Nebraska lake suffering!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bownero, Apr 5, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Elwood Res. in South Central Nebraska was built in the early 1970's for the use of irrigation by farmers. The lake has 1200 suface acres of water at full pool. Today the lake has only 12% capacity of water. This lake was stocked by the Nebraska Games and Parks Commission with many species of fish. It includes catfish, walleye, white bass, wipers(striped bass x white bass), crappie, musky, carp ,drum and other species of fish. The lake is considered a trophy fishery by many including myself. I have fished this lake for 15 years and had caught many trophy fish. Wipers to 9 lbs., Musky 41", Catfish up to 14 lbs. to mention a few. This lake may suffer a major fish kill this summer if immediate action isn't take to sustain the water level in this lake. The Cental Public Power District in Nebraska has the water rights on this lake and others fed by the Tri County Canal in Nebraska. Apparently there isn't enough water to justify keeping the lake filled. Some of the other lakes on this system are in desperate need of water too. The talk is Elwood Res. may be made into a "keep all you can catch" lake. Not good at all!! Knowing the high country of Wyoming received plentiful snow, maybe this will be of a big help for Nebraska lakes on this system to receive water to help sustain and even raise the low water levels.

I invite everyone reading this post to take a look at the Nebraska Catfishing forum and goto Bad News for Elwood. I have included pictures of the lake taken last year. This doesn't justify what it looks like now! What a shame!!

Thanks..
    Mark..

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The news on this subject was orginally posted by Mike (uglymike) on the Nebraska Catfishing forum " Goodbye Elwood". I can't take full credit for posting this info.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a very Sad note ,Mark. I think nearly the same demise will happen here on my home town lake [Ute lake State Park] only for a different reason. Seems to be way too many DAIRY FARMERS from out west moving into New Mexico and ruining our water quality.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sorry it has to happen that way! Just wish everyone can work together and keep our resources intact. What's the future going to hold for our children?:sad2: