NE Cape Fear River 6/8

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Jun 8, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Went out this afternoon for a little while. Fished from 6 to about 9:30. Only got 1 and had two other hits. As usual it was tough up there, never done any good on the NE Cape Fear but I figured I'd give it a try since I haven't fished it since Feb. At least I got 1 (and doubled my total amount of cats from that area:smile2:) and I got my first blue using the clicker:big_smile:. Didn't have any eel though, only shad. I'm gonna try and hit it up at night sometime here soon and see how that goes.

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    congrats you got 1 more than we got in 2 nites and i had eels bream shrimp shinners not 1 fish and it wasn,t just us talked to 2 other boats nothing 4 them either. went to the upper part today on 53 nothing but very small ones there not a good weekend for catching

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    hey wes where did up put in at we did castlehaynes went up friday nite &down river sat nite

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Castle Hayne is where we put in at today. Only fished there a hand full of times but I know there are some nice fish there. A friend of mine has caught a few nice blues out of there, probably in the 30lb range. We went down and fished today, got more than I've ever got going up river.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hey Randy, do you usually do better going up or down river from Castle Hayne?

6. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have fished castle hayne section of the cape fear for the last two weekends with odd results. Got a couple small ones to the boat with the three big strikes hitting on bream and eel. The big strikes were strange though. All took out 5-10ft on the clickers and dropped the bait before I could get the hook set. Last weekend I figured that the heat wave had some pressure with it that put them in a funk, but that is fishing.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've never fished much up that way and the only times that I have I haven't done anything. There is certainly good fish up that way I just haven't fished it enough to know where to look.

8. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    we have had better luck down river,seem to be better structure that way although my biggest ones have come from up river that was when i first moved here 3 years ago have tryed these holes repeadly with no luck since.mostly fish below the cut now

9. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've never fished the Cape Fear, but I have a tourney coming up in July based out of Tory Hole, Elizabethtown so I'll be above lock #2. I need to pre-fish it and figure I would get there mid-day and scout around then fish all night. What is the water like? Depth, hazards etc.? Any sewage/wastewater discharges or feeder creeks around? Doesn't look like it on GOOGLE but hard to tell. Thanks for anyones help!!

10. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    went out on the river this morning..got off to a later start than we hoped. we started fishing around 9:30 and left around 2. big thanks to randy for helpin me out with the river a little bit. we were planning on buying bait from the baitshop at the boat ramp but it was closed. on the way out we took the time to read the sign out front that said they changed locations and are now across the street. :angry: We fished down river a bit at a couple of spots with only chicken livers for bait. had a couple bites but only hooked up with one gar. good to get out on the river for the first time and plan to get back out there soon.

11. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    got out in the river again this afternoon. we fished down river from castle hayne as the tide was coming back in. we used cut eel for bait and caught 1 channel cat and a huge gar. water temps were in the upper 80's.

12. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    went out yesterday afternoon fished till 1 am got 5 small(very) cats. dad got 1 good run but didn,t stay hooked up think it was a gar.going to try the black river tommorow

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Let us know how that Black River trip went.

14. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    trip went well for only 2nd time on river dad got 2 flatties(3&6) we also caught 4 channels big enough to eat (1 to 2 lbs) yellow flies bit the best today.

15. bigcatattack

bigcatattack New Member

State:
    nc
    I put in on the NE last weekend in the hot weather...Fished all night and only reeled in 4 fish. 2 blues and 2 flats... I fished with eels and live bream.. Ive had really poor luck this year at the NE. Last year I had some pretty decent nights with 20's and 30's caught.. Never anything any larger though....This year has been strange.. Fish are real finicky. Only one fish actually ran a little. I had a 12lb blue on the other end and he never clicked the reel....I dont know if it has to do with water temps or even unoxyegenated water from the lack of rain lately.......anyway, good luck fishin!!:smile2: