Near Memphis

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by SaltDog, Dec 21, 2009.

1. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    Hey All,
    New guy on here, living north of Memphis and trying to get some local info. I am in the Navy and just moved here from Virginia Beach where i fished the James River. Just looking for some friendly people in the area to chat with.

Terry

2. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Welcome to the BOC and thanks for serving our country, I live in middle tenn. There are some great folks on here, alot of people that fish west tenn post on Ms. so I would watch Tn & Ms.:cool2:

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Terry if your North of Memphis then you are right in the hearty of "big cat" country. Anywhere around memphis is great. The mighty Mississippi has it's challenges and dangers but can yeild great rewards. Welcome.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi Terry. I grew up west of mempho about an hour. Good fishin all over the place there. Where Wolf river dumps into the Sippi below Mud Island is a good area. Been years since i fished the river and usually fished north of Helena, but all that part of the river has great fishing. Welcome to the BOC

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Welcome to the BOC, Terry.

6. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Terry, welcome to the area. Listen to ole' shadguts, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to fishin north of memphis on the big river!! Look under the state of mississippi in the catfish talk by state and you'll find where most of us talk about our fishing on the mississippi river. I think you'll find the river challenging and rewarding. Do you have a boat or do you fish from the bank?

Daryl

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Terry Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I look forward to reading of your Tenn. fishing trips.:0a25::0a22::0a22:

8. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome, I do have a boat 15 ft bayliner, nothing big but it fish's 2 people nice.

9. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    ShadGuts, thanks for the reply, I have been on the river a few times but had bait (frozen skipjacks) that i bought from Glenn Spings lake bait shop. Is there any other way to get bait here? I really dont want to drive to Pickwick just to make bait.., Can we use cast nets or gill nets here? Do we have Gizard Shad here or Skipjacks? and ideas on how to make bait would be great.

Terry

10. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC. The others are right...You are in one of the bestest catfishing areas around. I grew up right across the TN MS line and tweenty or more(NOT TELLN') Memphis was my partying town! Used to even ride horses way back on the air base. You will find a huge amount of infor here and Coach a member knows the sippy like the back of his hand.

11. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC,
    I've been on for a few months and am all ways finding new info to help me out, I dont think I've found a site on the net with a nicer bunch of folks!

12. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    Again thanks for all the warm welcomes.

Shadguts, I still dont have my first 10 posts so i will write on here.
    I launch at Duval Landing. And you are right the condidtion of the frozen skipjack was now very good. Do you catch yours here in the mississippi? I am not really looking for eating size fish, I like the challenge of trying to find the big ones.

13. FirefighterBull

FirefighterBull New Member

State:
    Charlotte Tennessee
    hey salt dog where you at near memphis you said your in the navy so im assuming somewhere around millington area i grew up out there in millington, havent had a chance to hit the mississippi for cats gana try this next year and hit it i live in middle tennessee now we fish the cumberland mostly

14. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    Bull, I do work on base in Millington. Been in the Navy for over 20 years and love it. If you make it down here to fish the Miss let me know, I live about 3 miles from the boat ramp.

15. Catman50plus

Catman50plus New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Saltdog, I am about an hour from you. If you are going all the way to the landings there in Tipton Co, why not go on and hit the Hatchie, where the to me better fish are if you are going to eat them. I am between the Hatchie, and the Forked Deer, which now has good fish in it as well. You can E mail me if you wish, and I will tell you more, if you leave a few for me ........

16. festus

festus New Member

Welcome to the BOC, Terry and Tommy

17. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    welcome to the boc. im a old navy guy to. the fishing around there is awsome. you are in big fish area. the ols miss can get wild, dont know if there has been a big tourney down there without the big fish being over 85 pounder. the area your at has had a fish come to the scales over 100#.

18. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC Brother, If you are going to fish the Mississippi stay North of where they dump sewage into the Mississippi River or cross over the the Arkansas Side. There are several brothers close to you. I work in North Memphis. I fish the river chutes, Horseshoe lake and the St. Francis river though the St. Francis has not been giving up much.

19. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    Again thanks for the warm welcome from all BOC brothers and sisters. I am just waiting for it to warm up a little and try to get back out and look at some of the spots ya'll mentioned and try to find some of my own. I really dont like going out when the anchor rope freezes when running from hole to hole.