Need a circle hook 2 pc. rod for less than 30 lb. cats.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Dust, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    Been looking at a Rippin Lips Medium Spinning or Medium Heavy Spinning/Casting, and the safe Ugly Stik Catfish. I am hoping to stay around $50, as the reel (Kastking 60L) is $50. Not picky on a trigger, as I'm not sure that I am even a baitcasting guy yet, and I have an extra spinning reel if the 60L doesnt work out.

Any other suggestions?

2. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Shakespeare tiger combo. I use them to catch flatheads and channels of all sizes and it works great with circle hooks. Also a really smooth drag. You can get one from w*lmart for $17.78. just change the line I think it comes with 20lb test. Or if you just want a rod to go with the reels you already have there is a zebco rhino indestructible rod for less than $25. My buddy has one and it works great with circle hooks.

TXhuntNfish and django like this.

3. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I'd urge you to give it time and watch some youtube vids and you'll be surprised how quickly you get on to baitcasting reels. I spent my first 30 fishing-years being intimidated by them after a couple bird's nests. One day I made my mind up to learn them and now they're my favorite reels for bigger fish.
    I was going to recommend pairing that Rover 60L with a Rip/Lips med. casting rod but they don't seem to be available on Ebay or Amazon. Other powers yes, but no mediums- unless I missed 'em.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  4. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Whisker Seekers 7ft6in 2 piece MH rods would be a good choice for you.

The composite build makes the rod both lighter a crisper which makes for a rod that is fun to land 30lb and less fish on.

music4cash likes this.
  5. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I used them as a kid. $20 Walmart Abus on 5"something rods. But my 2000, 4000, and 2 6500s spinning reels work fine

They don't make a 2 pc. medium casting. Only the 1 pc. casting and 2 pc. spinning. Not sure my hands are big enough to use the trigger and palm the reel, so was looking at the spinning. The first guide doesn't look to be that much different between them.

I can only find 1 pc. rods at Cabela's. If I can get the the catfish conference this weekend I will see if there are any there.

6. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Check the Whisker Seekers website, they will gave the 2 piece spinnihg rods you are looking for.

7. green_neo

green_neo Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Chuck
    Might check out B n M Silver Cat. We have 8 now. Really happy with them, real good circle hook rod(we fish mainly from a boat).

8. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Would a two piece steelhead rod work for this situation?

9. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    Louisville shows limited supply. I hope I can stop by this weekend after the Catfish Conference and check one out.

10. Cedarjoe

Cedarjoe New Member

State:
    you need to put your state in here
    Name:
    Jason Hankins
    Dust Walmart.com has the bnm silver cat rods

11. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    I sling 12oz on the 1pc 7'6" magnums

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    $50 for the whole setup or just the rod? I use the Catfish ugly stick medium heavy (7' 1 piece rod though), Eagle Claw L197BKG-7/0 (black platinum) circle. As the tip of the rod has good flex to set the circle. I run Abu Garcia 6500's on these rods, but sounds out of your wanting to spend area. This combo can reel in over 30lb's easy and of course the ones below.

13. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    $50 for rod. Have the reel, and 3/0, 5/0, 7/0, 8/0 and 10/0 circles.

I’ll see what still on tables at the Catfish Conference if I can stop by this weekend.

14. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Rippin Lips is my choice. Med Spin is $36 on Amazon and available now. Also the Bass Pro Catbuster is inexpensive at $30 and will handle that size fish perfectly. Both are excellent actions for circle hooks.

HaskelCat likes this.
  15. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Catfish Ugly stick gets my vote then, available at Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. Great rods for the price and I've had good luck with them.

16. Charles Hill

Charles Hill New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    Charles
    Is the whisker seeker rod good for channel catfish from 1 to 10 pounds and do they work good with circle hooks.

17. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    It is a little stout for cats under 2lbs, but still doable.

The rods do have a slower action that works well with circle hooks.

18. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    Just an update. I picked up a Rippin Lips medium spinning rod. It seems about the same as my Shimano medium heavy 8'. I think I am regretting not getting the medium light.

19. Horsehead

Horsehead Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
    I just saw this for the first time today. Was gonna say I just got a ripping lips Medium Light casting and out a kastking Rover 40 on it. I think it would be perfect for what you're talking about. But it sounds like you already have figured that out.

20. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    You may find that you made the right choice when you land your first 20lb+ cat. Let us know?

SteveMcK likes this.