NC Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by going_crazy46, Nov 16, 2007.

1. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Any of you nc hunters know of anywhere around spring lake to deer hunt besides on fort bragg?

2. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I wish I did so I wouldn't have to sign out to hunt. The only other places I know are Shearon Harris Game Lands and Nicholson Creek but they are a bit of a drive. If you have access to hunt Bragg it may be worth it this year. There have been some big bucks killed so far and it hasn't been too crowded with hunters except the QDMA areas. If you can find the oaks and the planted food fields then you will find the deer.

3. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Thanks for the info. Guess I will have to get a bragg pass. I have a small wood patch out back my house but have had no luck spotting any deer. I know they are there but still no luck. Have hunted both morning and night. They must be coming out after dark. Lets keep this post open so other nc hunters can post their comments on how they are doing.

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I hunt in Davidson County. I've seen quite a few deer this year and finally got one last Tues. He's no monster, but he'll eat good. There's a very nice 8 pointer that I've seen twice. He hasn't presented a shot yet. How's everyone else doing in NC?

Attached Files:

5. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have also been hunting in Davidson County. I haven't seen much buck activity... yet... but, I have seen some nice does!

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    floundaman congrats on that there W/T , look's like some fine eat'n.

7. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Floundahman

8. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Floundahman - anymore sightings of that 8 pointer?

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a tender lookin buck ya got there,Jim ,I bet that will be some good eating.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have passed up 6-7 bucks myself since rifle season opened. i got some nice up and comers if they can make it for next year. i been letting them walk now for two years and i see a differnece in these nc deer with horn growth. things got hot and heavy around thanksgiven day with buck action for me but has since settled down. i did see a 7 point yesterday but he needs another year. i pass them up here because i really dont need the meat but if the right one steps out i will shoot and eat him. i missed the best buck i have seen this year on thanksgiven day. he was a 6-8 point with a 17-18 inch spread. not a giant but a nice deer for nc standards. i hunt cabarrus county myself. my dads been running dogs and they have had a super good season. one of the members shot a 10 point today with a 15" spread in anson county. they also killed a 8 point in the 140 class too along with two 11 points in one week with one of those in the 150 class. those came from warren and vance counties. they have been hunting 2-3 days a week since mid october though.

11. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Went out last night and had my first deer of the season in my scope but it was from the butt. Had to let it walk away. Hopefully tonight will get another chance. Thought I would see more deer as I am the only one hunting this area.

12. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Still looking for my first deer. Wish it would happen soon as I need the meat for the freezer. I am laid off and the meat would sure come in handy.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    find the food source and camp out until dark. i seen 4 yesterday and 7 this evening but they came out right at 5.30. all does here. maybe a little corn pile will help you fill the freezer.

14. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can know your pain about ft bragg. I hunted fort bragg for many years. I retired from there. I stopped hunting ft bragg around 98. I joined a couple of hunt clubs, it was not easy but I was able to get into them. They were in roberson county. The biggest problem, is finding a club that does not run dogs unless your into that. As for hunting ft bragg I killed a lot of nice deer in DD3, AA, S. Q. Hunt close to the boundrys. DD3 is one of the best places I found to hunt. Across the firebreak on civilian side are soy beans, or corn in some locations. In AA across the little river they used to grow corn. Secret spot DD3 I think it is FB 15 head towards boundry, as soon as you cross creek at top of hill go off to your right into the scrub oaks it will drop down towards the creek and there are white oaks in the bottom it is thick but it opens up. If i'm right about the FB it is 2nd one past off limits area towards DZ. It used to not get a lot of pressure except when they had doe tags. I hunted a double drop tine in there for four years with a bow, he most of died of old age. I now live in TN so findind places to hunt is not a problem. good luck

15. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I killed my first deer this year out of Q1. S is still a good spot. My buddy killed one in S2 this year. I work in DD3 alot recovering drops on Nijmegan DZ. I always see tons of deer sign out there. I counted 8 deer one night while looking for one of our parachutes. That's just too far of a drive for me. I'd really like to hunt Camp Mackall. There was some monster buck tracks going right across the DZ yesterday. Too bad I can't work and hunt at the same time. As for your double drop tine, I've haven't heard of one being killed on Bragg. He probably made his way into the impact areas that are off limits. I can just imagine the big bruisers that are running around in there.

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we use to have land that joined mackall and we shot some decent bucks there but there was a giant taken there a few years ago on mackall. government bought the land we had leased and so there went that. it was around a 1000 acres.:sad2: deer still moving aorund here pretty good. i saw a small 8 point this morning and passed on him. first time i have seen him all year so they still roaming around.

17. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Got a doe this morning. Thanks for all your help Ken!

Attached Files:

18. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    congrats on the doe. Thats all I need to put some meat in my empty freezer.

19. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You're welcome... Anytime!!!

20. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Well I havent seen anything in quite awhile now. Bummer. Girlfriends son came home from the Marines ans wanted deer meet but guess he will be heading back without eatting any. All I see is tracks they are making late at night.