NBA Dress Code

Discussion in 'LilRyjoe's NBA Talk' started by centralcalcat, Jan 24, 2006.

1. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    NBA this year began to enforce a dress code. i personnally liek the idea of professionals looking professional. What are some of the other opinions out there?

2. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    There are going to be a lot of opinions on this one, but I know that if I were being payed millions of dollars to play a professional sport, I would want to portray myself in a professional manner. I think it's a great idea! I think it not only makes the players look better, but act more professional as well. I know there have been fines that have taken place already this year, and some players want to have the freedom of dressing how they want and that's to be expected. I think it's important for sports figures to look and act professional for the young ones that look up to them as heroes and role models.

3. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Ryan, I agree with your entire post! These athletes need to look past their own ego's, and realize that with being a "celebrity" there comes a price: maybe that price is looking like an adult, instead of a teenager in the rebellious stage of their adolescence.:rolleyes: I view todays professional athletes as celebrities, they are in the sports world, and that crosses over into entertainment.

I fully feel you can keep personal style, while still maintaining a professional appearance. Plenty of celebrities do, and athletes are just that.

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    My opinion is simple if you are payed millions a year to do what you love, you can afford to buy and wear a suit to work.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Point blank no matter if its the Nba, Mlb, etc they are professional sports not back yard ball. They should look the part, professional. Also kids look up to pro atheletes, if they see well dressed athletes, they will follow. If I was getting their money looking professional wouldn't even have to be enforced cause I would already of been looking that way.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    JMHO I really don't think that because of your salary--to play a game--that you should be told what to wear. I understand what is happening and why. I don't care to see a bunch of thug-looking fellas in the national spotlight but I also don't think it's my place to tell them what they can or can't do. I don't care for midday soap operas and I wouldn't want my family to live that lifestyle. So, what do I do? TURN IT OFF! Take away the attention. Who pays the salaries of those guys? The fans. Who advertises for those guys? The media.

These people aren't being paid to be role models. They are being paid to play a game. For their talents on the court. Nothing else. If you choose to make them role models, be sure of what you are looking up to.

I would very much prefer to see people looking civilized when they are interviewed or presented as a 'star'. But, who am I to attempt to force someone to conduct himself to my liking? Seems kind of like fascism to me. :confused:

7. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I see where you're coming from Joe. I know that a lot of kids these days do look up to sports figures as their role models and heroes. Many players still don't really follow the Dress Code and are fined for it, but do you think they care? No! Would you care if you were fined $5,000 if you were making millions? I see the point you are trying to make about the "Players are being payed to play basketball and do well at it", but the youth of this Nation are becoming followers and I think it's best for Pro Athletes to present themselves properly and set a good example for the kids.

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'm not wanting to make anyone angry and I know that I'm going against the grain here but I still disagree with the above statement. The youth of this nation may be followers and learn from what they are exposed to but that doesn't make the professional athletes responsible for how they turn out. If anything, the parents should attempt to better control the content their children are exposed to. The dress code, or lack thereof, has apparently become a problem to some people. If that's the case, the impressionable people should be guarded from such exposure. If the dress code of athletes is the greatest thing that your child has to worry about, I would say you are in pretty good shape!

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am going to ruin my reputation, agreeing with ryan and brian:crying:

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I, too, can see both sides of the coin. I do feel that these athletes, once they sign their contracts, are to be held responsible for every aspect of their professional life. It's the same as Hollywood celebrities being mad about someone taking their picture...they sign up for that lifestyle, and being in the public eye by the profession they choose. They are indeed role models, whether they choose to be or not. Whether or not they want the acclaim, they have it. I have no respect for someone who has so little regard for the impressionable youngsters they influence that they cannot conduct themselves in a manner becoming a public figure.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you or I were to go to work not in line with the dress code and kept refusing to do so, I doubt we would work there long. No matter how good at our job we may be. It doesnt matter if we agree with the dress code or not. There should be some innovative discipline handed out. Say the first time a fine, second time a suspension, third time they get sent to the developmental league and paid at that level to develop into a professional. If they are on the clock, whether that be on the court, practice, or walking into the arena in front of thousands of fans. They are being paid for a service to be provided. That includes practice, the game, and how they represent their organization.

12. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    That's an excellent way of looking at it. I can agree with that. Well put!