NC Shad regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by jerry9497, Feb 13, 2007.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I read in reg book that shad was a gamefish, american and another type. they had size limits and creel limits. Is this the same type that we castnet around here? just wondering. Here= Tillery,Badin,Highrock,Norman

2. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    no catch all you want out of lake just dont go over 200 per person

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    No, these are different shad. What we catch around here are gizzard shad, that's mainly what we got the day we were at Tillery, Threadfin shad, and bluebakc herring. You can net these all day, but only 200 per person per day. The shad that are gamefish are the American Shad, Hickory Shad and White Shad I think, not positive on the white shad, might be a slang term for one of the other two. They are ocean run fish and run up coastal rives to spawn in the spring much the way stripers do. I don't think you'll find any in Badin. Jerry, you about ready to get that boat back in the water?

4. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    i went in a store on the way to bills marina last year they had frozen shad they were american or hickory i think american some body sold them to them i would say they come from pee dee or santee they had freezer full i would not liked to pay the fine on them they were not skip jack or blue backs i have caught the same bait in front of dam on bait rig so i know they come from ocean

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Yea ready to hit badin, I've looked at map enough, need to go get wet. It has been way to cold for me lately but I hope it will taper off after next week. Badin still 1.5 hrs from me right now. I cant make quick trips until I get my camper and boat down there. you will have to show me difference between shad. I don't want no problems with WM. I took castnet out saturday to practice in yard. done it just like you showed me. it spread out good. I caught about 20 little spur balls from sweetgum tree. had to hang it over the swing to get them off. so I put it up. but I think I'm better at it now. lol next time I throw it, it will atleast be in water. then maybe catch bait

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jerry the more you throw that net the better you will get with it. i remember the first time i got one and my dad telling me "you not going to catch nothing with that"....lol. he was right for a while but now hes the one picking them up off the floor. throwing in the yard is good practice too but still not the same as in a boat. you got to clear them rod holders.....:lol: one key to catching bait in the coves is using a trolling motor to get on top of them. i seen alot of guys running around out in the cove before the tournament at tillery with the big motor running just throwing away. i never seen them get many but i loved it when they came towards me with that motor running.:big_smile: when them shad get deep they scatter when they hear that motor coming. now when they are on top at night no problem getting them with the big motor. they run along in front of the boat then. you better get you at least two nets too. nothing worse than going to the lake and tearing the one up and cannot get bait.:angry:

7. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    There are two types of shad in NC lakes:

Gizzard Shad
    &
    Threadin Shad

Current limits on these are 200 per person. In some lakes, you might also catch similar species such as Blueback Herring and Alewives. These are stunted versions of their ocean going anadromous bretheren and the limit is the same as the shad. Remember, the limit is an agregate limit so you can only have 200 total (like if you had 50 Threadfin, 50 Gizzards, 50 Herring and 50 Alewives). Lakes like Gaston, Norman, Badin and several others have three or four species. Lakes like Falls, Jordan and Harris only have the Gizzards and Threadfins.

There are two types of anadromous shad (the kind that come up river in the Spring). These are the ones with "gamefish" status:

American Shad (also known as White Shad)
    &
    Hickory Shad

The limit on these is 10 per person per day. This is also in agregate so as soon as you get to 10 fish of either species your done throwing them in a cooler.

To make things even more complicated, there is a moratorium on "River Herring" (ocean run Blueback Herring and Alewives) over 6 inches in coastal rivers. That's too bad because there is not a better bait on the planet for Roanoke River Stripers in the Spring.

There is a little information on the different types here:

http://greggofish.com/Howtoguide.html

The shad are easy to tell apart by looking at their mouths. Gizzards point down and Threadfins look like a mouth is supposed to on a fish.

After writing all that out...I know why folks use chicken livers as much as they do. :lol:

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    thanks catfishrus, And I have thought about 2nd net. I want one a little different anyway. I think its 5 foot. would like to move a little bigger. also has fine mesh, seems like it sinks slow. I didnt know where to start when I bought net. but starting to figure it out.(thanks BOC) I've never put my boat in without bait already on boat, feels like daniel boone just go to lake and start from there.lol Going to try it because I'm just starting to find lakes up here, bait shops even harder to find. I'm taking camper and boat out to Badin Shores in a couple weeks. I still like Tillery and highrock but I had to get a place closer to area. when I fished with Chris at Tillery I had to leave the house at 4:00am. The lot I got a Badin Shores is plain dirt, nobody has camped there so I have to do tractor work and cement pad before it's ready. but this weather giving me cabin fever already. Thanks greggofish I need to print that out. thats alot of useful information however the shad on website look alike to me. lol Are you a guide or something?

9. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    don't like people enough to be a guide.

I irritate easily.

The shad really are easy to tell apart once you know what to look for.

10. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There are also alewives in badin. Noy a lot, but i did get some last year and this year.

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, Badin has alewives and blueback herring along with gizzard shad and threadfin. Alewives look a little like herring, but herring tend to be more longer bodied that alewives. Alewives are built kind of like threadfin. I'll try to put up some pictures here if I can find some.