NBA power rankings

Discussion in 'LilRyjoe's NBA Talk' started by centralcalcat, Jan 24, 2006.

1. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    1 (1) Pistons 33-5 In case you've stopped paying attention, Pistons could soon match Tigers' famed 35-5 start in 1984. Which figures to reignite the 70-win talk, like it or not.
    2 (3) Mavericks 31-10 The cynic would say Mavs waited too long to sit Dampier. Life was good before the benching, but now look: Dallas is 5-0 since with an average victory margin of 21.
    3 (2) Spurs 31-10 With four quality wins after the Detroit debacle, Spurs don't drop because of their play. They drop because their second most important player keeps getting hurt.
    4 (4) Suns 26-14 Check that. If you want to beat these guys, taking them to double overtime works, too. Seattle didn't need a third to heap more OT misery on Suns.
    5 (14) Nuggets 23-19 On second thought, this month's 9-2 record -- all without Camby -- might indeed be enough to make 'Melo an All-Star. Even in the West, are there five better Fs?
    6 (5) Grizzlies 24-15 It'll be interesting to see how Grizz deal with their first crisis of the season. Not that slipping to sixth (and out of the SA-DAL bracket) would be so bad for them.
    7 (9) Nets 22-16 Just for fun, let's assume Nets beat Heat out for the No. 2 seed and home-court advantage in Round 2. Would you still pick Miami to win that series?
    8 (6) Heat 24-17 It was Riley, not me, who called Miami a ''41-game disappointment.'' But the ''new'' East is so disappointing that Heat probably snare the No. 2 seed no matter what.
    9 (10) Lakers 22-19 Even before Kobe's 81, Zenmeister wasn't lowering expectations. Says Phil, regarding Artest: ''We're like a player away from really stepping into another level.''
    10 (11) Cavaliers 21-17 Only downer about those skid-halting 51 points in Utah: LBJ played so well in those compression tights that he'll have to keep wearing them.
    11 (16) Hornets 20-20 Folks are actually starting to ask where Hornets would stage playoff games, Which is another way of saying things are going too well to mess with Artest. Aren't they?
    12 (8) Jazz 20-21 Uh-oh. After all the fuss over their record with (17-8) and without (2-8) their star, Jazz go on to drop four of five with no Kirilenko injury to blame it on.
    13 (13) Clippers 21-16 Clips are a passable 4-2 since dropping within three games of .500. Tough, though, to get noticed in L.A. when Kobe's going for 50-something every other game.
    14 (12) Bucks 21-18 How does a team get over its first loss in a tight game? In Bucks' case, games against Hawks and Bobcats couldn't have come at a better time.
    15 (7) Pacers 21-18 If it's up to Pacers to lift the city spirits, post-Colts ... uh-oh. They're 9-11 since Artest's trade demand and down to a month left before the deadline to swing a deal.
    16 (15) 76ers 20-20 Team of the Week? Try Roller Coaster of the Week, with Webber and Iverson blowups, then the OT win over Memphis and the comeback in Minny.

2. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I tell you what, Denver is on hot streak right now in the West and the Pistons are just amazing right now! I mean 33-5!>?! They are on pace for a record setting year! Artest is killing the whole Pacers franchise right now.:mad:

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I can see by your post that you have done your homework. I would agree with your rankings except I would probably switch the Nets and the Cavs rankings. My main reason would LeBron.. LeBron..Lebron this guy is amazing. Another couple of additions and this team could suprise as well.

4. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Kobe who most think is a younger MJ even says that Lebron is more skilled at this point either any of them

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Lebron is great, but he does not seem to want the ball in clutch times. I seen him pass the ball way too much in those situations and he seems scared to take those shots. He is still young and should develop those attributes as his career goes on. But now, there is no other player in teh NBA today that is a better clutch shooter, and perimeter shooter than Kobe. A. I. is second.

6. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Good point Brian. Lebron has amazing talent and has to be up there when it comes to talking about, most electrifying players to watch, but when he matures, he will be considered one of the best players of all time! Kobe... Well, we don't even have to say anything about him. If he had two other decent players on his team, the Lakers would be one of the top teams, if not the top team in the NBA! Even though the Pistons are looking pretty damn good right now! I can't say enough about little Allen Iverson either,Brian, it seems like every time I watch Sports Center, he's got another fourty point game under his belt! His speed is amazing and it's hard to imagine how a six footer can have so many amazing scoring performances! It's going to be a fun year to see who gets the MVP of the league, there are so many dynamic player it will be hard to come up with one!

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Allen .I.
    What cant you say about him , hes awesome I say hes the king of the ankle breakers!, and like lilryjoe says being a shorter players hes awesome..another one is Stephon Marbury

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    You know... I forgot about AI. I have only seen him play in a couple of games this year and he is a talent. Too bad no supporting cast for him. I dont know if I would be so quick to put Kobe as #1 but he would be near the top of my list. I would list my top three as
    1-AI
    2-James
    3-Kobe

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would pick my top 3 as:
    Kobe
    AI
    Artest

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I like tim Duncan just fine
    But I really miss the 3 pointers of yesteryear!

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I dunno baitfish. He is getting up there in age. It is hard for an older player such as Duncan to compete with all these young stars. I will say he brings maturity to the court;)

12. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    1 (1) Pistons 37-5 Trying to keep it fresh with those ''boring'' Pistons, we steal this line from Bernie Bickerstaff: ''Most teams have a go-to player. They have a go-to team.''
    2 (2) Mavericks 34-10 How do you make a run at the Southwest crown and the West's No. 1 seed when you're last in the league in assists? With the league's deepest roster, that's how.
    3 (3) Spurs 34-10 Duncan and Ginobili aren't playing at full strength, true. But nothing has changed: Every team in the league outside of Detroit would trade for Spurs' problems.
    4 (4) Suns 28-16 Good as they are sans Amare, Suns have to fix this with or without him: 0-5 in games decided by three points or less, thanks in part to all those OT heartbreakers.
    5 (8) Heat 27-18 Don't blame the committee (of one messenger). Facts is facts: Heat are 16-8 under Riles, but 0-6 against the top four and just 8-13 vs. teams with winning records.
    6 (10) Cavaliers 25-17 Told you LeBron wouldn't be able to ditch the tights. How can he? After that six-game skid, Cavs are 5-0 since he started wearing them.
    7 (13) Clippers 25-16 They couldn't get Artest, don't know when Maggette will be back and can't get any pub thanks to Kobe. The consolation? Clips are back up to nine games over .500.
    8 (5) Nuggets 25-21 I agree with Denver's belief that working Camby back in shouldn't be that tough. But his first two games (home-and-home losses to Clips) couldn't have been worse.
    9 (6) Grizzlies 25-18 This is not the way to make an All-Star push: Grizz have dropped seven of nine and, fair or not, I suspect that'll put a dent in Pau's hopes for a spot in Houston.
    10 (9) Lakers 23-20 If you say Kobe doesn't make his teammates better, what you're really saying is that you expected these Lakers to be more than a top-10 team. These Lakers?
    11 (7) Nets 22-20 Losing Vince is obviously the killer blow, but this hurts, too: Nets no longer have the league's longest win streak of the season now that Pistons have won 11 straight.
    12 (14) Bucks 23-20 Bucks have been over .500 every day since Nov. 29. Of course, they also seem to be dealing with a new injury every day. This time it's Mo Williams . . . again.
    13 (16) 76ers 23-21 Could all the problems and tension be eased by some consistent rebounding? Sixers are 17-2 when they outboard the opposition, but it happens less than half the time.
    14 (11) Hornets 21-22 OK, OK. Even one week at No. 11 might have been a bit aggressive. But the question is still valid for at least another week: Will playoff games be in OKC or NO?
    15 (12) Jazz 21-23 Uh-oh, continued: Utah's slide is now at 2-6 and Jazz have two point guards (McLeod and Palacio) looking steadier than No. 3 pick Williams

Sorry I have been slacking guys

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Artest??????? Ok if you say so. In the last three games he has averaged 15 points and 0 blocks. These stats came from facing such powerhouses as the Celtics and Raptors. He scored an even 15 against the Nuggets who are a decent team. But common zero blocks for a guy who is supposed to be a one of the "better" defensive players in the league.:)

14. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I dont know if he is the best at this time. Is he very good? Absoultely without a doubt. His FT % has dipped somewhat and in the games I have seen him play he doesnt seem as aggressive "hungry" as in past years. But since hes on a team thats 36-10 its hard to argue against him.

