Neatness Counts!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Nov 26, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Fish respond better to bait that is fresh and neatly trimmed. Ragged chunks of bait tend to be a turnoff. Soaking a bait in the water too long saps the odor it gives off. That's why it's important to change bait frequently.

Sense of smell is vital to most species and they use it to find food. Bait works better in a current because the flowing water helps to broadcast this smell track. The same theory of fresh bait applies to live bait. Change a live bait often so that it remains frisky. Rest tired baits in the live well. You will be surprised at how much better fresh bait can be. And, you should be aware that there are smells that repel. If you have gas, oil, sunscreen, and other contaminants on your hands, touching a bait or lure produces a negative effect. Keeping your hands clean or rubbing a neutralizing agent on them could result in more fish.

Good luck :)

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i will have to agree with you on using fresh bait and changing it often as for it being neatly trimmed, i doubt that has any affect on the bite at all. catfish and other fish will stack up below hydro-electric dams and gorge on the bait fish that have been pumelled and crushed going through the turbines and i seriously doubt that they take the time to inspect them to see if they are trimmed properly. same goes with the bait you use. i have cut bait every different way there is and it never really seems to matter.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, but I mean any kind of fishing not just catfishing. Even saltwater fishing. Plus I fish in calm deep water alot with live bait. And when your not fishing at a tailrace the fish are alot more likely to look at your bait and inspect it more before they grab it. At a tailrace I noticed they will just grab your bait without much concern. At least thats how it is around here.

good luck :)

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    You are right about changing your baits and smells on your bait slowing down hits.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah the most important part of that tip is diffently changing your bait, and strange scents on your bait. I know for a fact that tabacco and sunscreen can mess up your baits scent.

6. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I have to disagree with the tobacco smell. I smoke when I fish and have never had a problem with fish not biting. I have even heard of people catching cats on cig. butts. Also, I do not see how cutting a bait nice and neat makes a differance. I fish alot of open water and clear water and have cut my bait many different ways. I have even just ripped my shad in half by hand and have noticed no differance. I

I do however agree with putting new bait on. I change bait about every 15 mins.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I change my cutbaits often, usually every 30 minutes..Live bait I leave on the hook as long as it's alive..Dont know if making neat cuts makes a difference or not..And I agree certain smells on your hands can turn them off.

8. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    when i am targeting big blues, i use a large fillet of shipjack or the biggest shad i can find. i usually will give a hole 30 to 40 minutes before i pull anchor and head for another spot if i haven't caught a good fish. i can't tell you the amount of times i've had a bait in the water for 30 minutes with no bites or have had small fish pecking at it only to have a big blue come by and slam it! i fish heavy current most of the times. i believe the longer it stays in the water, the better the chance of catching a fish from a good distance. shad does seem to me to loose drawing power after this long but the skipjack tends to still be fishing good.

as far as neatly trimmed pieces go, i personally don't think the fish in a current situation is going to inspect it before ingulfing it.

i disagree with the tobacco thing to. i smoke like a freight train.

and the sunscreen thing...my wife is usually covered in the mess and she is bad about catching the big one of the day.

just my opinion..........

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Reason I say tabacco, and other odors like that are bad. Is because I read it in a fishing magazine where scientist, biologist, etc. had actually done studies on it and proved that they CAN but not ALWAYS be turned away from those odors. As far as that neatly trimmed thing goes, I leanred that trick from a pro saltwater fisherman, and aplied it to ALL DIFFERENT TYPES of freshwater fishing, and I've noticed that it can help in some cases ;)

good luck :)

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I also believe that having fresh bait out produces better. Odor does seem to leave after soaking for a period of time. But there has been times that I wondered if fish actually do eat a lot of the old tossed bait that we throw in the waters after we fill that it is no good. This has been evident by seeing old cut tossed bait lets say from a day ago inside the cats bellies after I chumed up and area with old bait before. I generally let a bait soak for an hour and a half to an hour before I change it. This is on my slow days. When its on you do not really concentrate on how long to soak the bait because they are biting quite frequently within in hours time.