NE Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mhbomber, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I finally got out this afternoon and fished untill dark. We went down river from the boat ramp at Castle Hayne and had no luck. We had shrimp, shad and eels for bait. Water temps were between 52-56 degrees and the tide was going out all afternoon. Just thought I would post a report...its been a while!

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i talked with u at COUNTY LINE BAIT & TACKLE ,we went upriver to some creeks an set 25 hooks fished them about 36 hrs got 9 fish averaged 4.5 lbs. i would like to talk with u on how u rig ,an fishing sspots for rod7 reel.just ask Jamie he knows how to get up with me /or my son

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Just ask me whatever questions you might have and I'll do my best to help you out. You can send me a private message as soon as you get a few more posts.

4. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Sorry MH you didn't get any cats buddy. Hopefully I will be out there in a few days trying my luck at em.Going after some shad Friday to put up for bait.Hopefully they will be running good by then.Best of luck next time out .

5. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I got out to the river yesterday with my usual fishin buddy Adam and fished with Randy (catfish98054) for the first time. The weather was overcast with on and off showers and shrimp and shiners were for bait. We wanted to use some fresh eels but the bait shop was sold out when we got there. We tried our best to catch some eels on the river but had no luck. We ended the day with 15 small cats. 13 blues, one channel and one flathead. Randy is a very knowledgeable fisherman and a great guy to hang out with. I hope we can get out there together again soon.

6. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    Went out on the 11th early. river was flowing pretty good, due to rain and Jordan lake releasing water from what a game warden said. And yes they were checking everything. quite a few folks on the river catching shad with nets. I caught a PB blue cat around 9:15pm weighed in at 26lbs on cut eel. It was my friend and I first fishing trip of the year and not a bad way to start the year out I think.:big_smile_2:

7. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree MH Randy is a hellova guy to fish with. now only if he could stop fooling around and show me where the big cat holes are. i know he knows them hes just holding out :smile2: lol

8. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Gonna hit the ne cape fear Friday to troll for some shad.Don't know if they have made it up to the spot we troll for them yet but I hope they have.Need to load the freezer up with some for bait :wink:.Will let ya'll know how I do.

9. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I just walked in the door from a short trip out at Castle Hayne. We set up at our first spot and caught three small guys in about 35 minutes and then the wind started howling and messed us up a little. We moved to another spot and as we got set up the current was dying off and the wind was still blowing like crazy. We decided to drift with the trolling motor for a little while and also had no luck. We had some frozen eels and fresh shrimp for bait and all 3 came off the shrimp. I got to use my new fish finder today and was really happy with what I saw. It will probably be next Monday before I get out there again at the earliest, so good luck to all of ya'll to get to go this weekend!