Navionics, which is the best one to buy???

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Catfish Pursuit, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello, I have new Lowrance LMS 522c IGPS and want to upgrade the maps. The maps that came with it are okay but I would like to get the most detailed available for the money and have no idea which is the best. Thanks, Chris

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Chris

You need the Navionics HotMaps Premium chip for your Lowrance. Don't buy the 2009 version unless there's some specific body of water that you fish that's been updated on the new chip - Cabela's is closing out the 2008 chips for $99 or so (or at least, they were a few weeks ago).

Visit http://www.navionics.com/HMPremium09Catalog.asp and click on your region and find the lakes / rivers that you fish. If any of them don't have a star (*) by them, they're new in 2009 - if they have a *, they're on the 2008 card also.

[edit] I looked at the 2009 information and there's been NO CHANGE for Missouri or Kansas from 2008. So save your money and buy the 2008 card...[/edit]

3. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Marty, gonna try and pic one up this week. Man, seems like the spending never ends does it? Chris

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Okay, checked Cabela's webste and they still had the 2008's in sale for $99 so I just ordered one, the south version which is where we fish. Does it come with directions on how to load it into the unit? Chris

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Varies by unit, check the manual for your Lowrance. Most automatically figure out that the map card is installed, some Lowrance require you to select the region you want to load - the LCX-25C I used to have required me to switch between regions when I fished on Truman and then back on the Missouri; my Humminbird is smart enough to figure it out.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Marty is correct. You will have to tell Lowrance that 1st you have a navionics chip then you have to pick the region you are fishing. At least thats how it goes with my X25.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'm look for a Navionics Card for my 522i GPS also. I'm wondering if anyone can help out more on which card they have (Premium, Platinum) and if they have used or seen both side by side.

8. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Both have 1' bottom contours

You get more states with with the Premium which I like. The Platinum gives you 3D view, satellite photo overlay and panoramic lake pictures. I never had any use for these features and would much rather have the extra coverage area that the Premium has.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I've been looking on there site for a few days now and I have talked to them about the cards I just do not know. The 3d view is what has me hung up. I think at times it would be cool but I have only viewed in via pictures on the website and in the books. But we all know in the real world things are different.