Navigation lights, what works best?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by mcseal2, Jun 23, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish a shallow river that is 3-400yds wide in most places. It has plenty of sandbars and submerged obstacles to hit when running at any time, and the channel is often less than 20ft deep and winding. I can run it fine during the day with my mud buddy motor because I can see obstacles ahead of time and run fast enough to stay planed out, but I cannot currently see well enough to run planed out speeds and feel safe at night. Fishing smaller narrower rivers I can see fine with my current lighting, but with the wider river I cannot see the channels twists very well. I have 2 RAM mount lights, and 2 55watt automotive driving lights on removable mounts on the front to use, as well as a 3 million candlepower spotlight for my passenger to use. I installed a stand up handle and can run the motor standing to see better safely. I use GPS to lay a trail in the daylight and follow at night, but it does not refresh fast enough to work in the bad spots. I very rarely see other boats running the river at night, and few in the day because of the difficulty of navigating this river. Most flathead fishing on this river is done with setlines baited in the daylight, but I would like to figure out how to see well enough to get around at night without beaching the boat regularly, anyone have any suggestions of what I am missing?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The ONLY thing I can think of is to trade your current rig in on an air boat. Lights just don't seem to work well at night, especially if your talking about boats and speed. If you slow down, your stuck. If you speed up, your in trouble. Nope, about the only chance you have is with an air boat. LOL

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Check out superbrightleds.com. They have a ton of cool lighting products that will not kill your batteries.

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I may have to look at the LED's you mentioned, I don't want to switch to an airboat very bad. They are cool and go anywhere, but the fan and motor take up a lot of room, makes it very hard to fish off the back. Also those motors drink a ton more fuel than my little motor. I may try downstream a little further, the flow really increases there and I may be able to get around easier. My boat will idle easy in 6-8" so I don't need to much.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Only option I know of would be to get better lights. Halogen bulbs are good, but there are better options out there. I have been using HID lights here overseas for the past year or so. They have converted me. One set of these lights will illuminate 10x's more than the halogen versions we had. They have shaped beams (flood, driving, pencil, and spot) and I have found that the driving beam would be best for my boats purpose. I fish lakes with a ton of timber and I can be too impatient to just put around.
    The driving beam is a flat, wide beam. The flood casts a huge round beam, and spot beam is tight, while pencil is even tighter.
    The driving beam will illuminate about 300-500yrds to the front of the vehicle in a 45deg arch. The light is super white, the only bad thing is that it does not work that well in fog.
    These lights are expensive...the sets we have are between $900-$1,100 a pair. That is a lot of dough. I had to see how well these worked before I would believe it. I bought a set and they are sitting at my house right now waiting on me to install on my boat.