NC Goldfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JAYNC, Sep 19, 2005.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Where in NC are people buying gold fish to fish with. Are you finding big ones at bait shops or are you buying small ones and letting them grow in your own tank. If so how long does it take for them to reach catfishing size. I have always heard that they are good bait but I dont know if its worth it to get them or just keep using bluegill and eel.

2. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I know you can get them at walmart. Never grew my own Keith knows about that he shoudl be able to help you with it.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    cool, I will just wait to hear from him then. I am in no hurry anyways being stuck out in the california desert for another week.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I get them down at the tackleshop in smithfield by the breadbox.

They aren't really goldfish. They are called toughies or orange toughies. Its a cross between a minnow and a goldfish the best I can tell. So they are legal to fish with, they aint a goldfish.
    1.25 a piece too. Don't bother unless he has big ones in.
    I made the mistake of not looking at my bait once up there. I got down to the river went to bait up and had a toughie the size of a medium minnow to go on an 8/0 hook. :cursing:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jay, tell your local bait shop to order some. More then likely they buy from Penny Farms .
    Tell him not to bother unless they are 4-6 inches long.

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jay mark beat me to it bro.
    Most times they have them just samller to a little bigger than the ones mark mentioned.
    I did get some to grow bigger in the home tank though.
    The name "toughes" suits them. I've had the same one on a hook from sunset to sunrise then took the little feller home.
    If he doesn't have the size just ask him and he'll order them for ya.

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Man $1.25 a piece thats pretty stiff.
    We get regular gold fish here in Ok for $4.50 a dozen I useually get them by the pound which figures out cheaper $8.00 nut you get 2 to 2 1/2 dozen depending on the size.You can also get feeder gold fish at most of your pet stores not sure what the going price is if you have a tank to raise them up to fishing size.
    Loop

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tackleshops would go out of business without live bait. Typical mark up here is 125% - 300% depending on the bait.
    We used to do 1200 a weekend in sales on live bait alone . That pays the light bill and the cost of the living stream.

When nobody sells toughies and eels but him, he controls the market.

Loop, it cant be a true goldfish.

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    They look like regular gold fish that you would get in the pet store for feeder fish.Look like a gold colored carp,not a fan tail like you get at the pet stores.
    They are goldesh orange so I an everybody else says they are gold fish.Don't know what else to say. LOL
    Loop

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I'm not sure of the tech name for em,but, I've used them and had 50./50 luck with em.
    The reason they're not "true" goldfish is because it's illegal to use that here.
    I "think" its a cross between a carp and something else. I'll try and find the true name for em.
    But if ya hold em side by side with a goldfish from say walleyworld,you can see the slight differences.Some even slightly resemble a Koi. sort of.
    :confused:

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Cool, I will go to the bait shop and see if they can get some in. Hopefully I will be able to catch something. If anyone needs menhaden for the gathering let me know, I am going out on the lower neuse the morning I come down. You can catch hundreds in one cast.

12. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Hey guys, Tyner's Bait shop in Princeton has them too. Well, most of the time. I have to check with him before I plan on using them though because he doesn't always have them in. He usually gets them on Wednesday but has a couple of guys who buy them out quick. I emailed the Wildlife Resources Commision earlier this year and asked about using live bream and live goldfish for bait. They told me it was not illegal to use them but it was illegal to release the goldfish into public waters. So, if you have any leftover, don't throw them in. fwmud is right about them surviving. I have taken them off the hook before still alive, and put them back in the livewell to use a bream or something else, then used them later in the night and they are still kicking.

13. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    i know that juanitas bait and seafood has goldfish and live eels.It is on 43 north toward vanceboro.i live off spring garden road in new bern and only about 10 miles form me.hope that helps you jay.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thanks, I found the NC eel farm in trenton and I started buying them 50 at a time, that way I can just put them in the tank and use them whenever. I only used 2 last night though, so I guess they will last a long time.

15. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    wish Iowa would allow goldfish and eels for bait

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Its illegal to use eels, wow that sucks IMHO I think they are the best cat bait, hopefully they will legalize it.