NC flathead record

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by phillip puryear, Sep 20, 2005.

1. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    we fished at riverside tonight and the guy at the register said that sunday night 2 guys set a new flathead record 78lbs 6 oz dont know who it was

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    2 guys and a bush hook maybe? :D

If it's that old fella up there at Riverside listen with one ear.
    He knows the tackle shop game well.

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Phillip, unless they've changed a lot, buy your stuff somewhere else. They were skyhigh on prices there the last time i went in.

4. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    the old dude at the counter said that there was 4 game wardens there to check it out and that they also sent a bioligist ? to verify that it was a flathead. bush hook or not they said it was caught on a live ill also we try not to buy anything there but the ramp fee Going again tonight around 12 midnight to fish the early morning who knows there is always one bigger

5. dihardhunter

dihardhunter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A newspaper article from down east somewhere or another said that the scales used to weigh the fish were 20 pounds off, do a gogle search on it and it came up for me last night. The guy's name was Kershaw I believe.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The classic foot on the scale trick? :D

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Nope. no foot on the scale.
    It was one of those scales that weighs with the increments;
    "about" or "it was between".
    ROFLAMO!

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Gotta make that cash register go cha-ching some how.

9. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    10-4 on the cash register

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    phillip, if you're not sure,or can give better advice,
    tristan(southernraised) knows fayettenam real well as far as baitshops go.

11. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    fwmud, Not real sure about that guy at riverside. that is the first timei have seen him in 5 years of fishing there. there was a crowd of guys in there wanting to know about what was caught and that was what he told. if it is the truth it sucks because we didn't catch it he also said that was the only cat that they cuaght sunday night. if that story was the truth great catch to the guys who got and NCWRC will let us know???? maybe

12. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    If it is true then you should see a write up in the Fayetteville Observer. I used to buy bait there but I found a better place that does not mark up the tackle and actually has a very good selection of catfish tackle. I am not sure what street it is on and it is hard to find. I think the name is Bayless Rod and Reel Repair or something to that nature.
    Mike

13. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    i found this no.919 707 0220 it is one of the no. to NCWRC a lady named sara andrews said that the flathead record was broken 78lbs but all the paper work is being worked on again if this happens again call this no. then press 2 when prompted then press 1 when prompted..

14. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Hey Bluecat if you could for me find out exactly were that shop is cuase i am stuck going to riverside most of the time and they dont really have much for catfishermen and im tired of stuggarts high prices been looking for another place to go but with no luck i would really appreciate it.

15. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Greg,
    You have mail. I PMed that info to you.
    Mike

16. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    bayless rod and reel is on whitfield street near the 87 by pass. and yes there is a new recoird. they are still doing paperwork. they called me and gave m,e info about it today. i will post later.

17. hhefner

hhefner New Member

State:
    Spring Lake
    While making my rounds in my patrol car there were two guys uset cause they couldnt get the wildlife officer out there to weigh it. It was huge!!! They had it in a LARGE live well on the boat. He wouldnt say where he caught it but that they were in the direction of lock 3. When asked it was by pole. The time I was with them was around 00:30. I made a statement about the BOC and one of them said he was a member, so maybe we all will get to see it. I keep a camera in my car, but it batts. were dead. This brings me to the question of at midnight were can people get fish weighed?

HEF.

18. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    well, they had it in a live well and as long as they keep fresh water circulating, they can get it weighed in the morning. a stout stringer would work too.

19. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    heres a "copy page" from Nc wildlife site. Haven't found a "afterhours number but will continue to look;

How to apply for a North Carolina State Fishing Record
    The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission's Division of Inland Fisheries keeps lists of the largest common freshwater game fish caught by sporting methods in North Carolina waters. It keeps only all-tackle records. No line-class records are listed, nor does it keep records on all species of fish. It does not recognize fish that have been caught in nets or on set lines or trot lines nor fish that have been speared, snagged or shot. To qualify for state record recognition, a fish must have been caught on hook and line in a sporting manner.

In making application, the angler must provide the following information:

the common name of the fish,
    its weight on certified scales,
    its length from nose to tip of tail,
    its girth,
    the date caught,
    the location of the catch,
    the name and address of a witness to the weighing,
    and the name and address of the angler.
    If there is no witness to the catch, an affidavit as to the circumstances of the catch will be required.

Fish caught in joint waters—that is, bodies of water shared by adjacent states—must have been caught in the North Carolina portion of those waters.

The fish must be weighed on scales that have been certified as accurate by the NC Department of Agriculture. Such scales will bear a dated inspection certificate. Report that date as well as the location of the scales (name and address of the place of business.) Additional information may be required and must be provided if requested. The fish itself must be examined by a qualified expert. Fish should be frozen or otherwise preserved until identified. The Division of Inland Fisheries will arrange for a qualified expert to examine the fish. The above information must be given in written form and the angler must sign his name and provide a full side-view photo of the fish to:

Division of Inland Fisheries
    1721 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-1721
    (919) 733-3633, ext. 281

20. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    preserved means alive will work too right? it is prolly gonna be hard to get a wildlife officer out in the middle of the night........unless you are looking at some deer with your headlights after hunting all afternoon and not seeing anything and there just happens to be a shotgun in the backseat.........never mind, no sense dwelling in the past. but i was just looking really, and they were out of buckshot range........ :crying: