Navigation lights

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I have a 16' SeaArk that has no navigation lights on it and I want to install some. I was curious as to anyone else's opinions/preferences on the various styles of navigation lights out there. What do you and don't you like?

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to mess with the flashlight style that clamp onto the bow of the boat. The type that are removeable look to be very practical, yet perhaps a little on the fragile side. Then there are the tried and true bicolor permanent mount, bow light. That looks to be practical, and durable.

As far as anchor lights go, there doesn't really seem to be too many options for me. I don't want the flashight style, and the rectractable type won't work on my boat. Which leaves me with the removeable type. What height should the anchor light be?

Anything I could learn from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Jon, I have pondered the same things with lights,..... simplicity and easy up and all that good stuff.... what really worked for me was to attach the lights to my portable "tee top" that I made.... do you have a biminni top? The lights can be attached very easily to that, and with RV pig tails as the connectors for the postive and ground. My rig lookes quite big with the lights 6 feet off the water and gets some respect with the other boats. You can always get a "perco light system" with the base unit at the bow area, and then a short perco pole with the red/green lights. the same system at the back for the white light. I installed a shield on my anchor light to keep the light from comming down and messing with my eves while it was on ....used a white plastic bleach bottle (the top part of it) and pushed it up onto the pole of the anchor light to keep the light from comming down. As far as the height of the anchor light, think of it as a dome light....above the height of your eyes...

bayrunner ray

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The coast guard requirements are for the anchor lights to be visible on a 360 degree arc (a complete circle) and visible at a distance of two miles. So, if your using one of the anchor lights on a 18" base, you had best be laying down in your boat. LOL The 360 degree arc is to be unobstructed. That means the light must be the highest thing in/on the boat. I believe the largest removable pole they sale is the 48" model. If you do use the shade as described in the above post, you must insure it does not obstruct the light in any manner. The navigation lights must be on the bow of your boats and turned on when the boat is moving. Nothing is to obstruct these lights either, so you have to be careful where you mount a bow trolling motor. Your best bet is once you have the boat set up, run it through a coast guard auxillary inspection. They are generally fee and the life you save may be your own.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would go with the removable lights. There pretty dang durable. Mine have with stood those dang silver carp jumping into the boat and slamming into them. I would also get the rubber mounts that screw into the inside of your boat to hold the lights when not in use. This gets them up off the floor and out of the way.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have all Perko lights on my boat, base mount in the front was about $30 and its a 2 pin set up. there are a lot of perko nav lights, just make sure you can see it from the front with no obstructions, mine is about 15" I guess. As for the anchor light, the coast guard regulation was always that the anchor light must be visible from 360 degrees at all times, but the NC law for that went into effect in 2005. I have a 48" anchor light pole on my boat and it fits nicely in the rod box. Perko also makes rubber holders for the nav lights and anchor lights so you can store them while not in use. West marine has a lot of perko stuff, so does boaters world.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've used pontoon style nav lights and like them the best, if you've got a deck to mount them on.

Low profile and out of the way. No removable socket type to wear out as in an anchor light.

Nav lights are acceptible if mounted on a center console.

7. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    I have to agree that the removeable lights seem to be the way to go. I have had any problems with the removeable anchor light yet. I found my fairly cheap on eBay and it is a collapsable light as well. It is only about 24" when stored and then you can extend the pole to 48" when in use. Saves space in the boat and is still plenty high when you need it.

As far as nav lights, I can't say much. I still have the factory lights and they are no longer acceptable due to adding a bow mount trolling motor. I just haven't managed to replace it yet. When I do, I'm going with another removeable due to needing the extra hieght and not wanting the light in the way for anchoring in the daytime.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As with most of the above responses, I have Perco lights front and back, the removable kind with the rubber keepers to lock them in.

As for the Coast Guard requirement verses the state: In my search, it appears that all states have one small sentence in with their rules that say that all Coast Guard requirements apply in addition to state requirements. I may have not looked all the states up, but the dozen or so I did look up, all have that provision.

Bobpaul, did you mean the Anchor Lights, instead of the Navigation Lights? I do know the Anchor lights are OK on the center console, but was unaware of the Nav Lights being OK there.

On The Kutters Katter, I too was blinded by the Anchor light, due to fishing on rivers, anchored out with my seats mounted facing to the back of the boat. To solve this, and stay legal, I did the following. First, I mounted a Anchor Light on the center console. Then I installed a guard similar to what Gilmafam wrote. It can be positioned so that it cannot shine down toward my face when seated, but will still shine 360 degrees (over my head). With my rods held in the rod holders on each side of the boat, it will light up only the rod tips or so with no light shining into the boat creating blinding glare.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, center console one on each side, facing forward. Green on the right, Red on the left;

I've also seen the perko style mount put into the console for a nav light. From the factory. Polar boats does it.

10. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Fishing down on the coast you see all kinds of light arrangements on those barges and other boats.
    I have an 1860 Grizzly side console and the Nav. lights are the 2inch round sealed clearance lights we use on the big trucks/trailers. I found the green ones at the TTT Truck stop in Tucson AZ. The modified V bow is just the perfect angle so the lights fit flush and should be legal, in fact the game warden liked them. It sure is a long way for a replacement bulb. When I find some in LED I'll be sooo happy.

11. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I opted for the standard bicolored bow light (couldn't beat the price, my brother-in-law pulled it off of a boat he was getting rid of), and the typical removeable anchor light. This particular one telescopes from 26" (which is really convenient for storage) to 48" (which is just a bit above my head after it's mounted), I got it from Wally World for about $17. I also simply mounted the switches on the battery box, for the time being. I want to, eventually, build a small switch panel at the back of the boat to keep them out of the way, and hence from getting kicked, broken, smashed by an anchor, and from getting screwed up in general :wink: .

I also got my gps antena mounted and hooked up. So now I know where I'm going as well as where I've been. I also know my speed now too. Yesterday the 30 hp Suzuki pushed us up to 22mph at half throttle.

Jon

Attached Files:

12. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Hope this works but here is a pic of my nav. lights.

Attached Files:

13. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I like that set up Randy. I wanted to do something similar with mine. I may still, but for now...the price was right and they're on the boat. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jon

14. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I made my own rear light from one of the beehive running lights like they use on the cabs of tractor trailer cabs. I took a 48" piece of aluminum conduit and passed the wires thru it. At the top I mounted the light with a round guard to prevent night blindness form the light. At the bottom I clamp the conduit with two spring loaded broom holders from Home Depot mounted on the back of my rear seat. When the light is not in use it is clamped in a pair of the same spring loaded broom holders parallel to the back of the rear seat.
    Where the wires come out of the bottom of the conduit I put them in wire loom to protect them and keep down on tangles.

My light is like the picture but with a white lens.

Attached Files:

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have a 24' SeaArk and I use the pontoon style on each front corner on top of the gunwale because I have a trolling motor in the front center.

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Post up some pics of that setup if you can.

17. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I was in the same boat you're in, I just purchase a new boat with no lights, so I just bought a set of attwood light jacks. Just drill a 1 3/8 hole with a hole saw, drill 3 more 1/8" holes and bolt it up. One wire is ground and the other goes to a switch or battery easy to install. As far as lights, I like the removable that way if you use a cast net, you won't get it tangled all up in you nav. light. As far as an anchor light, I use a 36".