Nebraska River Help!??!?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead_finder, May 27, 2008.

1. flathead_finder

flathead_finder New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey guys, new to the board and pretty new to Nebraska. Moved here from Missouri for my grad degree and work, have done extensive fishing on Truman Lake in Missouri.

I live in Lincoln now. The lakes around here are goofy to me, so much different than Truman obviously. But what I would like to focus on here is the river system. The Blue River has caught my eye. Does anybody have any experience on the Blue River, somewhere close to Lincoln. I drove by the "Blue Bluffs" area at Milford the other day. Looks like if the current would slow a little that would be a possibility for me. I'm guessing it was swifter than usual with the rain in the area. Any points on the Platte or Salt Creek that are good places also? I'm not looking for anybody's secrets...more of a, "you're on the right track" or "don't waste your time." lol.

I'm a blue and flathead guy. But since I'm in Nebraska now I could come to like channels I guess. :)

Thanks for any help.

2. houghty26

houghty26 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Go to the Missouri River.

3. colburn

colburn New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    nice flatheads in the missouri

4. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i would agree with everyone else hit the big river!!!

5. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    the river is a good place to catch them but with gas how it is you might not want to drive there all the time to get them.. blue stem and conestoga have some nice Flatties to offer. and alot closer to boot!

6. colburn

colburn New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    id try to stay away from connestoga ive never seen such poor fishin in a lake in my life outta 40 people 2 weeks ago about 15 fish were caought and other than 1 4 lb everything was under 2 lbs i will never go back to that lake and i heard it is very hard to get a flathead out there but thats just my opinion anyone goin to rockford tommorow night

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the big blue is great i catch alot of flaties out of it try using small carp for bait have also had good luck with gold fish and bluegill(greennies)

8. flathead_finder

flathead_finder New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the help. The river would be nice but I'd rather stay closer to Lincoln. I'd like to try the Big Blue, just need a good access point.

9. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Seward? thats where i have gone but its been awhile quite awhile few years but it is a nice place in there nice campin place too

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    theres a place called catfish run just east of ashland lots of creeks and sandpit places to fish in access right off the highway drive right to the bank! all feed right into the platte. heard some good things!

11. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    skawez is right. catfish run is located east of ashland on highway 6. salt creek is the name of the small river that dumps into the platte.flatheads, channel, shovelnose sturgeon, huge carp are the staple fish, with occasional other species. fishing can be really good, but if the water is high, forget it. carp-corn, sturgeon-worms, flats-live bait, channel-?(depends on their mood). good luck

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I know you're specifically speaking about rivers...but if you're after big flatties you should hit up Branched Oak.

It's not far from Lincoln, and has some big flatties. The only thing that stinks about them there is they are total catch and release. The Games and Parks stocked them a few years back with Wipers to try and bring the White Perch pop. down. So they've been feasting and little to none have been harvested. I'm talking some big Flatheads. A lot of guys troll for them with Crankbaits there.

Just my two cents if you're after big flatheads. I've seen 60-70lb. bruisers pulled out of there. 30-35lb. fish are common.

SudDawg

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    whats the best time to fish the rivers as far as water level go's I realize if its to low dont go but is it better to fish while the river is on the rise, when it's going down or when it's up and steady. I have been told that when it starts to go down the fishing is no good. I s this true I dont fish the rivers much but would like to start