Neat article on MO Riverbed issues...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Aug 16, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
  2. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    branden interesting article. went to the coe office to get a book on the missouri river for the location of sandbars/dikes and aked them why they were cuuting the dikes. they said for the sturgon spawn or I dont know. they started cutting the dikes in kc about 5 years ago. alot of good fishing spots wre lost due to this

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Same out this way - the cut dams don't make nearly the scour holes and it seems like the fish don't like the holes behind the cuts:confused2:

I'd heard sturgeon as the reason too, but I just happened to run into this as well while I was looking around. Between the dykes getting cut and the high water lately it's changed a lot in just the 4 years I've lived here.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I knew a man (commercial guy) that hackle- back fished the miss. below Memphis. He fished for the roe, back when it was legal. Anyway said he run a line off the bank across the river and wherever he caught one, would run a line parallel with the river. Said that if you were off a few feet one way or the other you caught nothing, but if laid in the right spot there was one on every hook. I wonder how the COE knows where exactly to cut these holes at?
    On a funny note, i remember him cussin the whitecat that was always straightening his hooks:smile2: He used small wire hooks and red wiggler worms.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was talking to a guy who used to commercial fish the MO over here (again, while it was legal) and he said kind of the same thing. He said they had to set their hoop nets in the "tunnel" to catch blues. I'm assuming by the tunnel he means the groove in the channel, but not sure. I sure wish he would have had time to go for a quick boat ride so he could have shown me what he mean on the graph:big_smile:

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Branden-the holes behind the cuts make great winter holding areas for the blues. They will feed on the sand hump between the inside and outside holes. Same type of dike that I caught my first good wintertime blue this year.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good subject Branden, a couple years back I was talk’n with some MDC folks about this very thing in the Columbia area. We were on the Mo and they described and even showed me some of what is being done in coop. with the COE, also mentioned this to be ongoing up and down the Mo… This project is more than just knocking holes in dikes but also channeling around existing structure to better provide habitat for our fisheries here in Mo… This MDC hancho loves to catfish and favors flatheads, being that is his interest he has noted and increase in flatheads in such areas. Most comments here so far have been directed at blues, the impact I have seen is very favorable, one of my best blue honey holes (when the water level is down below it‘s surface) is such an area. It provides more surface area to aerate the water attracting more bait fish. The lower the water level the larger the scour hole, when water level is up flowing over the top, it fills in the scour hope leaving little or no depression at all. With water levels right, that second scour hole can be sweet along with the sand bar in between that Doug mentioned… My own personal notation is - have caught more flatheads where such work has been done as well as some awesome bait spots. :wink:

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's good stuff! It's going to take me a bit to read and digest it all, but I've got nothing to do the rest of the week in the evenings but sit in a hotel room. Those papers should help pass the time. Thanks Todd!

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Brendon really good article how have you been?

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is some good info! The river is a valuable resource that we have to keep up on and protect.