NCWRC Public Hearing / Norwood 1.10.08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 10, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I stopped by the NCWRC public hearing in Norwood this evening to see the "lay of the land" and get a feel for the format in Morganton next week. The primamry focus was the proposed restriction on the blue catfish harvest on Badin Lake and Lake Norman.

I did not sign up to speak at this meeting since it was not my home district, but some of our BOC/CCC members did and they out numbered the opposition 3:1!! GREAT JOB GUYS!!! I will let those guys fill you in more on what they said and what they took away from the meeting.

The good news is that the topics we are interested in are near the TOP of the list. I was out of there in 30 minutes, but the Morganton meeting will be a bit longer because there is some trout legislation before ours that will probably bring about some discussion.

Our BOC/CCC guys also suggested to the NCWRC a reduction in the proposed 100 jug limit to 25, so that is something we need to reinforce for them in Morganton.

I will get you more information from the meeting later.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dieter, in the thread you posted earlier a few weeks ago with the link to the topics up for discussion, I also sent in my comments of a 25 jug limit down from the proposed 100.

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Good job MarkJ for suggesting to reduce the number of jugs down to 25. I think that is something we can make happen either this year or next. It just makes sense from a public safety and litter standpoint.

Thanks for your support, even though these lake are not directly in the area you fish. Hopefully we can get other anglers from outside this area to voice their support, because it is in these areas that are not affected that we need our voice heard.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    3 to 1 was good enough for me. I will say i have never been to one of these meetings and didnt know what to expect myself but brother catrod came over and got to talking to me. He informed i needed to speak. As soon as the opposition spoke i had no trouble speaking. I didnt want to hear it myself....lol. I enjoyed the meeting and i can tell you this our voices have been heard on the jugging! Im all for the blues law too but if we can get the 25 limit on the jugs that will be a mile stone for the yadkin chain. I also add the fact that tillery should be add to the list of trophy lakes. I seen alot of head shaking going on in the right direction with that topic also. It was a last minute choice for me to go and boy am i glad i did. I now got the right to do more complaining if i dont like the out come. Anyone thinking about going to the morganton event should go. You will come out with your head held high for supporting these law changes. At least i did. Nothing like fighting for something you enjoy. Go...Go...Go. Also got to talk to the wildlife folks at badin in reguards to the studies going on at badin this week. Biggest fish caught so far was a 30 lber by them folks in the nets. They have several nets out in different areas too. Nets get checked every day.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I have reformatted the plans for my discussion to cover the reduction of the lug limit to 25 from 100. Hopefully I can throw out some arguments that will be effective.

Thanks for speaking up Catfishrus. YOU DID AWESOME BROTHER!! I think after Catfishrus, Catrod, and Tomahawk spoke any of the opposition left decided they did not have much of an argument!

We have Price tied up in a cage, we have been slapping him in the face every now and then, and he ain't been fed. If NC State beats UNC Saturday it may be nasty next week at the meeting in Morganton!!!

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    To Catfishrus, Catrod and Tomahawk, I thank you'll for respresting the catfish community and the Carolinas Catfish Club last night in Norwood. It is fishermen like you that will lead the catfish community in the future. Thanks again. Mac

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Yes, as Mac said, thankyou for taking time to go to the meeting to represent us.

8. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Yes, as Mac said, thankyou for taking time to go to the meeting to represent us.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I would like to ask you guys to to also add in tillery for the trophy lake studies in your speaches. Alot of us on the yadkin feel the preasure will get relieved by folks over harvesting tillery. It wont matter so much if the 25 jug limit gets passed but i dont know how that will work out. I will say its not the folks that dont like the jugging as much as it is the jugs getting left behind and turning into trash factor being the reason for the law. At least that was my take of what was being said. Tillery is just such a fine and up coming lake that it would be a shame to see it fall off. I dont know that this can be done either but they do ask for options on the proposals.

I would also like to say if it wasnt for the carolina catfish club these new laws wouldnt even be up for a option. I joined the club this past fall due in part to lake norman blues coming to one of our yadkin tournaments but i can tell you that was the wrong reason. These guys are working hard at preseving our sport of catfishing and 20 bucks is a small price to pay and show your support. I cant make it to all the meetings myself but that 20 bucks was well spent for me. I do get all the good email for the events going on in my area too. I will be renewing my membership for 2008 at the nccats event on norman tommorrow. Good job fellows.

10. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We need to get the law changed so that it's legal to catch white perch in cast nets for the purpose of using them for bait. That's one law that's overdue to b changed. I can't make it the meeting but it should be discussed there.

11. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I couldn't agree more. The white perch are an overabundant, and under harvested fish. There is no creel or size limit on rod and reel. CMJ told me that a wildlife representative said there was no intention to stock white bass in Badin or Tillery anymore because they can't compete with the white perch.

In the larger view. Thank you to all of you who are going to the meetings, making arangements, calling representatives, etc. We will all hopefully benefit from your hard work. I don't have the time right now to devote to that, but I certainly want the outcome. Thank you for representing me on these issues. I would like to add my support to what Catfishrus said, that Tillery should be included in the limit on large fish removal.

Thank all of you.

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    How do i find out about joining the carolina catfish club??Like to find out more about it,so would my son-n-law and my son,thanx

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Cathooked,

Search all my threads, check out the one titled "The CCC". You'll find the membership info there.

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC