Navigation Lights on Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by arkrivercatman, Mar 26, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I just bought a 14' Lowe Lake jon.It is completely original with no modifications what so ever. I will be fishing mainly at night on small to medium sized rivers.What style of lights would you all reccomend? I want them to comply with coast guard laws, being visible for two miles and 360 degree anchor light. The clamp on style doesnt seem good enough for me, I want a more permanent solution. Can I buy the regular style and just screw it into the aluminum?What is the minimum heighth for the anchor light?I like to keep things simple,LOL.Also how long will the battery last running the lights and a trolling motor occasionally? One more question, what is the difference between a lake jon and a river jon? I know that is has the two campartments full of foam near the transom, is that it? Does it make the noat more stable or sit shallower?Thanks for the help.

Pics attached to help visualize my situation.

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Congrat's! I can tell you that I got everything I needed when I redone and added on mine at walmart, (had the wire) it is Atwood products, Not sure on your state regs and what not but I use the 42" anchor light just to make sure it was up and out of the way. If memory serves I got everything for under $30 bucks 3 years ago and it all still works fine. from your pic i would say a hole saw and drill would be about the only tools and you should have it ready in 2 hours....LOL. oh also used 1/2" pvc to run the wiring through to keep it nice and out of way, either floor on along the side it will fit under your ribbing and lay out of way. Hope you "SLIME" the deck soon!

3. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Between Wal-Mart and Sportsman's Warehouse, you should be able to pick up everything you need. The KDWP website has the requirements for lighting under the boating section. The 16ft Jon boat I bought had the stern light mounted in the transom brace at the back corner of the boat and the bow light was mounted to the deck up front. Mine were attached with metal screws straight into the aluminum and seemed pretty solid. I've removed everything because I'm adding some decks to the boat, but when I put everything back together, I might use toggle bolts just to ensure a really solid connection.

I've been in Colorado for a few weeks, but all the Wal-Marts here have been replacing last years boating stuff with the 2008 stuff. All the old stuff was put on clearance. I picked up a bunch of stuff really cheap, so you might go check out the local stores. Most of the stuff I bought was 50-70% off normal Wal-Mart prices.

For running time, it shouldn't be a big issue. A 30-40lb trolling motor running at full speed should get 2+hrs of continuous run time off a good quality deep cycle battery. The lights shouldn't use too much battery power. The motor didn't look like it is electric start, but if it is, I recommend a separate cranking battery that is for engine starting only. That way, you aren't stranded if you drain your trolling motor battery.

Not sure on the difference between a river jon and lake jon, so I can't help you there. I would assume that the extra foam might make the boat a little more stable? Good luck with the boat.

Here's the stern light receptacle on my boat. Pics are from the guy I bought the boat from, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Here's the bow light receptacle. Again, poor picture quality because I'm not home to take better pictures.
    [​IMG]

You plug the lights into the receptacles when you want to use them.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    First off, congrats on the new boat. I Own a Lowe 1652, Lowe makes some nice boats. As for the foam filled pods at the rear, they are for floatation. The seats are also foam filled, as is the deck in front if you have one. I believe this is a USCG requirement, so that the boat will stay afloat at its rated weight capacity when full of water. The pvc tip for running wire is a good one, I did mine that way. Buy good quality bow and stern lights, I use Perko. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    P.S.
    Lake jons are usually narrower and sometimes have lower transom heights and sides. Most 36" to 48" wides are considered lake jons.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice looking boat thank you for sharing the pictures with us

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The term "Lake Jon" doesn't mean a thing...it's just a name that Lowe hangs on that particular model. They don't have anything called a river jon.

Your boat is a 1436, which means it's 14' long, and has a 36" wide bottom. The beam (width) is 57", and it's rated for 20hp.

If you put the wiring in pvc, use 1/2", and no larger. Anything larger, and mice will set up housekeeping in the pipe, and eat your wiring.

Since you don't have a good place to mount a switch, and they're somewhat of an achilles heel, anyway, consider using alligator clips at the battery. Hook 'em up when you need lights, take 'em off when you don't.

The stern light must be visible for a full 360 degrees. In other words, it should be the tallest thing on the boat, including you. No one makes one that high, but try to find the tallest one you can find.

