navionics

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by catman from owensboro, Feb 4, 2009.

1. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    does anybody use the NAVIONICS gold on the river. i talked with NAVIONICS
    and they said it was the best for the water i fish.just wanted to no if it just a sells pitch from them it runs about $200.hate to spend that money if it no better then the hot maps thanks

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Catman I too looked at buying the chip but I think it's mostly intended for lake fishing. Rivers change quite a bit especially in my area so how soon before the chip is outdated?? I think a good fish finder a little knowledge of the bottom contour you should be ok.

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I have a Lowrance lcx 38 and bought the navionics gold sd 15. I fish the Mississippi river around St. Louis. My Lowrance did not show any detail whatsoever on the river. I purchased the chip and it shows creeks, wing dykes, sunken barges and a lot more detail then I was getting before. It also increased the detail of the lakes and was well worth the money. It is true that the river changes and I believe that the rivers maps that are available have not been updated in several years. It is not perfect but I feel much better having it during high water than without it.

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Ryan thanks for the info! I am still trying to decide on buying a certain fish finder with or without the navionics.

5. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    thanks for the help.still try to make up my mind if it the extra money

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If your looking at humminbird with the maps per loaded. I would check them out good. I know they did come with the older maps. And most people did not like them.
    Also make sure you can upgrade to the new maps if you need to.
    Pete

7. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Thanks for the info Pete I am looking at getting a 798 and I think I will not purchase the preloaded maps as it has 2 SD card slots. I may purchase the map card later if I feel I need it.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    And to add to Pete's statement, the base map isn't that bad to get started with, but you will probably want to add the navionics card as soon as you can. If there is someone who already has it, maybe you could fish with them, or borrow their card, and see how much it will benefit you. :smile2:

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Ask your local retail store to let you demo a chip on one of their units. You can get a good idea what to expect before purchasing.

10. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I've got a HB 997-SI with the navionics. Didn't want the navionics but it came with it. I'm really glad I have it. Turn on the unit, as soon as the GPS does it's thing - you know exactly where you are. You don't even have to be "on the water".