NE Cape Fear 7/17

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mhbomber, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Went down river today and fished for a few hours this morning. We used cut eels for bait and fished a couple of different spots. We caught 3 cats a gar and a ray. The first cat was about a 10 pound blue, a small blue and our first ever flathead. We also had a couple hard runs that didnt get hooked up. Good day on the river!

Attached Files:

2. 23mako

23mako New Member

State:
    north carolina
    What stretch of the river are you fishing?

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    congrats on the flat sounds like a pretty good day

4. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Randy, can those rays do anything to hurt me? I have never caught one and wasn't quite sure how to handle it. I put in today at Castle Hayne.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They can get you with that spine on their tail. The best way to handle them is to flip them over on their back and throw a towel over their tail. Then you can get the hook out without too much difficulty. Whatever you do don't stick your fingers in their mouth, you won't like the result:wink: Or you can just cut the line boatside and that's that but I like to get the hooks out of them.

6. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    matt first thing i do is to break that barb off with needle nose pliers then flip them over on their back and get my hook out once the barb is gone not much danger except the teeth

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never seen a true stingray with teeth, and regularly pick them up by their upper lip. (maybe I've just been lucky) Clearnose rays have some mashing teeth that aren't pleasant and I don't remember if cownose rays do or not, I'll find out next week fishing Pamlico sound though. Butterfly skates I don't recall having any teeth either.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I believe that both skates and rays have dimorphous teeth, ie they change during mating season. They have flat chrusher teeth most of the time but during spawning season I believe it's the males that get sharp "shark like" teeth and they will flat mess you up, ask my buddy McLean:smile2: They use them to hold on to the females. Those flat crusher teeth don't feel good either.

9. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    i should have said mouth & not teeth. i have never been bitten by one but the hold they put on pliers sometimes lets you know you don,t want your finger in there :crazy:

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I stick a knife through their head, clip the tail with sidecutter pliers and dump them overboard.. They are taking over the sounds and destroying the shellfish population....

11. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    you can also dress them out and fry them up,done right and they are tasty

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, between them and the massive hordes of red drum there are now, neither crab nor clam is safe. Red drum up this way have flat out dessimated the crab populations.

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've tried it, but it tastes like a bad scallop to me.... no thanks....

14. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I went out on the river today with catking13 (myroomate) and tried to fish for a little while. Well...we got our first skunking. 0 fish and two blue crabs. We had a terrible time trying to anchor and the wind was spinning us in circles. We had two good runs early in the morning before the wind picked up. At about 11 it started thundering so we headed for the house. Hopefully we will get on em next time.

15. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I do believe matt pretty much summed up our trip today...:angry: Anyway i was curious about kahle hooks.....we seem to get a lot of good runs and even seem to hook up with the fish and then POP and hes gone. We are using circles now and i was curious as to if kahle hooks could get us anymore hook ups?? Also whats the protocol when using these things? let the bait clicker run and then snatch the hook real hard?

16. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Went out with CatKing13 this morning trying to catch a few blues. We got a few of hard runs that didnt hook up. That has been happening a good bit lately...starting to get us frustrated. anyway...we caught a 1 ray, 2 gars and 1 small catfish (under 2 lbs). Water temp was about 83...down from what it has been lately.

17. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I will take a day like that any day versus working.:wink:

18. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    it was a nice day out there...I have never seen so many bait fish in my life. schools were just cruisin by the boat one after another. The ray we caught mananged to give birth to 4 babies while we were about to put it back in the water.