Nebraska 2010 Gathering Poll

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jrgriffhusker, Oct 16, 2009.

Where do you want to have the gathering? One vote per person and poll closes Dec 29th

1. Branched Oak (Flathead C&R only)

2. Calumus Resesivour (Sandy Beaches fun 4 all)

3. Medicine Creek (Harry Strunk Lake)

4. Merritt Resesivour (Home of the Channel Cat State Record)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay let's call it June 25th to June 27th, 2010. Now lets put it to a vote on the Lake. Branched Oak (Flatties are catch and release only!), Calumus, Medicine Creek (Harry Strunk Lake), or Merritt what's it going to be. Think long and hard and then vote, if you don't vote you can't complain. Last year we had 5 or 6 people drop out because they didn't plan accordily. With a date set we can start saving and planning. I know all of the lakes have campgrounds so people can reserve your spots early.
    I know I was one of them that bailed last year, but I have the kind of job where I can save PTO so I'm going to make it for sure. It'll probably be a mini vacation for me and the family.
    Plus you can get maps off of Ne G & P has of all the lakes.
    I'm voting for Medicine Creek because it's closest to me, and I'm fishing all of these lakes this year anyways.:big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    merritt....is my vote

3. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    I will vote after next sunday =).

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    How's the fishing at medicine creek I have never been there before,and always like new places? flats?channels?blues? and are they good size?
    I'm not voting yet, I love fishing Merrit but I don't think you'll get that big of a turnout because of the distance alot of people have to drive to get their,so more will back out when faced with a 5 hour drive in the summer heat. the same will probably be true with medicine creek.I know I can't stand all the boating yahoos out at BO.so I'll probably say Calamus would be the best bet,but I don't know where I'll vote on,better sleep on it!

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Don't know neve fished it. But I've seen pictures of fish that have come out of there. Flats and Channels and yes there are big ones in there. Look up the lay of the lake on the NE G &P webpage

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Yeah theres gonna be yahoos skiing,boating and jetskis everywhere,but Branched Oak is the worst of the lot by far,with a high population base nearby it get tons of recreational traffic,I hate that lake for that reason. I much prefer any of the other three lakes than there. Anyway ,right now I'm leaning towards Calamus,with maybe a pre or post event fishing trip to Davis creek.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If the gathering is in eastern Nebraska it will be a complete waste of time to have it at Branched Oak again. Too damn much boat traffic and not enough fish. Pawnee the same. I'd rather see a Lincoln area gathering take place at a no wake lake like wagon train or stagecoach to avoid the damn skiers. And again I will sing the praises of Summit lake. There isn't anyone on here who who has gone there and had anything to complain about. Why pee away good fishing time and money on lakes that haven't produced for us?
    Harry Strunk is almost the same size as Branched Oak but the water level fluctuates some due to irrigation demands. I'd strongly consider going there but it will be about a 4 day trip for me to make it worth while. I've also heard some of the I-80 lakes are pretty good too. I've never been to Calamus but I'm interested so I'll vote for that.

8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I like your reasoning behind picking Calumus. I believe that the 4 lakes I posted on here are among the top ten in the lake. Calumus has good catfish in it too. I've already planned on spending four days at this event anyways. No matter where it's at.

9. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I would just like to throw an idea out there about this year's gathering. We need to organize a little better. A few questions for everyone to think about, and need to be answered to me. I would prefer PM's so I can get our ducks in a row long before it ever comes around.
    A. Who's willing to bring food, and drinks.
    B. What are we camping in, RV's, Tents, pickup trucks? I will be there on Thursday night to start setting tables up, paying for sites if I need to(granted I know that person is showing up).
    C. How many boats are there going to be and if yours isn't full are you willing to take on an extra person.
    D. Are we getting this in the mix soon enough to make sure you show up no matter where it's at. The date is set but when the poll closes that's where it's going to be at. This is the weekend AFTER father's day.
    E. 10 bucks a person towards big fish. Paid out by number of entries 1-10ppl 2 places paid, 10-20ppl 3places paid. Longest haul also gets prize(I will personally supply this).
    I hope I'm not being to forthwith by taking the lead on this but last year things didn't go so well and a lot of people bailed out. (including me) So I'm hoping that orgainizing it better will prevent people bailing out. At least we have a weekend set so that people can put in for vacation and days off well ahead of schedule. People can arrange carpools, and boatpools. Come on people I'd like to see ALL members there. Let's make it a head count of 25 people this year.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Well I voted Calamus.

Did some research

Branched oak--GAG,didn't waste my time with this lake.

Merrit--

good = real trophy potential
    beautiful scenery

bad= declining size and population of channel cats for past ten years.
    ngpc lowered the daily bag from 10 to 5 on this lake because of decline in 2009.
    long haul up there

Medicine Creek--

good= lots of smaller channel cats
    good trophy potential
    not affected by wind as much as some waters
    deep lake

bad= location is not very central to the state
    with lots of small channels and the ngpc stocking lots more this year there will be tons of 11 to 16 inch channels to pick off your baits before the big fish find them.

Calamus--

good= the lake is divided so half of it is no wake
    it has a good population of big cats with a upward swing in size and numer of fish,helped along by massive shad die offs during the winter the last few years,feeding those cats real good.
    if anybody wants to extend their trip after or before the gathering both davis creek (monster walleyes) and sherman are not very far away,so a guy could hit up 3 major lakes with no long drives in between.
    family and kids can enjoy a hatchery tour if so inclined
    it's pretty much center of state

bad= calamus can get rough real quick if the wind decides to blow,I don't have a problem with this as I trailer the boat and hit the windy side of the lake for some feeding cats from the bank.
    you'll have sand everywhere before you leave
    it can be a good haul for some too.

Add you good or bad facts about these lakes below,I went mainly off the NGPC website for fish data,contour maps,and stockings and special regs.

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    John, no matter what happens between now and then,or where we go I will donate a couple of real nice sinker/weight packages for the informal tourney for big fish and most fish, it will include egg sinkers in various catfshing sizes,no-rolls in 3, 4, and 5 oz. sizes. and possibly some bank sinkers and or others. It'll be a nice bonus treat worth quite a bit if you had to buy them in a store. I make my own,so it's not too bad. also if anyone else is interested in low cost,just for the brothers, weights pm me,and they'll be at my cost. I won't take a penny for labor or anything,just what they cost me. I'm NOT trying to sell you all stuff for profit,and I havn't fiqured out my cost,but it won't be much compared to what they charge at bait and tackle shops.Just don't pm the night before and expect to order.

12. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    Nunda Sholls at Calamus is the Ramp we used for CNCA if I can remember right it is 2 lanes, this is a nice central location right on the no wake zone split. There is also a Fish cleaning location right here aswell. If we could get a camping area next to this area its not too bad and if I have too I will sleep in my blazer, just so I am right next to the boat ramp when I wake up =) dont like leaving my boat in the water I have had people unland them while I have been asleep before. This lake has potential of puting out the new state record Channel. The Flatheads on this res are far and few between and the ones I have heard of being caught were under 10 pounds this is a Walleye/Crappie/Channel Cat Res. I have 2 kids I might have with me dont know if the whole family would be able to make the trip would be 4 adults 5 kids and 3 possibly 4 dogs, lol. The only reason sand would be an issue is the women and kids playing on the beach.

Medicine Creek has some Huge Flatheads and 30''+ channels to offer as well as outstanding Pike and Wiper fishing, has a decent White Bass population and Walleye as well. its closer to me so the women and Children would not have to camp, and I could sleep in my boat granted I have one at that time. Is also a canyon type lake so has plenty of areas to hide from the wind.

These are the only 2 I am debating in my own head. Medicine cause of how close and the fish I know come out of there, and calamus cause I have fished that and know whats its cabable of ill make up my mind come this next sunday evening but I will be here at thsi even no matter where it is.

13. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i got dies for 8 10 and 12 oz weights.... if your interested in some wieghts of that size no roll and flat bank6/8 and 10 and 12 flatbank.. donate some lead for it i will make it

14. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Send me PM's on prizes you have and I'll make a list and call people to see how we want to divide them up. Also send me PM's with you head count so I can start making up a head count and who's going to help out and such. Frank, Mark, and Clinton I have your phone numbers and we'll be talking soon.

15. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I take it the tourney is going to be bank and boat fishing right. Because not everyone will have a boat right? I guess maybe vote on who's in charge of the tourney. I'm taking care of the location, food, and head count. Someone else can handle that. I vote for Frank.

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I think Frank would be a good choice,if he wants to do it.

17. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm in.....but you all know that allready....I'll have my boat anywhere the gathering is...and I'm more than fair with sharing boat space and bait....but I got nothing to offer prize wise...

I love the biggest fish prize idea....:big_smile: I also love the calamus idea as well because it's closer but I'll be fishing merritt around that time anyway thats why I voted for it...and my friends and in-laws live close by...either way it should be a great time....

18. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Don't for get there is Medicine Creek in the running. I know Mark and Steve both like Medicine Creek. Either way I will be there a day early to get things started. Set up and get spots marked off for us. And I hope those who are voting are going to show up even if there spot doesn't win.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  19. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    And from here on in Frank is in charge of the tourney. Any ideas on cost, prizes, start time, weigh in time, and rules are up to him and the people who help him the most. I vote for a Bank/Boat tourney and I have a pole only to throw in.

20. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    IF money is tight I'd be more likely to go to Calamus 1rst Strunk 2nd Merritt 3rd. Calamus being the closest and Strunk is more of an interstate drive 75 mph and it's my understanding that Merritt is in the middle of BFE and the drive is primarily 2 lane highway and a long boring drive from Omaha. If I hit the lottery I'd move to Lake of the Ozarks and go to the Missouri gathering.:smile2: