beware of objects in the path
try to maintain visual
other boats without lights etc wont be on your map
if in doubt
slow your ass down

·
Registered
307 Posts
I mainly watch the water and just glance occassionally at my GPS to make sure I am staying towards the middle of the river. Of course I am mainly fishing the Ohio River or lakes so I have some room generally before I run out of water. LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I use it because it looks good. I do not trust it so I am looking up at where I am going more than looking down at where it thinks I am. It can be very handy when looking for the waypoints you have made or when moving around on an unfamiliar lake.

I don't usually get lost on a river since I can stick my finger in the water and tell which was is upstream. But I have been on a big river, at night when there was no moon, trying to find my camp. A waypoint or ramp symbol can be a blessed thing. I found by watching the river bank from out in the safer deep water that the bank all looked the same in the dark.

It seems to me that a really good, top of the line fish finder with GPS and all the whistles whips and bells is a lot like the human brain. We end up only using 10% of what it is capable of.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I can certainly relate to that Dave. I can mull over the owner manual for hours and can't remember what I read the next day. Youtube is the best training material I have found and then it is only good if I can go thru the steps multiple times so I won't forget it.

I like to look at a reservoir like Watts Bar and change the colors shown at different depths. If I can find a flooded creek where the channel get really narrow and then opens back up, it is a good place to anchor and checkout. So learning to change the depth a color is shown can make these these ambush points easier to locate and then mark.

All we can do is try.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Yes, I have a Humminbird Helix 12 GPS Mega+ SI. I am just starting to get comfortable with it but just haven't been out enough yet to set and play with it. I also have a lowrance Elite 7 Ti Si which I like also but the screen isn't big enough to get a lot out of the SI. To me the Bird program is much easier to work with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts