NE Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by moldo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. moldo

moldo New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey I'm new here. I have been catfishing for only about a year and I'm still trying to find a good spot. I usually fish near the power lines between the shaw highway ramp and lane's ferry. I have no problem catching small cats most of the time with liver, shrimp, and nightcrawlers. However, I have been trying to catch some bigger. I have tried bream and eel in and around the area but haven't had any luck. If any of you guys could give me some tips or maybe even a locations where I may have better luck I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys!

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Calab welcome to the BOC , LAST WEEKEND THE CAPE FEAR CATTERS HAD A SMALL TOURNEY AT CASTLE HANYE ; 4 BOATS 32 RODS IN WATER FOR 8 HOURES NOT A SINGLE FISH BROUGHT IN . RITE NOW WE ALL NEED TO KNOW A SPOT TO FISH :smile2:

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Its been slow out there this year man. I have only caught a fish over about 3 pounds in 1 out of the 5 or 6 trips I have taken out there this year. When I had success I was fishing in the main channel with cut eels. Eels have been the bait out there that work best from my experiences. Take some shrimp and light tackle out there next time..we caught about 20 little guys like this one day and had a blast even though the big guys weren't eating.

4. moldo

moldo New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I was doing something wrong (and still might be) but it sounds like they just aren't biting :(

5. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    the bite should be picking up soon it,s been way off this year i haven,t got a decent fish yet but i know they are in there just have to pick the right time oh yea welcome to the boc good luck

6. moldo

moldo New Member

State:
    NC
    I set a line out tied to the dock where I keep my boat a few days ago. I checked it morning and afternoon for 2 days and finally on the night of the second day I got one. I don't have any scales but I'd say it was about 10 lbs give or take.
    As far as actually catching anything of decent size on rod and reel I have had no luck. I caught one today that was about 1 lb. and had a few bites but that was it. I'm still fishing around and trying different areas. I was out from 9am to 5pm...man it was hot...sunburn sucks :angry:

7. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    hey Moldo welcome o the BOC , its awsome . I don't know how your cuttin your eels but I make only two baits out of a hole eel ( if there under two feet or so) . I use a strieght J hook size 6 ought with a carolina rig that has an egg sinker size depending on current where Im fishing . I cut the eel about an inch behind there but hole and they tend to stay alive and kicking for a good while . I also use hole big live brim that i trim the dorsal or back fin off of . Don't know how your doing it but this usally works good for me . Hope this helps , Good luck .:wink::big_smile:

8. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've have fished down that way alot and have never caught anything of any size during the day always at night, I fish a little farther up around sawpit landing and shelter creek.