Navigation lights

Discussion in 'Boating' started by fordman49450, Jul 15, 2007.

1. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Just wondering if anyone has made their own front navigation lights and what you used? I have to put some on my boat so I can do some after dark fishing.

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Wally world sells a battery powered (2 D cells) navigation light kit. I had a small jon boat that, that was all I used. worked real good.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I bought bow lights on ebay.
    Cost me 99cents plus shipping.
    Lots cheaper than anyplace i've found.
    I need a stern light.
    Any ideas?

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I went to the local auto parts dealer. It was one of the jobber type stores, not Auto Zone. I asked for a cab clearance running light with a clear lens. It looks like this but with a clear lens;
    [​IMG]

I hooked up the wires to it, wired it to a fused switch and bolted it to a length of aluminum tubing. PVC would have worked just as well. When it is not in use the pole fits in a set of spring loaded clips designed to hold a broom or mop on the back of my rear bench seat. Another set holds it upright for night use.

It is bright, visible 360 degrees, replaceable bulb, and only cost $4.00.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You should remember that the red/green running lights, as well as the white stern light must be visible for a two mile distance. Whereas we can all make lights, some will not pass this requirement. Of course it is a coast guard requirement, but most states have adopted the coast guard requirements and can issue citations (that was a can, not a will) for those not in compliance. I believe I have read, possibly on the coast guard site, that the clamp on lights do not meet this requirement.

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Im going thru the same thing with my Jon boat. I want to install permanent naviagtion lights but its kinda of a pain the way the bow of my boat is made. Ive checked,checked and re-checked Ky's boat regs and they have no distance or coast guard requirment on navigation lights only that they are red/green on the bow and a 360* white light on the stern. I may end up going with the clamp on lights for now. I wont be on the big water anyway and when Im running I always have my belt light on.

7. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ok, I was at wallyworld (walmart)and asked for help for wiring my jon boat. The Gentleman sold me Electro-force 16 gauge automotive wire. A blue 30ft roll and a red one. I want to install my bow light and achor light (front and back of boat). After browsing online, some say it's not safe wire. Is this true?
    Keep in mind, I'm a newbie to this but want to learn.
    I should of asked if this stuff was waterproof also? Also another question is, should i use tubing for the wires (running front to back) or would the wires be ok without tubing? Boat is a 16ft jon . Any help on this would be great.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lights aint that high in price to buy one at wally world

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jon, I believe that wire is safe for your lights. There is a type of wire that is made for marine use, and possibly thats what someone was thinking - that wire was not for marine application. But, it will work. As far as running the wire through a plastic or metal conduit, that will only serve to protest the wire from accidentally being cut. If the wire has a plastic coating, it should be water resistant...don't know that there is really that much which is water proof. I would have probably went with different colored wires just to stay within the norms for wiring. I believe the commercial application of lights is red/black or red/white, with the red being power and the others a ground wire.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  11. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thank you for that good info AwShucks.
    I guess I was mainly concerned about the wire because you always hear about these boat fires from wiring.

12. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    looks like good wire, nice site too. thanks for link.

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Marine wire has a chemical resistant jacket and the wire strands are tin coated to help prevent corrosion in the harsh marine environment. I would suggest a protective conduct if at all possible. Split loom works great and is relatively cheap and easy to find. (Home centers, auto parts, ebay, etc)
    Dark gray and black are the standard colors used for navigation lights. Dark gray being the positive wire.
    There is a marine wiring code int he BOC library but is doesn't have the navigation wight wire colors.
    Here is a link to a site that has a standard marine wiring code.
    http://www.cmsquick.com/Tech.html

I hope this helps,
    David

14. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    That helps big time,thank you...