Navigation lights on boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CatSlayer715, Sep 10, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    What do you guys use for navigating the rivers at night? I just have a battery powered spot light that i hold in my hand while driving. I got to go hella slow around here b/c of the fallen trees and logs. What setup do you guys use to not have to worry about hitting stuff as much?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Natural ability of the human eye to see in the dark and knowing the water you fish.
    I'll use mag light periodically but a spotlight at night on a river is usually too much light and much of it gets refracted back at you. Totally ruins your night vision.
    Just like trying to run highbeams on a car in a fog. Kick down to low beams and you can see farther into the fog.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    At the minimum, I run the red, green and white lights required by USCG regulations, which most states have adopted. I'll go along with Mark about spot lights, fixed or hand held...they should only be used at the ramp or boat dock. Think USCG regs prohibit running with a fixed spot light in the on position. Hand held can be used if you turn it on and off as needed.

4. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    thanks for the posts guys. i def. have the red and green lights for my boat and i use a glorified flashlight. its a big flashlight with the big square battery inside of it. I guess that will have to do

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've used anything from a fancy HID spotlight that will light up the bank a half mile away, to the cheapie $20 halogen spotlights and even flashlights. The more time I spend on the water the more I agree with Mark. With the reflectivity of the water nothing is going to work like a car headlight, and you are better off slowing down and just using your night vision.

But there are times that you will see something with your night vision that you need a better look at. The $20 halogen spotlights are about the best I have found for occasional spotting.

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was sitting on the dock bank fishing on the Monongahela River one night last week when a barge came up the river. This is a narrow spot and he was going pretty slow. He was using a spot light on the tow that was scanning the river almost a mile in front. I have never seen a light like that on a boat. It was like a search light. The thing lit me and the spot where I was fishing up like day light. When they saw me, they did move the light off me.

I don't use my 12 ft jon boat at night. No light right now. But I am planning to put some on.

I do know here in WV we have the same regs the Coast Guard has.