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Went and got the lights for the boat today. I bought a permanately mounted bow light and a 46" stern light. I also bought some pvc that was small enough to fit between the ribs.Maybe tomorrow I can put everything together. I was interested in having a switch panel to control all of the accessories.For that I was just going to build a small box that will sit on the floor.I am want to do a simple flat floor just in the middle of the boat for comfort and sound deadening.Is it worth the trouble? I know that the space is limited and just want it to be easy to operate all of the essentials without moving around alot. I will post some pics when I finsh everything. I painted the trailer today and it looks like new again.Thanks for yalls help.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes it would be worth you time, for no other reason than eliminating your ribs and not tripping over them at night.... I added 1" closed cell marine foam and then covered with 1/8th" aluminum but you could use any material you like, it will help to deaden it also but I did mainly for the safety and neatness of it. I also took a piece of the aluminum and bent it at a 90 and added it under the rear corner bracket to add my switches to, worked well. I have the same design boat as yourself also. guess I can take some pics of what I am describing in the morning if you would like to see the idea for the switches? Hopefully it won't be raining tomorrow and I can get the on-board charge put in (nice gift from my wife) and a surprise to get I may add..... I would suggest that if your going to run the wire and anything else you may want to add (even later on) and your adding a floor, write it all down and check check check, you can add most to the floor and it will be out of your way, easier to do know than to remove something to add later....

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks. I agree about doing everything now.I would like to see some pics of your set-up if you have time.Sounds like your wife treats ya good.That sounds like a nice suprise.I am definatley going to do something about the floor. Id imagine it would be pretty easy to trip over those ribs.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Kyle I'll take a few in between the rain in the morning, just give ya a few more ideas to toss around. and yes sir, she loves this fishing game as much and knows what is "needed" for supplies :wink:, just a pair of shoes here and there and an outfit ya know, still doesn't seem even trade to me but I'm not gonna complain:wink:

11. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im just about done with it. It started rainin today so I wasnt able to finish.:confused2:The switch panel came in the mail the other day so that definately helped.lol. I hooked it up to test everything out and believe it or not everything worked the FIRST time.:big_smile:I built a small console for the panel and built a removeable floor for the middle and part of the front.Sure makes walking around alot easier.I also made a bait tank for the boat out of an old 5 gal cooler. It is wired to the switch panel along with anchor light, running light, bilge pump,12 volt outlet and soon a fish finder.It barely takes up any space which is my favorite part about it.I also added a cup holer to the console.The battery is in the front of the boat with the cosole down by the drivers seat. I will use a separate battery for the trolling motor.Thanks for all the help.Pictures tomorrow.

12. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    Nice boat,will look tomarow for pics. Thanks

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Well, here are some pics of it 90% done. The weather didn't cooperate again today so the pics are a little dark. I will take more pictures tomorrow that have the bait tank and hopefully better light.
    :0a23:
    Now its time for slime!:wink::smile2:

Attached Files:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nice job, looks good! Now for the SLIME!:wink:

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice toy-diong a good job buddy!

16. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Greetings arkrivercatman,

The little console with the cupholders is brilliant.
    I would probably go that route if i had power wood working tools but since i don't i may be just cutting into the center bench area in the back. I have the same lake jon except it's 2 feet shorter. your setup looks pretty clean and the pictures helped a bunch to visualze. Thank you.
    I assume that the switch panel has built in fuses correct? did you need to use any distribution blocks or is everything wired to the switch panel?
    another question, do you navigate looking forward as the back seat appears to be in the center or do you find yourself sitting sideways?

Any way, thank you for sharing with the rest of us.

regards,
    m.a.d.

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thank you. Yes the panel has built in fuses and everything is wired straight to the switch. The seats are easily moveable and when under tow I have them offset so that I can control the motor and see without the person in front being in the way. On a river I can anchor and move the back seat up to the front and fish out of the back. So far everything works great.

18. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Greetings arkrivercatman, sounds logical. you mentioned everything works well but if you do find yourself modifying or tweaking something in the future please do post about it. thank you again,
    regards,
    m.a.d.

19. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    run your wires in 1/2cpvc it is smaller then sch40 pvc also a no glare stern light is really nice it will not blind you because you have to leave it on all night as long your on the water

also that is a nice looking boat and good luck