Navigation Lights

Discussion in 'Boating' started by fordman49450, Jul 31, 2007.

1. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well, I finally got my "navigation lights" the green/red one for the bow and a clear one for the stern. I bought the front one on Ebay for a good deal, but for the stern one I made it out of a baby food jar. I removed the label, mounted a 12V bulb and socket to the metal lid and mounted the jar upside down on a mast :) just figured I'd share this so instead of spending 15-20 dollars for a rear light you can build one for about 2.00.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like you are using that gray mass for something other than holding your ears apart,thanks for sharing.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, Justin, now you just need to check and see how far its visible. USCG regs, which most states have adopted, states the bow and stern lights must be visible for two miles. Guess you could park it alongside an interstate and drive two miles, then see if you can tell where the boat is at. You have a darn good idea, and I personally like to do the little "self help" things - but I gotta comply with a law/rule once I know of it... I would hope everyone is that way, but I know they are not... to each his own.

4. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I too like to follow the law. I dont know if it's visible for 2 miles, but I did take the boat across the lake, and it's about a mile wide, and my buddy said he could see the light from where I was anchored. so it's visible from one side of the lake to another, so I believe it's safe.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Nav lights are one mile on that size vessel and anchor light 2 miles.

I think one of the biggest problems with visibility on the nav lights is the nav light itself.
    Not only do they have to be visible at one mile they have to be visible as red and green, not pink and blue.
    There are plenty of items including lighting on the market that dont meet coastguard requirements. Its the captain's responsiblity to meet requirements not the manufacturer.
    Go with known brands like Perko and buy middle of the road and you should be OK.

Maybe if you go with seperate lights instead of both lights in the same unit your problem would solve itself. There is all kinds of shapes and sizes available. Possibly side mounted lights.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I too have installed nav lights on my jon boat. Don't have them hooked up yet though.
    fordman just check out the number of the bulb in the bow light. Put the same one in your stern light.
    The visibility thing is kinda misleading.
    Hell I've been on the river when I couldn't see much past the front of my own boat.
    I'm looking at leds.
    They make them in replacements for the old style 1157s and 1156s. Automotive stop turn and backup lights.They are pretty bright and don't draw as much current.
    I used a clearance light for my stern light. It cost $4.00 at Carquest. The clear lens cost another $2.00
    best of luck
    just

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    This has been covered before but I don't remember where or when.

I am in a 20 ft Jon.

Can I legally put my stern (anchor) light (it is tall) in a separate, temporary socket towards the front of the boat? Heck even a second light that is switch selectable so I am never without white light when switching back and forth?

Like many others I fish out of the back of the boat from a rod rack. That white light sure boogers things up as I am staring at my poles.

Yeah, I could just turn it off like many others but homey plays by the rules.

:0a36:

Edited here: What about a second anchor light? Once at anchor I go to white light only, I then place a second white light in the bow socket and turn off the stern light. Then the bugs are in the front and I am fishing in the rear nice and comfy. What do you think. (I know Mark will chime in here). Thanks Mark!

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Apparently time ran out to edit again:

How about if I carry a second anchor light and just place it in the Nav Light socket once at anchor? The one at the stern then simply gets turned off.

I have a bug-free, glare-free rear section of fishing heaven.

Am I still legal/safe? The Nav lt. goes back in its proper socket before I move from the anchored position.

Length prob. matters, we are talking a 20ft. Jon.

Okay, this is pretty much what I said in the last post, right???? I have confused myself. LOL

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've not seen anything saying you cant put a anchor light on the front of the boat. Its a 360 degree viewable light that signifies anchored. Its not an orientation light like nav lights are.
    Most center console boats run them on top of the T-top.
    Larger vessel do require a white stern light which is mounted on the face of the transom and not viewable 360 degrees. Totally seperate deal then an anchor light.