NC Gun question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have lived in NC for several years but am still trying to figure out some things. Is it legal to carry a hand gun in fishing boat when there are not any hunting seasons open. Any other rules about guns and boats that I might need to know would be appreciated. Want to do some night fishing on the Cape Fear but I am to old to be fighting with critters two or four legged.
    Have nice day.

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    http://www.grnc.org/guns.htm

All of the info is there.

Pretty much allright if it is not concealed.

If concealed, better have a cc permit. I have a permit and it is easy to get.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont think it is legal to posess a firearm at a wildlife boat ramp.
    I have done it more then a few times although I'm not advertising the fact.

Take for instance Shearon Harris. Much of it is gamelands and duck hunting is allowed from the water.
    Both ramps are wildlife ramps.
    So I think that law isn't really stressed. I've never been searched for weapons on any lake, boat ramp, or river. Never been asked if I had one, and of course I'm not walking from the truck to get in my boat waving one.:smile2
    Game Wardens do have some common sense. Where I think it would be more apt to be enforced would be lakes like Jordan or Falls, where the population of lake users boaters and non boaters would be alot higher.

4. karloskws

karloskws New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would hold off on the handgun, I would go w/ a pump action 18" Barreled, 7 round mag tube, and hold a mix mix of slugs , birdshot, or buckshot in it. All Legal.

A shotgun like a Remington 870, a Mossberg 500 or 590 is a good choice. If you live around Cumberland County, You can get a good one at Wal-Mart on Skibo Rd, Yadkin Rd. or US 401 .

Two other good sources are Classic Pawn/Phase 5 Tactical on Reilly Rd. or Carolina Firearms on Bragg Blvd.

It is always better to have a shotgun if the other guy shows up w/ a hand gun......

If you have any other ?????'s on this I have some ideas. I am an active duty SF WPNS Sgt. and have built a few nice shotguns in my day......

Just contact me offline on email...

Karl

5. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry I don't need another shotgun. I think I am going to get CC and be done with it.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes you can carry a gun on a boat, but all laws concerning concealed weapons apply.

YOU CAN NOT have a weapon at a state run public boat ramp.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wylie, as I stated above, I think it has alot to do with where you are at.
    Obviously a boat ramp in a state park at Jordan Lake you would be asking for it.
    But we have many NC wildlife built, owned, and maintained ramps particularly in the eastern part of the state. They are routinely used to launch boats to go to places to deer hunt or to duck hunt. Therefore there are times I've seen more armed people at the ramps then unarmed.
    Like I said, the wardens exercise common sense as we should.
    Shearon Harris is a good example. Hunting is allowed as most of the surrounding land is NC game lands and duck hunting is allowed on the lake.
    There is only two ramps on the lake and both are state owned.

I think if you called Raleigh the state owned ramps would be broken down into two categories. NC state park ramps and NC Wildlife ramps.
    There is a slew of hunting activity surrounding NC wildlife ramps the further east you go.
    We have wildlife ramps all over the Pamlico sound that are the entry point to the eastern flyway and all types of hunting from bear to duck.

You cant posess alcohol in any state park or campground but I've never seen a sign on a wildlife ramp saying you couldnt.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I thought I would share my official response by email from the NCWRC on the gun issue and boat ramps.

Mr. Johnson-
    You can have firearms at WRC-owned boating access areas, but they must be unloaded. It is illegal to possess a loaded firearm on a WRC boating access regardless of whether it is hunting season or not

And I also asked for any information they had available on shocking such as number of license granted.
    Here is the second part of the reply.

The issue of electrofishing is in the process of being revisited at this time. There were a few bills that had passed the General Assembly several years back that made it legal to electrofish on several rivers in the eastern part of the state. The WRC had no ability to regulate this. A bill has been introduced, and passed from our understanding, that puts this activity back under the control of the WRC. Our Fisheries division will be looking at this issue. Feel free to contact the Fisheries division main office at 919 707-0220 if you have questions.

Thank you for your inquiry.

9. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Mark,
    Thanks for the update. You got the info right from "horse's mouth". That is encouraging news about electroshocking fishing.
    Have nice day.

10. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    saw this too late. you can have a pistol or rifle or shotgun or cannon:big_smile: at any boat ramp. if it is a wildlife ramp, it must be unloaded per regulations. while i wont tell anyone to break the law, i have been at enough boatramps at 2:30 with weirdos and crackheads hanging around to let me understand what the lesser of two evils is. yall stay safe.

oh yeah, i rec. everyone get their concealed carry license. carry a weapon and know how to use it. it may be you or a loved one that comes back alive from an otherwise deadly event. it also excercises your guaranteed second amm. rights. lets the gungrabbers see how many real americans are left.:0a26:

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thganks for the info Mark, as normal your on top of things.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've heard a few times on the BOC it was illegal to possess on NC boat ramps.
    Common sense was telling me different. NC wildlife boat ramps are just that . Hunting a fishing. They provide access to many rivers and lakes AND gamelands.
    I always carried at any rate if I felt the need for it. Some of these ramps are far from telephones and cell signals. You would be own your own as far as your safety.

13. fishman247

fishman247 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    my fishing partners mr. smith and mr. wesson are ready to talk to any thugs at the ramps.......
    i dont need a loaded gun in my boat,i'm safe there....the ramp is where it will be needed
    if all the legal people unload at the ramp then your a target cause anyone wanting to cause trouble will have there's loaded

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You know, I've never had any problems at a boat ramp that a gun would solve and I've used many ramps all across this state at different times of the day or night.
    Its not the ramp I worry about. I can load and unload and be gone before most people could decide whether to make me a target.

Sure I've seen fights because people haven't learned to back a trailer and I've seen the drunks and druggies.
    Never seen anyone waving a gun in a threatening manner.

If I shot an unmarmed man in a parking lot where it was illegal to possess a loaded firearm I would spend more money for an a attorney that might keep me out of prison then my boat, gun, truck, house, and fishing equipment is worth.
    Proving self defense would be difficult.

I am usually aware of my surroundings enough (nobody is going to sneak up on me on a ramp) that carrying I mean toting a large frame automatic unloaded is not a problem.
    It can be locked and cocked in a matter of a few seconds should my life be threatened by something other then a fist or a drunk slobbering fat man wanting to know how many fiiiis hiccup, I caught.
    If a shot rings out from out of the blue directed at me a loaded gun still wont be any good. I would still have to identify a target.

If you are constantly in fear of your life wherever you go to the point you feel you have to have a loaded gun on you just go buy one of the large framed autos. Not many people are going to mess with anyone carrying something large like a Desert Eagle loaded or unloaded. Size does matter.:big_smile:

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys i never carry a gun on me fishing and last night while waiting out the storms i had a fellow drive up to where iwas setting and wanted to borrow some money to go get his son at 12.30am. i didnt give him any but 12.30 is a little late to be worried about picking your son up. i believe he wanted drug money but not sure. when he came up i sure was thinking i wish i had one for the just in case(just had that feeling). wouldnt never want to have to use it but things are getting crazy with the dope heads. i mean there i was with my son and father going fishing and this guy could have robbed us or shot one of us. i know guns dont solve the problem but i would have felt secure. kind of like growing up in the country and moving to the city but now the city is coming to the country. on the other had i met two other fellows that stop after taking there boat out of the water and shot the breezy about fishing with them for 30-45 minutes watching the thunderstorms go around us.