Neches River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by NechesBobcat, Feb 20, 2006.

1. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey everyone,

Is there anyone on here from around the Neches River or anyone on here ever fish on it? The Neches River is my #1 past time. I love catching fish in flowing water and I can't think of any other place to do it.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've given thought about fishing the Neches, but its a bit far from home. Am considering a camping fishing trip in March...sort of a deal with the wife. She gets to go to San Antonio for a couple of days with a friend, I take care of our grandson, whom we are raising (2.5 yrs old) and then I get a few days off to fish and camp. What part of the Neches do you fish? I've thought about trying below Rayburn.

3. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    I spend a lot of time fishing there. I fish mostly in the Beaumont area, I have caught some really nice Blues in the Marsh area. My favorite bait is cut mullet when I can find it.

4. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    dont let this be your only post let's hook up and do some fishin

5. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey guys!

Haven't been on here in a while. I stay pretty busy with college.

alh,
    you don't have to twist my arm to make me go fishin'! I live in Silsbee and Have no problem driving anywhere in southeast texas to go fishin'!

gadzooks,

I fish between silsbee and fred. I live in Hardin county. I always put my boat in at either HWY 96 or Johns Lake.

6. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    Bobcat, sorry I couldn't PM you back, I guess I dont have enough post to be able to do much of anything. Sound like you have done quite well in the Neches. I was doing very good in Dec and early Jan but things sure have been slack here lately. I have done all of my fishing in the Beaumont area. I mainly just rod and reel fish but I am thinking about setting some lines out. I have a itch to catch some Ops, Dont know if its legal or not but here is my email imreadylh/at/yahoo

7. Catfish_Ronnie

Catfish_Ronnie New Member

State:
    texas
    I live in beaumont and have fished the neches a lot..doesnt matter if your after bass,,,,or a real mans fish."catfish"....ya just can't beat the neches river.
    Once you have put in at colliers ferry..."end of pine st"...if u take a right and go a small piece,on ur left is a small openning we all call...."ten mile creek",,,,in 2003 we caught 15lb albino cat,along with many others .."via trot lines"..I have friends who fish up and down the river and it has never left any of us hungry..if u like camping,there are many great places to make a camp too...
    just wanted to add my 2 cents worth..... Ronnie of Beaumont ,Texas ----- P.S. don't get me started about pine island bayou.....lol

8. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is that a Good or Bad "Don't get me started"?

I drive over it every day. Never have been in a boat in it... much less fished in it.

9. Catfish_Ronnie

Catfish_Ronnie New Member

State:
    texas
    reason why I said .."dont get me started".. is cos I have caught more ops in the pine island bayou than any other place I have fished .. and could talk about it for hours,.,neat thing is u can fish both the neches and the pine island bayou on the same trip cos pine island emties ito the neches.either one is worth ur time,,,Ronnie

10. bwhite52yes

bwhite52yes New Member

I am on a hunting lease on the Neches on Hwy 69 south. I love to camp on the river and fish. I trot line and also like to hand fish. They are better tasting fish than the ones I catch out of Sam Rayburn and they are better looking and healthier. Good luck.

11. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    Good to see a few guy's joining in in this thread. The last couple of trips I have made to the Neches have been a wash out, I don't know if my New Boat has changed my luck or if i just have going on the worst possible nights a man can fish. I tried the first left going south from the pine street launch last Fri. night ( I believe that is Lake Bayou) had 30 hooks out with very large shinners and didn't catch a thing except for a few GAR....So I ran up to the salt water barrier and din't even get a bite. Oh well I guess thats why they call it fishing. Bobcat I haven't forgot you we will make a Marsh run off the Neches real soon.

12. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    have you guys ever fished the angelina river? i am do alot of bass fishing on that part of the river catch a lot o fish. i am trying to figure out how to catfish. i am souring some hen scratch in the back yard to bait a hole.

13. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    bwhite52yes,

What hunting lease are you on? I am on a big hunting lease off of 96 also that is on the river. Send me a message.

14. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i live about 10 minutes away from the neches and i hav never fished there before. when i was growing up dad always took us to Rayburn and the past 8 years i fished the angelina. i guess you could say that i fish the neches becuase the angelina flows into the neches. basically the same fish. anyway i have always liked the angelina becuase it looks alot cleaner than the neches. it sounds like you guys catch quiet a bit there. i guess i need to start trying it out. its definatly a shorter drive.

15. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    You oughta see where the Angelina runs into the Neches from an airplane.

The Neches is evidently running through a bunch of mud somewhere cause it looks the color of a mud puddle (as does Dam B) but the Angelina is pretty and clear, like the color of the water at Rayburn.

We distinguish the Neches above Dam B as the Little Neches and below it as the Big Neches.

Never fished below Dam B much (any further than the gates ...you can tear em up there when it's right).

16. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have fished above Dam-B on both rivers and in the lake, below the gates, and down the river below Dam-B. The Neches above dam-B is not worth my time IMHO. I have caught alot of fish on the angelina. And a lot in the lake and even more below the gates and the most down here by Silsbee. My favorite place on the Neches is below Shefield's Ferry and above Bush Lake. Very beautiful and loaded with fish but a little out of the way for me. I fish almost everyday between John's lake and HWY 96. That place has a big drop in elevation and is swifter, narrower and has many more logs and deep holes. Very few people fish that area because of the logs.

17. jaredtexasrebel

jaredtexasrebel New Member

State:
    S.E. Texas
    I live maybe 5 minutes tops from the saltwater barrier. My dad works out there. The rocks by the boathouse, throw out close to the bumper pads. When they are in "salt mode" thats when the bite gets real good. I went last Sunday. Caught some eating size channels, and a ton of goo/freshwater drum. I caught the drum on ultralight gear boy was that fun. I tried fishing for the trout in the stocked pond they recently stocked but nothing. Ive did fairly well there I've caught flathead around 18" on green nightcrawler by those bumper pads.

18. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey everyone, I just got on here for the first time in years. I can't beleive my last post was at the top. I'm stilling fishing the Neches everyday. Anyone in the area, look me up.

19. jaredtexasrebel

jaredtexasrebel New Member

State:
    S.E. Texas
    Hey man, I went today before it started raining, a guy fishing with perch caught 4 nice size flatheads, he also said last night they caught a few stripers. I think the rain and all the water coming down is gonna mess up the fishing.

20. 20ryan11

20ryan11 New Member

State:
    Texas
    yea i live in the area but fish village creek mostly. leads into the pine island bayou which i fish alot and catch tons of bull frogs with a buddy of mine that lives on it.