Navagation lights on a Jon boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KYTRAPPER, Jul 6, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I just got a 14' Jon:smile2: Anywho I need to get some lights on it. I was looking tonight at our local wally world at the bow and stern light poles. I saw a set of lights that were removable. Looked like "flashlights" with the red/green navigation lights on the end. They ran on 2 D batterys. They come with a removable clamp to put them on the boat. Anyone used these?? and does anyone know of a good place to order light packages?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I had those on a small v-bottom several years ago and they weren't all that great. Go ahead and spend the extra cash on a good set, you will be glad you did in the long run.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just because they are made , packaged , and sold doesnt mean they are in compliance. Its not illegal to market and sell items not in compliance. There is a bunch of junk on the market for boats. Buy name brand like Perko and buy from the middle of their line. Even some of their low end stuff is suspect.
    Red must appear red at 1 mile. Green must appear green at 1 mile.

I tell ya, the way to go is LED especially on a small boat where you arent apt to have multiple battery configurations.
    On my toon rebuild everything is going to be LED down to the trailer lights.
    It costs more out of pocket but they have a greater lifetime with less trouble.

I did some work for a man a few years ago that is in the LED business. Particularly where motorcycles are concerned. He sells all those different colored LEDS people put on their motorcycles to highlight the chrome and what not.
    Something like that would work great for interior lighting and they are cheap being they arent marketed under a marine format.
    If they can hang on a motorcycle to be sure they would work just as well on a boat.

http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Thanks guys. I was thinking along the same lines. Every other boat I had was already equiped with lights. In Ky we have to have a red/green on the bow and a 360* white on the stern. No other requirments are mentioned. Where would be a good place to order some?

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You might try ebay.
    Lots of used stuff there.
    I got a used bow light for way less than 1/2 of what cheap new ones cost.
    I'm still looking for a stern light. If I could just figure a lens I'd make my own. I just don't think a light on a stick ought to cost 20 bucks.
    best of luck
    just

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Actually its the lens cover that i need.