hear "click".

I want to set up my boat with a second deep cycle battery, a dual bank charger and a battery switch (you know..... 1,2,Both).

What is the best way to set this up, wiring included?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the WEST MARINE website and order a catalog or go online and look.They have excellent articles on how to do just about everything.You dont say what kind of boat or motor.The task isnt difficult and you will probably want to add a busbar if you dont have one.You also might want one of the batteries to be a starting battery and the other a DC but again I would recommend the WM website.:smile2:

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Our old boat had a dual battery set-up but they were two seperate systems one was for trolling motor and the other for the main motor and lights etc. I would think ideally that this is not the best set-up. I think that a setup using two batteries in parralel would be better so that the charging system on the motor can charge both. This would be a little trickier to do but should not be too hard for someone that knows more about that kind of stuff than me. I am going to school to be a mechaincal enigneer and most of the electrical stuff is smoke and mirrors to me.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What are you doing to cause the battery to go dead that fast? Surely you're not running a trolling motor off the starting battery??

I routinely run my depth finder, livewell and nav lights for hours at a time, all from the starting battery and have never had any issue with it going dead. All other accessories (spotlight, trolling motor, bait tank, etc.) are run off one of the two trolling motor batteries.

I also never need to put my starting battery on an external charger -- I have a 2-bank onboard charger that runs the trolling motor batteries, but nothing for the starting battery.

Before you dump a bunch of money into a second battery and all the switching, verify that your main starting battery is good, that it's big enough for your motor (verify the cranking amps is adequate), that the battery connections are tight, and that the charging system on your motor is working properly. Plus give your starting battery a full charge from an external charger so you know where you're starting at.

Bottom line is that something doesn't sound right to me.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I've used a Deka Marine Master battery for both starting and trolling motor and they have never failed me in the two years I have run the boat. They are really good batteries made in USA and they are made better than all the other batteries out there, if you go to their website you will see why. I run one battery just for the trolling motor and one for starting with all the accessories, such as stereo, nav lights, depth finder,12v accessories. One other thing is that if you dont have a good onboard charger then you could have the best batteries in the world and they will still fail. Get a good charger such as a Dual Pro SE or something like that, thats what I run and you can leave them plugged in all the time. Good luck in your decisions.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sound like you run a lot or extra lights at night/
    Or could it be the Q-Beam spot light draining it?
    I do know that next time I will put LED anchor lights on both of my boats..
    Pete

7. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    After a lot of research I wired my boat up with one of these, they were very helpful over the phone answering my technical questions.

http://www.hellroaring.com/

Mark

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All I am running is nav lights and a livewell aerator which consists of one 500gph bilge pump, factory installed.

Boat and battery is only a month old.

I have not been charging it externally. I suppose I am spending way more time at anchor than I am running the motor to recharge it. Fishing mostly during the day so nav lights aren't on a lot. Only minimal use of spotlight and that is normally only when I am running the motor also.

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO

Sounds like you need to make another trip back down to Cook's....

If you run the motor for 30 minutes or so per trip, the battery ought to stay topped off, considering no more of a load than you're putting on it.

There's no chance that you're leaving the ignition key turned on, are you??

Put a full charge on it and then see if you ever have the problem again. I bet you don't.

(I presume you've got a trolling motor battery that you can use for starting in a pinch, right??)

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    10 amp alt isnt very much.MY Optimax 200hphas a 60 amp but of course is a much bigger engine.If you have one battery and its a starting type battery and you are running any additional amp drain off of it then the engine alt probably wont keep you charged.Starting batteries are not designed for that kind of draw down.If its the battery that came with the boat it is not going to be a top of the line battery.I always recommend good batteries like the Trojan SCS series 31 which has 225 minutes of reserve power.It should start your engine no problem and provide all the power you need.There are other good battery lines out there.Most chargers are 10 amp and after any significant draw down take up to several hours to recharge a battery so depending on just you run time to stay charged might not work.Also the Alt is 10amp at high RPM but you wont be getting that if you just start the engine and let it idle.

13. jedamy

jedamy New Member

State:
    mo
    had same problem turns out new battery was junk

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, in the end I just ended up buying a 175 amp/hour Deep cycle battery and hooked my accessories to it, leaving only the start battery hooked up to motor. In addition, installed a dual bank onboard battery charger so everything is nice and topped off when I am ready to hit the water.

I have ran the accessories for days without recharging and all is good now.

No more problems so far. Didn't mess with the perko switch etc.