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    1 (1) Pistons 39-7 When Chicago lost two straight in its 72-win season, it took Bulls from 41-3 to 41-5. Pistons' 2-2 week sets them back a bit farther; Detroit is at only a 70-win pace now.
    2 (2) Mavericks 37-10 With league's longest active win streak and only three more Ls than Detroit . . . you still won't hear any uproar about Dallas sending only one Mav to the All-Star Game.
    3 (3) Spurs 37-10 Spurs never sweat a stretch of eight straight roadies in February, but this (cushy?) Rodeo Road Trip comes with five days of rest back home after a 3-0 start.
    4 (4) Suns 31-16 As valuable as Nash is -- again -- try not to ignore Marion. This is also the best Matrix we've ever seen, even if he continues to be underrated and taken for granted.
    5 (11) Nets 24-21 It really would have been a special week had they won in Cleveland, too, but quality wins over Pistons and Heat stretch Nets' home unbeaten streak to 10.
    6 (7) Clippers 28-17 Over .500 in February for just the fifth time in 36 seasons doesn't make this the best team in club history yet. My beloved Braves, don't forget, started 33-17 in '74-75.
    7 (5) Heat 29-19 With Shaq back in Jersey, and Heat (seemingly) rolling at last, figured we'd see something big from the big guy. Try 11 points/six TOs vs. Collins and Uncle Cliffy.
    8 (6) Cavaliers 27-19 Last season's Cavs got to 30-20 before a 12-20 fold dropped them all the way out of the playoffs. These Cavs are hoping Hughes' return prevents a similar fold.
    9 (10) Hornets 24-22 Byron-bashers have no choice this time but to give the man his props. Unless you think Eddie Jordan is somehow pulling the strings from Washington.
    10 (9) Grizzlies 26-20 No slight to Pau and Co., but Grizz really aren't top-five material. And this comes, remember, from someone who liked them in the preseason more than most.
    11 (8) Nuggets 26-23 Yes: 'Melo and Stevie Francis both have MD ties. But no: The idea of making them teammates (Furious George's idea, I'm told) holds no appeal at all to me.
    12 (18) Pacers 23-22 Just when you think 1-1/2 seasons of adversity had finally flattened these guys, O'Neal-less Pacers stun Detroit to remind everyone that they're still here.
    13 (12) Bucks 24-22 With competition like Rip, Vince, Pierce, Arenas and Kidd, it'll probably be easier for Redd to get Milwaukee to the playoffs than get himself to Houston.
    14 (10) Lakers 24-23 Odom can't be all bad, can he? Without him, Lakers suffer two lopsided losses (in Charlotte and OKC) to bring a hasty halt to the Kobe 4 MVP talk.
    15 (13) 76ers 24-23 Relax, panicky Philly fans. It has been a rocky season up to now, true, but recent history offers this for optimism: Webber hasn't missed the playoffs since 1998.

Mavericks are coming strong, they might underratted as number two with the win streak they are on. After beating the Lakers and shutting down Kobe you gotta wonder

16. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Those Mavs are looking good ( thats 12 in a row now ) but don't get the respect

17. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

Well ESPN has them as number 2, but FOx is ranking them above the Pistons now in the power rankings. If they keep it up they will be on top of the league soon enough. Kinda like the Seahawks in the NFC last year no publicity, but they went to the superbowl with the best record.

18. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Sorry but I think if they (mavericks) make it to the big dance the end result will be just like the Seahawks.

19. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats right ,, good point

20. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    The Pacers are finally getting their bearings straight. Thank God!lol Peja is a good fit for the Pacers, especially after losing Reggie. They will hopefully get everything back in order and make a push for the playoffs in the second half of the season. I knew they would turn things around after getting rid of Artest. They went on a four game winning streak when Peja started playing.;)