Navigating Large Rivers

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by vlparrish, Jan 18, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I figured I would make this post, just in case it helps someone in navigating large rivers.
    This past summer I was fishing a tournament on the Ohio and a pleasure boat approached us with several people in it that appeared to be intoxicated. They were definately confused because they said they were lost. They asked directions for a specific place, that I knew was down river, so I simply said "you need to go downriver" . Their reply was "which way is downriver". So, I pointed them in the right direction.
    Now I know that you can get confused at times especially in the dark, but if you keep these two things in mind you should never get lost. Although this only applies to rivers that have barge traffic. You will encounter marker buoys showing the river channel and beacons on the bank showing a bend in the river. When travelling upstream the green buoys and beacons will be on your left and the red ones will be on your right. If you remember to keep the green buoys on your left and the red ones to your right while traveling upstream, and vice versa when traveling downstream, you will always be in the channel.
    Although, even armed with all this info mistakes can happen. Especially if drugs or alcohol is involved. Remember not only is operating a boat while intoxicated illegal, it is often very dangerous, and sometimes fatal.
    I hope someone gets some use out of this post. Vern

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    You have to respect the water. Many people drowned each year by being careless. The water, especially a river at night, demands our most respect. I seen a pontoon boat about 2am in the morning going up and down the river. Singing and dancing, hooting and howlering. I didn't have a problem with that, but they had no lights on. I also seen a boat last year pass me in the dark, wide open, no lights. I don't care what people do, just don't harm me in the process! I don't want to go for a 3am dip!

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Nice info there. Hope someone read's it and learns something.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just remember your three Rs! Red, Right, Returning.
    When you are returning to port (or going upstream), keep the red buoys on your right.

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Good info. And I agree there are way to many idiots on the water.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Also just float by a marker and see what direction the current is taking you.

Sounds like those people should have ran into a warden. And a big old ticket..

PEte

7. air4se

air4se New Member

State:
    Jackson TN
    Watch the fog! Saw one boat following another and the first one shut down and the scond ran right up on him. Hurt the driver a little and damaged both boats. FOG will get you!

8. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I was just letting the current take me down river one early morning. Just using the electric trolling motor. It was dark and the fog was so thick I couldn't see anylights from houses on shore. I could here someone talking and before I knew It I was passing another boat that was anchored. Only missed him by 10ft. He had his anchor light on, it was just to foggy to see. I don't want to think what would have happen if I was running the big motor! Sometimes your ears are better than your eyes!