NE Cape Fear 7/3/08 pics

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mhbomber, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Hit the river again this morning and tried out some new spots on the river. I am trying to find a few good holes so I can put my cousin on some fish this weekend (he is from SC). The action was early with a gar on the line before we even casted out all the lines. I hooked up with this cat about an hour long and it was a great fight. Took about 15 mins to get it to the boat, and then we realized it was too big for the net. We ended up with 4 gar and 2 cats. The big cat was 18 pounds and the smaller one was 4 pounds.

Attached Files:

2. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of the 18 pounder.

3. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina

hey Matt, You need a bigger net. Never know what you are going to get. I found out the hard way.:tounge_out:

4. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Very Nice Fish Matt!!!!!!!!! GO BUY A BIGGER NET.......I had to land a 37# blue by hand and trust me its no fun at all........invest in a net! Great Catch though!

5. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    congrats matt thats a nice blue looks good in that new boat also ,keep it up and i,ll be calling you aksing where & how:smile2:

6. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    sounds good randy...good luck to you

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish man! Glad the boat is working out well for ya. Those skiffs seem like they'd be a great catfishing platform. I'm hoping that the jon I'm looking at is going to work out like I want it to.

8. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    This is a pic of yesterdays 9 pound blue.

Attached Files:

9. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    We got out on the river yesterday evening and this morning for a little bit. Yesterday the wind and boat traffic was terrible. We had a time just trying to get anchored. The bite was a little slow but we managed one blue that was 4 lbs. This morning we only fished for a couple hours and landed a 10 pounder. Eels are my favorite bait by far. Catfish seem to love it and we have caught multiple fish off the same chunk of bait. Here are some pics..

Attached Files:

10. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    hey matt you didn,t leave any fish 4 me we wound up with 2 stingrays 1 crab and about a 3 foot gator &8 small blues but it was a nice day to be out there

11. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Well you seemed to have an interesting day to say the least. Do you see a good many gators out there? I have seen the warning signs for them but have yet to see one. We didn't make it back out in the evening..it looked like some storms were going to move in.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How far is Cape Fear from Naggs Head, I will be there a week, any guuide you guys would recommend?

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I believe that it's a pretty good ways from Nags Head. I would recommend Alfred Bass. He's a good guide in the area.

14. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Nice fish Matt!

15. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Looks like you guys had some great trips and got some nice fish :big_smile:. If ya don't mind me askin,wher are ya putting in at on the NE Cape Fear.The reason I'm asking is because I might can suggest some spots to take your cousin .Just let me know ok.Again,glad ya'll had a great time and got some good fish!!! Take care:smile2:

Timber

16. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    We have been puttin in a Castle Hayne.

17. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Sent ya a pm MH !:big_smile:

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out this afternoon for some cattin' on the NE Cape Fear. Just went by myself for a couple of hours. Did better than I ever have but that didn't take much:smile2:. Caught my first flathead out of the NE and then I got another and had a fish break me off. I found some submerged trees/brush on the depth finder (thanks Randy) and that's where I caught my fish. All the fish hit eel, even the gar that I caught:eek:oooh:. I also fished with live bream and cut bream (both frozen and fresh) but had no takers just gar messing with the baits. Wasn't too bad. One of these days I'm gonna get on em out there. Got one fish out of about 14ft of water and the other and the one that broke me off were in approximately 30ft of water. Tried to take some pics but of course the battery was dead:angry:

19. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I got out yesterday morning for for a few hours as well. We fished from about 8 to 1 and caught 9 fish. 6 cats and 3 gars. Two of the cats were the smallest I have ever seen. We reeled one of the lines to check bait and had a fish on. I took two of my buddies who are not very experienced fisherman and they had a great time. We had one good fish on..the bait clicker started screaming and I got the fish hooked. I felt it was a good fish so I handed it over to one of my friends who had never caught a big cat. He had about a 10 minute fight and wasn't gaining on it much before it broke off. Man I wish I could have seen what it was! Anyway...another great day with friends on the river!

Attached Files: