Nebraska lake for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cicnolo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    hey, whats everyones choice of best ne. flathead LAKE? sherman? harland? calamus??

2. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i talked to some people at the outdoor show that had an album full of big flathead in it they were from sherman i was also told that branched oak has alot of nice ones in it to

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Branched Oak for sure. They are Catch and Release only. They were introduced to help take care of the white perch problem, and uh....they've been feasting for a few years now.

SudDawg

4. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah branched oak would be all right if you could get away from all the ski boats i guess go during the week you'd probably be ok

5. fishhunter44

fishhunter44 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't forget about the Tri County canal system. Lots of flats in there, and you always have a chance to hit a home run by catching one over 40lbs any given night.

6. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    wheres that at??

7. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    some where out west in B.F.E :eek:oooh:

8. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The Tri-County canal system starts at lake McConaughy and runs east. It includes Midway, Sutherland, Gallagher, and Plum Creek lakes to name a few. I read that flats in the 20 to 30 lb range are quite common at Gallagher.

9. fishhunter44

fishhunter44 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We fish Gallagher's and Midway quite a bit. In 2005 we did real well catching some over 20lbs, biggest was 47. You just gotta look for the spots where there are current breaks and stuff like that. They're in there.

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i'd go with sherman, its got half the boating traffic as calamus and the fishin is twice as good. but if you wanna catch some real big fish you gotta fish the river.

11. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    im with ya on that one:wink:

12. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    the river all the way and please let go all the big ones they dont get that big bye eating them thanks cpr

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I heard they have recently been pulling in some nice ones at the inlet at Johnsons Lake, some nice flatheads in this lake. Luck

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i know harlans got some good flattys in there, fish off the rocks or theres an inlet south of alma too

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
  16. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    johnsons lake has some big one in there if you can find them.also ive never caught a flathead a branched oak,maybe someone can give me some pointers/hints to where they are.

17. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i would guess drift i dont know though talk to fishjunky i think he goes over there alot... before he discovered that the river was funner

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Johnson Lake does have nice flatheads. Try August with live bait like shad, bluegill. the inlet has the best action.

19. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I 2nd this respose, but I prefer the Missouri & Platte Rivers when it comes to targeting trophy cats.

J

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hi Catfisherman! My name is Mark Siebrass. Just joined the BOC. I'm from Hastings, Ne. I have 2 boys, ages 2 & 3. Can't wait to teach them the sport of fishing, especially for those catfish.

Thanks BOC for such a great forum!!:big_smile: